bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
A few of my favorite things:

pens.jpg

I have three more at work, but these are my favorites. I am a real ink bottle user, no cartridges, unless there are dire circumstances.

Anyone else?

dgrintalis

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl
Registered
Reaction score
Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark
I have a Waterman which I love. Like you, I prefer bottled ink. However, I do most of my writing now on my laptop so my pen hasn't been used too much lately.

I also have a beautiful glass fountain pen, but the nib is not as fine as I like.

Marcus

sept 5th and I'm Out
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm more of a convenience person. That can't be easy to maintain those or the ink, much less actually write effectively with them..

bettielee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Quite easy. And they write beautifully. You don't have to press down, you merely touch the nib to the paper. They also adapt themselves to your writing and grow easier to use as you break them in. It's like they know you.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a Waterman, but for daily use I used to use a Parker. It's was inexpensive but still a pretty nice pen.

I once used a fountain pen almost exclusively. Sadly, I've joined the masses and now mostly use a Pilot V5 or a Liquid Expresso (my office buys them by the crate). ;-(

Funny, back when I always used a fountain pen I would occasionally get noticed when I was writing out a check or something. Generally the person who noticed it was older. They would then make some comment that their dear (and probably departed) husband wouldn't use anything but a fountain pen either. It always seemed to please them that people still used a fountain pen.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
I have a Waterman which I've used for two novel first drafts. The clip on the cap has fallen off, but the pen writes beautifully. I haven't gotten beyond the convenience of cartridges. Does bottled ink vs. a cartridge make a difference?

Since I compose longhand, I've found that I can write for longer periods of time with a fountain pen than with a regular pen. The fountain pen is much easier on my hand.

Reaction score
When I write longhand, I use gel pens. Less wrist strain and not so messy as fountains.

bettielee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
I have a Waterman which I've used for two novel first drafts. The clip on the cap has fallen off, but the pen writes beautifully. I haven't gotten beyond the convenience of cartridges. Does bottled ink vs. a cartridge make a difference?

As long as you clean your pen nib, you shouldn't have trouble with cartridge ink. They say there is something to actually drawing the ink through the bladder when you refill that helps keep it from crystalizing and clogging the feed. I always rinse my nibs when I refill, anyway.

I personally find the ink flows better than the cartridge ink. The black is also darker from the bottle, or so I have found. I've never been happy with any black cartridge ink.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I've a couple of fountain pens and a quill (goose). I've also a caligraphy pen. I love the curves with thick to thin depth of the letter. I like using it to write gothic script.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I love fountain pens, but they simply don't work for me. I wind up making a big old mess, plus my handwriting is worsening by the day because I type so much. Some days, I stand in the supermarket, stare at my list, and wonder what the hell I need to buy.

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
After trying Pilot Easy Touch, I haven't wanted to use anything else. The flow of ink is extremely smooth and the grip has three ribbed planes. That grip is so natural. It just stays in place with a very light touch.

btw, the "med" is actually rather fine, which is my preference anyway.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
After trying Pilot Easy Touch, I haven't wanted to use anything else. The flow of ink is extremely smooth and the grip has three ribbed planes. That grip is so natural. It just stays in place with a very light touch.

This is what I use, exclusively. I love 'em.

Captain Scarf

Smart-casual Ninja
Registered
Reaction score
I've always used fountain pens for fiction writing whenever I can. Note taking in lectures and exam writing was a biro, with which I could write faster.

These days I have a calligraphy nib which makes my writing look all interesting and important.

Manix

Mutatis mutandis
Registered
Reaction score
I must try this new phenomenon of "writing with fountain pen" It sounds intriguing.

Rose English

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Late to this thread, but thought I'd add anyway, thanks Bettielee ;).

I have an inscribed stainless steel Parker fountain pen, given to me by colleagues ages ago when I worked in a (UK) office. I adore it, the weight in my hand, the nib, the smoothness of the barrel. When I first arrived in the States I panicked that I wouldn't be able to get cartridges for it, but I stock up whenever I find a Staples that sell the right kind.

I don't know exactly what it is about using such a pen, I find it slows me right down, which is wonderful for reflective writing, such as in my journal. I get entranced watching my hand forming the letters. I try very hard to make my letters uniform, and I think copperplate is a beautiful thing, but that might be going off at a tangent...

I'd use it for all my writing but I find I tire physically far too quickly, so everything else gets done bashing away rapid-fire on a keyboard. Incidentally, I've just got a Neo, and the touch on that is also wonderful. I want to tap tap tap away on it all the time. I get very attached to my writing tools, can you tell?

Rose English

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Quite easy. And they write beautifully. You don't have to press down, you merely touch the nib to the paper. They also adapt themselves to your writing and grow easier to use as you break them in. It's like they know you.

Exactly right. Old friends.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Parker Jotter. £3.

They write smooth and look nice. :D

I have used fountain pens in the past, but I tend to murder them. :(

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
Well now I want one. I've been meaning to get one and a nice leather journal to write short stories and poetry and stuff in. Make something nice to pass on to kids later or something.

I always tend to put it off...