The cravings have begun...

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I thought I was miraculously exempt from that whole "pregnancy cravings" thing. Silly and totally psychological, I said! Not for me at all!

So someone explain how I ended up coming home from the grocery store with a six-pack of V8 and a jar of marmalade.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I had to drive out at 10:30 at night to buy a lemon to peel and eat. Just go with it. It's fun.

(as long as it's reasonably healthy)

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Through all three of my pregnancies I was apparently possessed by a fruit bat.

My theory is your body is just trying to find certain nutrients. Go with it, within reason.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Just watch out for the donut cravings (I don't care if it's 330am I want a boston cream and we're going to timmy's!). And the cream cheese cravings (on a spoon tyvm). And the french fry cravings. But the french fry ones can be fun when you're craving something sweet to dip them in. A mixture of Wing's plum sauce (the packets from take out) and honey works well.

No, I have no clue why I gained 70% of my body weight while I was pregnant.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
You know what's great in pregnancy? Those high fiber, good cereals before bed. A small bowl will really help curb those middle of the night cravings. Personally, I like Kashi products, but they didn't have those when I was preggers. So, Shredded Wheat, Total Raisin Bran, you know, stuff like that.

I was just so hungry all the time.

Devil Ledbetter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You know what's great in pregnancy? Those high fiber, good cereals before bed. A small bowl will really help curb those middle of the night cravings. Personally, I like Kashi products, but they didn't have those when I was preggers. So, Shredded Wheat, Total Raisin Bran, you know, stuff like that.

I would get up in the middle of the night and make 7 grain cream of wheat with berries.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Mine was beef jerky and popcorn. Every pregnancy. I actually lost weight every pregnancy...

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com

You nailed this one. I have a cabinet filled with cereal boxes at the moment. Shredded wheat is my mainstay. This is because 1) it fills my tummy and 2) it actually has the highest values of folic acid and iron for any of the fortified cereals I looked at. And since I'm not taking prenatal vitamins, it's a good substitute.

Yes. Yes. Yes. Although actually I've noticed less of this in the past week or two. Sort of goes up and down now. Before it was like MUST CONSUME MASS QUANTITIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a friend who's preggers. She's craving chocolate...
*puts down Mars bar*

*looks at belly, notices no line-of-sight to belt buckle*

*goes pale*

Uh-oh.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I craved green grapes. I was weirdly specific about it...they had to be seedless green grapes. Not seeded, not red, GREEN. Ice cold, too. And oh, yes, I was always hungry enough to eat a pound of them in one sitting, and I'd be hungry just a couple of hours later.

Also, thanks to the need for increased blood volume, I was always drinking something. Usually juice, but ice cold (not over ice, though) milk seemed to be much more satisfying. I'd stand there in front of the fridge and guzzle it right out of the jug, too, lol.

I don't miss these cravings, I must say.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I don't miss these cravings, I must say.

I will be happy to get rid of them as well. I am not much of a "food person," and I find it really annoying to have to eat so very much. I used to dispense with food by eating two meals per day plus a little snack in the morning. Now foraging is like a full-time occupation.

The V8, though... not sure what possessed me. I got home, opened up the first can, got halfway through, and realized THIS STUFF IS DISGUSTING! WHAT AM I DOING?

Anyone want 5 cans of V8?

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
I will be happy to get rid of them as well. I am not much of a "food person," and I find it really annoying to have to eat so very much. I used to dispense with food by eating two meals per day plus a little snack in the morning. Now foraging is like a full-time occupation.

The V8, though... not sure what possessed me. I got home, opened up the first can, got halfway through, and realized THIS STUFF IS DISGUSTING! WHAT AM I DOING?

nnooooooooo thank you. I can't even stand the smell of it.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Yes. Yes. Yes. Although actually I've noticed less of this in the past week or two. Sort of goes up and down now. Before it was like MUST CONSUME MASS QUANTITIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, I gained 43ilbs on salad and Ovaltine. (That's what I wanted. I wasn't being a freak.)

If you eat really healthy food, don't worry too much about weight gain. It'll come back off, especially if you're not someone who recreationally eats normally.

Can I ask, why aren't you taking prenatal vitamins? No judgement. I've just some some preliminary midwifery studies (years back, at this point) and am curious at what new advice is out there.

Devil Ledbetter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I love V8. I usually drink it hot. For breakfast. My coworkers call it "gory."

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I'm with Melia on the V8. I bet the craving comes back. I always found it to taste better with a little black pepper added.

With my first, I pretty much lived on hot wings and fruit the first trimester. Sometime a little Subway or pizza would be thrown in. After that, it was fresh fruit and vegetable, and meat made me feel sick. It was nothing for me to throw half a bag of frozen vegetables in a bowl, microwave steam them, top with butter, salt and pepper, and sit down and munch them.

With my second, I pretty much craved meat and carbs the whole pregnancy. Thick, fat cuts of steak and breads. Most vegetables smelled awful to me.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I thought I was miraculously exempt from that whole "pregnancy cravings" thing. Silly and totally psychological, I said! Not for me at all!

And this? :roll: :ROFL:

Your body craves what it needs, and it's best not to totally ignore it. I found I was never satisfied by anything other than what I was craving.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Olives! And Kraft Dinner. I think I needed the salt.