PDA

View Full Version : 2012

maestrowork
07-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Why oh why do they have to show so much in trailers. Like, the whole movie plus all the SFX shots?

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2415723033/

Kurtz
07-02-2009, 09:29 PM
[standard trailer voice] This summer, it's John Cusack versus everything[/]

AdamH
07-02-2009, 09:52 PM
Wow! That was cool. Saw the whole movie and saved myself a few bucks and about 2 plus hours of my life.

Totally like another version of A Day After Tomorrow.

Who am I kidding? I'm a sucker for disaster movies.:e2drown:

Shadow_Ferret
07-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Sounds like it's got some AWESOME!!!! bass! Yeah!

But do you really think that's the whole movie? In 2 minutes?

And from the name, I thought it was another Arthur C. Clarke film. :)

maestrowork
07-02-2009, 10:05 PM
It's just 2 hours of more of the same. Doesn't mean it won't be awesome. Disaster movies are cheesy, guilty pleasure, eye candy.

"We need to not fight each other, for humanity's sake." oh oh oh, when did I hear that before? Cheesecake Factory?

Yeah, but I'll see it, most definitely.

Shadow_Ferret
07-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Isnt' that sort of what THe Day After was? 2 hours of disaster and people trying to survive? In fact, most of the lastest ones are that. Wasn't there something called "Volcano?"

Its rehashing of a theme that Airport, Poseiden Adventure, and the Tower Inferno started. The ante has been raised globally thanks to CGI.

firedrake
07-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Cheesy, but entertaining. I can't wait.

I love the complete disregard the director has for iconic structures like the White House or the Vatican, he certainly loves destroying them.

Fokker Aeroplanbau
07-02-2009, 10:12 PM
Looks decent, maybe I'll get it on NetFlix.

Enzo
07-04-2009, 12:11 PM
It looks like a remake of Armageddon, or Michael Bay on steroids.
I can't see it offering anything new we already didn't have in Armageddon, The Day after Tomorrow, the new Transformers etc: just stuff hitting big objects.

Zoombie
07-04-2009, 12:33 PM
I love this tagline

"The Mayan calendar predicted it, science has confirmed it, but we never imagined, it could really happen. "

HAAHAHAHAAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAAAHAH AAHA
HAAHAHAHAAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAAAHAHAAHA

The Mayan Calendar predicted no such thing! The way I understand it, the Mayan Calendar goes on cycles, and that if they were still using that system by 2012, they'd simply reset it back to zero and continue on as though nothing had changed.

And science confirmed no such thing!

Can't we come up with something better than the Mayan calender to make an exciting movie?

Like...

um...

Aliens suddenly invade during World War 2, forcing all of humanity to take up arms against them, uniting us at the time of our greatest division.

I'd watch that...

Wavy_Blue
07-04-2009, 08:35 PM
Meh. I can't stand disaster movies. Which is strange, because I LOVE action flicks. I guess there's just something about knowing exactly how the movie is going to end the second you see the preview that makes it not seem like much fun to watch. I HATED Poseidon.

maestrowork
07-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Oh, but this one... I don't know how it's going to end. The entire planet is falling apart. Manhattan just sank into the ocean. So how are they going to fix that?

As cheesy and stupid as The Day After Tomorrow was (and some of it was REALLY bad -- like the tornadoes in LA. Oh gawd that was awful), I liked parts of it. I liked the wolves. I liked the book burning discussion. I liked the quick freeze. And I loved how Americans were running across the border to Mexico, seeking asylum. That's just ironic.

Like I said, they're guilty pleasures but sometimes they have something that just makes you go, "Wow, that's so neat."

maestrowork
07-04-2009, 08:49 PM
Besides, knowing how it ends doesn't mean the events before the end can't be entertaining. I know how Pearl Harbor was going to end, but I still liked Tora! Tora! Tora! How about the Titanic? Or Indiana Jones (as if he wasn't going to save the day)? Or James Bond? Or Transformers (right, as if you don't know Optimus Prime is going to kick some alien robot butts)?

Jcomp
07-04-2009, 09:21 PM
I'm expecting visual awesomeness accompanied by copious (but surmountable) plot idiocy.

maestrowork
07-04-2009, 09:25 PM
I'm expecting visual awesomeness accompanied by copious (but surmountable) plot idiocy.

Pure escapism.

