PDA

View Full Version : Tip Sheets

Nandi
07-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Can anyone explain a little more about how these are best constructed and how they are used? I have used a subsidy publishing company, so I am doing my own publicity to promote my book.

When sending tip sheets to the media, are they sent with a cover letter, or is all the information included on the tip sheet?

Thanks very much.

SandraBeckwith
07-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Great questions, Nandi. I offered advice on how to write & construct them (http://www.startupnation.com/articles/1707/1/tip-sheets-publicity.asp)when I was interviewed on the topic by Startup Nation. They are designed to be sent like a news release w/out a cover letter. They stand alone & don't need any additional explanation.

However, I often use them as backup material when I'm pitching a specific article topic, and then I do attach the tip sheet to the pitch letter if it contains further supporting material for the idea I'm pitching (w/e-mail, that means the e-mail message is the pitch letter and I paste the tip sheet below the letter). Using my book Publicity for Nonprofits as an example, maybe I'm pitching a trade magazine read by nonprofit leaders on an article on how to write a compelling op-ed. If I've already written & distributed a tip sheet on how to write an op-ed, I'll say in my pitch letter, "I've attached a tip sheet that offers some of my advice on the subject." The tip sheet shows the editor I'm pitching that I have good ideas and will bring substance to an interview on the topic.

I hope this helps!

Sandy

Nandi
07-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Thanks, again, Sandy. That link is really helpful. You are most gracious to share your expertise with us here on AW.

SandraBeckwith
07-01-2009, 05:46 PM
I'm happy to share, Nandi!

Sandy