Why don't people like Titanic? What was wrong with it?

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I really like some period films, and Titanic is a great example. Like most people, I was very familiar with the history of Titanic (the ship) and very much enjoyed the movie and setting.

Granted, Leonardo DiCaprio tended to montone his way through the movie, but I personally had no problems with the story itself of Rose and Leo, simplistic as it may have been.

I saw it in the theater twice and still like watching it on the TV screen. However, it seems I am in the minority.

So, what's wrong with it?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I actually hate everything to do with that boat. I feel I always have. Why? I don't really know, but I suspect overkill.

Reaction score
THAT scene redeemed the entire movie.

I shall now pass the torch on to tt42, who shall explain.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I liked the movie for the most part. Liked the story line about the love stuff, but really liked the visual stuff. Everything from the decor of the period to the sinking of the ship. On the big screen it really brought it to life.

Judging from the money it made and the repeat times folks have viewed it I find it hard to believe that the majority did not like it. Where did you get your facts from on this dislike?

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed it, especially the sets and the costumes.

Not so crazy about DiCaprio, too boyish looking to carry off the whole manly thing. I normally like Billy Zane but he was a bit OTT in the villainous fiance role.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
THAT scene redeemed the entire movie.

I shall now pass the torch on to tt42, who shall explain.

Backseat scene. Sexiest, most understated sex scene in the history of film. (Well, okay, mild exaggeration, but you get the idea) The hand on the back window said a thousand words.

Love it. Love it. LOVE. IT.

The rest of the movie was entertaining and I've never quite grasped the vehement hatred towards it. Quite honestly, I think it's in the same category as The Blair Witch Project: Hyped to the high heavens, everyone talking about it, everyone seeing it and raving about it...then everyone getting sick of it. Neither film made buckets of money because people hated them...I think people just got tired of them. Not everyone liked it, of course, but I can't even count the number of people who despise either film now, even though I distinctly remember them RAVING about them years ago.

Chalk me up as an unrepentant fan of both films.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I did not like it.

Too corny I guess.

Oh, and one more thing. It beat Good Will Hunting for best picture that year. I much preferred Good Will Hunting.

Last edited:

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
I quite liked the movie. I was big into Titanic stuff when I was a wee nerd, and I get the feeling Cameron was as well. There's a bunch of easter egg type historical nuggets scattered throughout the movie (e.g. the chef dude who was balanced on the stern with Kate Winslet at the end when the ship went down claimed to have actually done so). That kind of stuff was fun.

Also I've loved the guy who played Billy Zane's butler ever since Waxwork.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
I have a thing about drowning. And schlock. Both give me a weird visceral reaction.

MissKris

Is the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristindmiller.com
Because people love to profess that they hate things the general public (read: the little people) likes.

I liked it, and I hate a lot of commercial films. I agree with tt42 that the hand on the steamy back window was . . . sensationally erotic. A wonderful scene.

I also liked the costumes and the period glamour. The ship was meant to be the most luxurious thing on the water at the time and so lent itself to beautiful scenery.

I didn't like that Leo's character died in the end, but, oh well.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, I think the problem for many people who hate the movie hate it because it's billed as "a Romance" when, in fact, it's a love story.

The main focus of Titanic is Rose's growth as a person, her finding the strength within herself to stop being a doormat and to be a full person who explores and enjoys life to the fullest. Jack was the impetus for her transformation, but he obviously wasn't the love of her life because she found a man to marry, have children and share her life with. That was obvious because she had a granddaughter with her in the framing story.

It all has to do with viewer's expectations, honestly. Those who were open to a good story and hadn't prejudged it enjoyed it. Those who had a preconception of it being a romance usually hate it with a passion.

Of course, while I enjoyed the movie immensely, I did get massively sick of "My Heart Will Go On" by Celine Dion. Took me almost a year before I could listen to that song without changing the station.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Because people love to profess that they hate things the general public (read: the little people) likes.

This is not always the case. Sometimes people are just repulsed by things. I hated Titanic because I was way sick of the story before the movie even came out. AND I despise Celine Dion...I prickle when I hear her. I try to like and dislike based on my likes and dislikes, not on other people's likes and dislikes. That's just silly.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Yep. The sound of his frozen fingers cracking as she pried them off her and left him to sink into oblivion as part of the deep sea food cycle was outstanding. If I could figure out how to get that sound on my cell phone, I'd make it a ring tone.

But my favorite sound in the movie was the dude bouncing off the propeller after a twenty story fall. *grin* Totally awesome.

Granted, Leonardo DiCaprio tended to montone his way through the movie, but I personally had no problems with the story itself of Rose and Leo, simplistic as it may have been.

By the way, undercity, the fact that you couldn't remember DiCaprio's character name is fairly important. When a character, a lead character, in a movie or play is forgettable, it makes the whole movie suffer. While Winsett did an outstanding job playing Rose and Billy Zane was amazing as the tortured pig fiance, Jack was a forgettable character, a stock character with cariacture instead of character. By the end of the movie, no one could blame Rose, the Rose that she'd become, for ditching him. She'd surpassed him in a matter of days while he remained the same. DiCaprio could have done much, MUCH more with the character than he did and all the bang-flipping-out-of-the-eyes in the world wasn't going to save a character that he'd not provided with much depth from the get-go.

Last edited:

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
My daughter loved the movie at the time. I teased the shit out of her...called him Leofarto DiCrapio. She hated me long time.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Yep. The sound of his frozen fingers cracking as she pried them off her and left him to sink into oblivion as part of the deep sea food cycle was outstanding. If I could figure out how to get that sound on my cell phone, I'd make it a ring tone.

But my favorite sound in the movie was the dude bouncing off the propeller after a twenty story fall. *grin* Totally awesome.

HAHHAHAAH One of my friends always talks about wishing there was an outtake of: "Jack...Jack...there's a boat...Jack, there's- *SNAP*" *Rose looks at snapped-off arm in disbelief*

:D

And the prop bounce was awesome...

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
The film was boring. The best part of it was DiCrapio popsicled.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Why do I hate it? Because the main story was complete fiction. And I have to ask Why? Why did they need to do that when there were so many wonderful and tragic REAL LIFE stories to choose from that night.

I'm somewhat obsessed with the Titanic and this movie pisses me off no end.