As long as I can see clearly what buildings and which landmarks are falling, I'll be happy. Don't have six indistinguishable robots fighting one another in close-ups!

Jcomp
07-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Pure escapism.

As long as I can see clearly what buildings and which landmarks are falling, I'll be happy. Don't have six indistinguishable robots fighting on another in close-ups!

Amen.

I have a buddy of mine who actually thinks that Roland Emmerich, given a good story, could make a sci-fi / spec-fic classic instead of mere popcorn flicks. Been debating him about this for a while now. I think Emmerich's niche is these sort of throwback disaster flicks, this is where he's comfortable and entertaining. He doesn't care enough about detail or plain common sense to make a masterpiece, even if he throws out some pretty arresting visuals. I just wish he would get over the Day After Tomorrow style attempts to shoehorn some sort of message into his movies.

Toothpaste
07-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Emmerich is a total guilty pleasure for me, I love seeing how the famous landmarks will be destroyed this time. Though he has a fair bit in common with the Bay, as Maestro said, there's a couple big differences: you can actually SEE what's happening, and I think he sets up tension well and has a good sense of pace (again unlike Bay whose films I find genuinely boring by the end, they happen all at the same pitch and tempo).

maestrowork
07-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Yeah, the problem with Day After Tomorrow was it's seen as a "message" film -- and it was. The whole green, environmental theme. No one likes heavy-handed message films.

Independence Day still remains one of the best "cheesy" extravaganzas of all times. Roland Emmerich definitely is a master of this genre. And I'm glad he's back to do his thing.

I'm sure, though, he's going to sneak some "messages" in there but hopefully it would be more subtle and ironic this time. I love, for example, how the Vatican crumbles, killing all the folks holding vigils. It's totally un-PC (probably controversial, too) and ironic. But in the context (it's, after all, about a Mayan prediction), you have to find some humor in that.

Jcomp
07-04-2009, 11:11 PM
I'm sure, though, he's going to sneak some "messages" in there but hopefully it would be more subtle and ironic this time. I love, for example, how the Vatican crumbles, killing all the folks holding vigils. It's totally un-PC (probably controversial, too) and ironic. But in the context (it's, after all, about a Mayan prediction), you have to find some humor in that.

Yeah, when I was looking at the trailer it seemed for a second like the catastrophe had declared war on Catholicism. The statue of Jesus in Brazil crumbles, the vatican gets destroyed complete with a crack in the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel dividing God and man. It was a few seconds of symbolism overload, but that's fine.

My larger beef is when a movie, like Day After Tomorrow, shoots for a message but gets its facts as screwed as possible. Movies can be factually inaccurate--it's just a flick, not history class--but don't act like you're imparting scholarly wisdom when you're calling the Mayans the first civilization. You're just setting yourself up to get skewered.

Vincent
07-04-2009, 11:23 PM
Amen.

I have a buddy of mine who actually thinks that Roland Emmerich, given a good story, could make a sci-fi / spec-fic classic instead of mere popcorn flicks. Been debating him about this for a while now. I think Emmerich's niche is these sort of throwback disaster flicks, this is where he's comfortable and entertaining. He doesn't care enough about detail or plain common sense to make a masterpiece, even if he throws out some pretty arresting visuals. I just wish he would get over the Day After Tomorrow style attempts to shoehorn some sort of message into his movies.
I happen to love Stargate.

Kurtz
07-04-2009, 11:29 PM
My larger beef is when a movie, like Day After Tomorrow, shoots for a message but gets its facts as screwed as possible. Movies can be factually inaccurate--it's just a flick, not history class--but don't act like you're imparting scholarly wisdom when you're calling the Mayans the first civilization. You're just setting yourself up to get skewered.

Oh my God do they do that they weren't even the first civilisation in Mesoamerica, let alone America

maestrowork
07-05-2009, 03:25 AM
I happen to love Stargate.

Stargate was awesome.

The movie that screwed them up was Gozilla. What was that about? It was dreadful.

Zoombie
07-05-2009, 04:35 AM
The problem I have is...

Godzilla you can fight.

Aliens you can beat

Cold you can warm up with.

Alien portals are just fucking cool.

But how in the flying PISS of HELL are they going to even remotely survive the WORLD sinking into the OCEANS!?!

maestrowork
07-05-2009, 08:19 PM
But how in the flying PISS of HELL are they going to even remotely survive the WORLD sinking into the OCEANS!?!

