Tip Sheets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nandi

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone explain a little more about how these are best constructed and how they are used? I have used a subsidy publishing company, so I am doing my own publicity to promote my book.

When sending tip sheets to the media, are they sent with a cover letter, or is all the information included on the tip sheet?

Thanks very much.

SandraBeckwith

Helping authors promote
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.buildbookbuzz.com
Great questions, Nandi. I offered advice on how to write & construct them when I was interviewed on the topic by Startup Nation. They are designed to be sent like a news release w/out a cover letter. They stand alone & don't need any additional explanation.

However, I often use them as backup material when I'm pitching a specific article topic, and then I do attach the tip sheet to the pitch letter if it contains further supporting material for the idea I'm pitching (w/e-mail, that means the e-mail message is the pitch letter and I paste the tip sheet below the letter). Using my book Publicity for Nonprofits as an example, maybe I'm pitching a trade magazine read by nonprofit leaders on an article on how to write a compelling op-ed. If I've already written & distributed a tip sheet on how to write an op-ed, I'll say in my pitch letter, "I've attached a tip sheet that offers some of my advice on the subject." The tip sheet shows the editor I'm pitching that I have good ideas and will bring substance to an interview on the topic.

I hope this helps!

Sandy

Nandi

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, again, Sandy. That link is really helpful. You are most gracious to share your expertise with us here on AW.

Status
Not open for further replies.