Cue Kevin Costner from Water World.

(the preview mentioned about a boat. So I guess they'll be going after the Noah's Ark angle).

Jcomp
07-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Oh my God do they do that they weren't even the first civilisation in Mesoamerica, let alone America

Exactly what I said in my review. Except with considerably more profanity.

Kurtz
07-05-2009, 11:22 PM
Exactly what I said in my review. Except with considerably more profanity.

Why oh why is a film by MEL GIBSON still the most accurate portrayal of 1/8th of my genetic makeup? This is embarassing.

Forbidden Snowflake
07-06-2009, 03:04 AM
It's one of my pleasure, the world ends and everything is destroyed.

And I still keep on hoping that at some point in history there will be a movie where the world actually ends. Literally

And not with a cheap way out like in 'Knowing'.

Cyia
07-06-2009, 03:28 AM
Cue Kevin Costner from Water World.

(the preview mentioned about a boat. So I guess they'll be going after the Noah's Ark angle).

Boat? Aw man... here I was hoping it was a space ship... ;)

The Noah's Ark bit is pretty clear from the airlift with the giraffes in the trailer, though I'm not sure how they expect ships to stay afloat when the major land masses are sinking into the ocean. Massive quakes, etc.

And would someone please tell me why every disaster film/alien invasion film/ asteroid hitting earth film always goes straight for the landmarks? Sometime they need to set one of these out in the middle of nowhere and the people in the cities are glued to their TV's watching the heartland get stomped. Or some alien just needs to aim a giant laser at the poles and melt the ice caps. While TPTB are off blaming global warming (and trying to tread water) the invasion can commence.

(The scene that bugs me is the JFK aircraft carrier rolling over the White House. It looked like it was on the Potomac side. You can't fit an aircraft carrier on the Potomac. Especially not one that seems to be three times as big as the White House itself.)

maestrowork
07-06-2009, 06:01 AM
Twister destroyed the heartland.

War of the Worlds happened mostly in the countryside between New York and Boston.

Knowing happened outside of Boston (no obvious landmarks).

But you have to agree, landmarks and historical buildings and monuments are fun... even with post-9/11 sentiments.

Dommo
07-06-2009, 03:52 PM
I hate movies like the "The Core", "The Day After Tomorrow", etc. They're based on 99% certified grade A bullshit, and rather than showing a disaster that might realistically happen and treating it as such, they have to make shit up and make it look cool.

How about a movie about what happens in the world after the yellowstone caldera goes up, or something like that? Treat it more like a documentary and less like an action flick.

Jcomp
07-06-2009, 07:42 PM
How about a movie about what happens in the world after the yellowstone caldera goes up, or something like that? Treat it more like a documentary and less like an action flick.

Spoilerville. Don't Read. You've Been Warned.

Actually, that's apparently what happens in this movie (http://www.worstpreviews.com/trailer.php?id=1275&item=2). Courtesy of the super secret German trailer translated to English. Now how "realistic" its treatment of the scenario is remains to be seen but seems already in doubt.

Exiting Spoilerville

Exir
07-07-2009, 06:08 AM
I hate movies like the "The Core"

"The Core" is one of the funniest parodies of 1950s science fiction movies that has never been recognized as such by movie critics. I mean, everyone was rating it as if it was serious! The whole freaking team from the director to the actors to the crew were playing a giant joke. I mean, there was even a metal called "unobtanium"!

Chasing the Horizon
07-07-2009, 07:05 AM
"The Core" is one of the funniest parodies of 1950s science fiction movies that has never been recognized as such by movie critics. I mean, everyone was rating it as if it was serious! The whole freaking team from the director to the actors to the crew were playing a giant joke. I mean, there was even a metal called "unobtanium"!
You mean there are actually people who didn't realize that? :Wha: That would be like watching Borat and thinking it was an honest, serious documentary, lol. I love The Core, but it's not meant to be taken seriously.

I'll definitely go see 2012, just for the special effects. And the trailer didn't give away too much; I totally want to watch 2 hours worth of that. :D

I hate movies like the "The Core", "The Day After Tomorrow", etc. They're based on 99% certified grade A bullshit, and rather than showing a disaster that might realistically happen and treating it as such, they have to make shit up and make it look cool.

Um, looking cool is the entire point of disaster movies like this. It IS an action flick. If you want a realistic documentary, then go watch one of the real disaster documentaries (Seconds From Disaster, It Could Happen Tomorrow, Super Volcanoes, etc.), that are on cable all the time.

It's fine to not like the genre, but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the movies. I personally hate romantic comedies, but that doesn't mean I say 'why do they keep making these stupid funny, romantic movies? They should make them all into dramas so they suit my tastes'. I just don't watch romantic comedies. ;) None of the movies you listed pretended to be anything other than what they are, which is action-packed eye-candy.

Totally agree about the heavy-handed message in The Day After Tomorrow. Not one of the better disaster movies, IMO. Independence Day is one of my all time favorites, though.

That tag-line for 2012 is bugging me, though. "The Mayan calendar predicted it, science has confirmed it, but we never imagined, it could really happen." Should that last comma be there? I'm thinking it shouldn't . . .

Exir
07-07-2009, 07:11 AM
Should that last comma be there? I'm thinking it shouldn't . . .

Comma splice in a tag-line lol.

Zoombie
07-07-2009, 12:52 PM
That's the ONLY thing bugging you about that tagline!?

Exir
07-07-2009, 01:16 PM
Zoombie: The Mayan calendar did not prove -- oh I see what you mean!

Fulk
07-09-2009, 05:25 AM
This parody of 2012 makes it seem a whole lot more interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW2qxFkcLM0

dgiharris
07-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Meh. I can't stand disaster movies. Which is strange, because I LOVE action flicks. I guess there's just something about knowing exactly how the movie is going to end the second you see the preview that makes it not seem like much fun to watch. I HATED Poseidon.

For me, the reason I can't stand end of the world movies is because the themes are just too cliche for me. besides, how do you fight the antagonist when it is the planet killing you?

Stargate was awesome.

The movie that screwed them up was Gozilla. What was that about? It was dreadful.

My Godzilla pet peeve is that whenever you have a giant monster, apparently they are bullet, bomb, missile, and tank shell proof. Sure, our bombs and missiles can destroy entire buildings, penetrate a few feet of steel, put a 75ft crater in the ground, but they won't put a scratch on any monster taller than 100ft...

Exactly, for me, all End-of-the-World movies are meh :Shrug:

And I still keep on hoping that at some point in history there will be a movie where the world actually ends.

Literally

And not with a cheap way out like in 'Knowing'.

there was a Canadian movie on HBO that did that, it had Sandra Oh in it

<some google fu>

It was called Last Night http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0156729/

It was character driven and pretty damn good if memory serves.

Overall, 2012 just seems like special effects cotton candy. which is fine, but not my cup of tea. I mean, I already know how the movie is going to go without even seeing it.

Mel...

Zoombie
07-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Okay, I have to see this movie

And I have to see it due to a very special video game.

This video game was called Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy if you're American, and fat and uncool and all the European people laugh at you) and it was about a everyday joe named Lucas Kane (no really) living in New York. One day, Lucas stabs a random man to death for no reason, and now he's gotta figure out what compelled him to do such a horrible thing.

Long story short: MAYANS DID IT!

Which leads to an awesome flying kung-fu fight with an ancient Mayan wizard. Which culminates in Lucas wall running away from helicopters before escaping, only to then be attacked, FOR NO REASON, by the INTERNET.

The internet, people! It comes to life and attacks Lucas Kane. It does not get any more fucking insane than that, now does it?

Oh, and then the hobo shows up with the swat team and guns down the internet, right in time for Lucas to fight the Mayans at Area 51. Which is where he got his magical powers. Cause his mother was pregnant while researching there.

I do not know how high the authors of Fahrenheit were when they wrote it, but...damn, I really really want to find out through personal testing.

Anywho!

This whole story has a point, because...when I first described Fahrenheit to a friend, his reaction was: "Mayans...what the FUCK!?"

And that's pretty much the line we all parrot whenever anything weird or strange comes out of left field in a plotline.

And I want to go to see 2012, then shout it at the screen.

That's just the same reason that I went to see X-Men 3, despite the foreknowledge that it would suck. It was all because I wanted to stand up at the end of the film and go, "Oooh! Now I get it! They're MUTANTS!"

Zoombie: Professional film troll

Kurtz
07-09-2009, 05:58 PM
I had repressed that game.

It started off so awesome, it was a real interactive who-dunnit that didn't suck.

Then the blacksploitation character came in... then the psychic old woman... then the magic hobo... then the Maya... then the internet (I swear I don't actually remember this but it sounds like the sort of thing to happen).

That's just the same reason that I went to see X-Men 3, despite the foreknowledge that it would suck. It was all because I wanted to stand up at the end of the film and go, "Oooh! Now I get it! They're MUTANTS!"

Fun game: watch an X-men movie. Replace every reference to the word "mutants" with "queers". Its goddamn hilarious.

xXFireSpiritXx
07-18-2009, 11:36 PM
Hopefully the film doesn't ignite a 2010 hysteria. Even though the film looks like pure delectable cheese. I know I will enjoy it and shriek and giggle. But at the same time 12/21/2012 sure is an ominous date.

Do I think it is the end of the world? No. But still it is kinda creepy. If all of that crap started happening like in the movie I think I would just get a pair of those children's water wings and see what happens.

benbradley
07-19-2009, 04:05 AM
I love this tagline

"The Mayan calendar predicted it, science has confirmed it, but we never imagined, it could really happen. "

HAAHAHAHAAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAAAHAH AAHA
HAAHAHAHAAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAAAHAHAAHA

The Mayan Calendar predicted no such thing! The way I understand it, the Mayan Calendar goes on cycles, and that if they were still using that system by 2012, they'd simply reset it back to zero and continue on as though nothing had changed.

And science confirmed no such thing!
Yeah, that stuff is so much bullshit.

Can't we come up with something better than the Mayan calender to make an exciting movie?

Like...

um...
Well, someone in the trailer DID mention Yellowstone Park, that's where the big supervolcano caldron is. Google that.

And be afraid. Be so fuckin' afraid of the loss of all the human race worldwide when that thing blows (those outside the USA who might live through the initial blast would need many years of stored food, nothing's gonna grow with all that dist and dirt in the air, it'll be as dark as a Nuclear Winter). It could happen not just next year, but next week or tomorrow (or it could hold off a few hundred thousand years, but that's not very exciting or scary).
But there are 13 people currently in the Space Shuttle/International Space Station right now, and at least one is female. With luck they won't all have had vasectomies or hysterectomies.

I can just imagine the view from 300 miles up, "Wow, lookit that, looks like a nuclear bomb blew up!" and with a few of how far all the dirt and dust has expanded every 90 minutes.

But yeah, that they would use that as a tagline speaks volumes about what Hollywood thinks of Americans' knowledge of science and other things, or is it Hollywood's knowledge. Whatever.

Hopefully the film doesn't ignite a 2010 hysteria. Even though the film looks like pure delectable cheese. I know I will enjoy it and shriek and giggle. But at the same time 12/21/2012 sure is an ominous date.

Do I think it is the end of the world? No. But still it is kinda creepy. If all of that crap started happening like in the movie I think I would just get a pair of those children's water wings and see what happens.
Perhaps necessary but not sufficient. I don't think that would be enough to survive those 100+foot waves. But at least we have three years to get SCUBA-certified, I'm gonna get started this summer, and hope the "Love Boat" doesn't land on me.

Jcomp
07-19-2009, 05:09 AM
I had repressed that game.

It started off so awesome, it was a real interactive who-dunnit that didn't suck.

Then the blacksploitation character came in... then the psychic old woman... then the magic hobo... then the Maya... then the internet (I swear I don't actually remember this but it sounds like the sort of thing to happen).

I too was on board with Indigo Prophecy at first. Then it jumped the shark. And turned from Steve Urkel to Stefan Urquell mid-flight.

maestrowork
07-19-2009, 05:25 AM
But there are 13 people currently in the Space Shuttle/International Space Station right now, and at least one is female. With luck they won't all have had vasectomies or hysterectomies.

Interesting (jot down novel ideas...) But how long can they survive up there? Enough time to multiply and repopulate the world once everything is settled? And also wouldn't the third generation be... you know, incestuous since there's only one female (unless there is more than one, of course).

Zoombie
07-19-2009, 10:41 AM
I've been thinking about the Calderia.

Is there a way to bleed of pressure without setting the whole thing off?

Like how small forest fires help prevent GIGANTANORMUS fires?

Kinda like that. But with...Yellowstone.