PDA

View Full Version : whats on the menu for tonight?

Marcus
07-01-2009, 01:47 AM
Since my wife is in cally right now, and I don't have the motivational forces to cook just myself.... I'll start with what I'd Really like to eat tonight. This recipe is something that my wife perfected and since you can't get this on Oahu, anyone that has eaten it had a reaction close to, " G@D, That is sooo Good!" and most proceed to want to give money for the privilege of eating something so damn good.
She cooked enough of this for the entire shop one night a few years ago and the people still here still ask if they can get more. :D
Wify is a skilled cook.

http://www.recipezaar.com/Flawless-Sesame-Chicken-Restaurant-Style-129598

enjoy!

try to post links please or give the directions if its a self made recipe. :)

regdog
07-01-2009, 01:59 AM
Linguini with white clam sauce

Cook pasta al dente-so it's only semi cooked

One can Snow's miced clams
One can Snow's whole clams
One bottle Snow's clam Juice mix all three in a sauce pan add one clove crushed garlic and fresh parsley.
Heat the sauce mixture,
Drain pasta and add to sauce pan and finish cooking pasta in the sauce.

Button
07-01-2009, 02:03 AM
One of two things will happen:

Cajuns calls, will complain about not having any food in his house/dishes are too dirty/he doesn't want to cook and he'll go, "Get over here, and figure out where we're going tonight."

Plan B, Cajun calls but we're both too lazy to go anywhere. So he'll eat freezer delights, as will I.

These days, I'll cook, but only when we're together at his house, and only when it isn't too hot. His kitchen doesn't have ventilation.

rhymegirl
07-01-2009, 02:08 AM
I had a tuna sandwich.

Tuna
a little scoop of mayo
lettuce
bread

Silver King
07-01-2009, 02:21 AM
In case some folks haven't noticed, we have our very own Cooking (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=181) forum on AW, with lots of great recipes and general discussions about food.

We'll leave this thread here for now, then move it on over to the other forum after a while.

Marcus
07-01-2009, 02:29 AM
I'm going to have to start frequenting that section. specially when I start being Mr. Mom.

Love good food, just hate cooking for just myself. :(

Thanks for pointing to that direction. This thread was more of a blurb looking for what people are going to eat tonight...

errantruth
07-01-2009, 02:37 AM
For me tonight: a goat cheese sandwich and a green salad

a goat cheese sandwich:
- goat cheese
- brown bread
- coupla drops of sesame oil
- cherry tomato

green salad
- greens
- cherry tomatoes
- snap peas
- mushrooms

dressing:
- red wine vinegar
- lotsa oregano
- some thyme
- some mustard
- a bit of brown sugar
- olive oil

:)
My roomie's having my left-over chicken francaise, rosemary potatoes and salad from yesterday...

Marcus
07-01-2009, 02:50 AM
^^ that sounds healthy! I'm lucky that my metabolism supports incredibly unhealthy eating habits.
I've been working on slowing it down intentionally, and to that end, once i get to cally I'm going to turn it back up with my training to get into world class shape. :)

Silver King
07-01-2009, 02:57 AM
...Love good food, just hate cooking for just myself...
I'm the same way. And if I'm not cooking for family or friends, and I have only myself to feed, just about anything will do to satisfy my hunger. The other day when no one was home, I ate a whole container of cottage cheese for lunch. It was the first thing in the fridge that caught my eye, and all I needed was a spoon to enjoy the delectable feast.

I also eat some foods straight out of cans without heating the contents. But only when no one is looking!

mscelina
07-01-2009, 03:10 AM
Cook? I haven't cooked for my family in weeks. They've been living on fast food and pizza rolls, or so I hear.

now that my desk is finally clear for the first six hours in, oh, a month or so,maybe later I'll venture up to the kitchen and see if there's anything remotely edible in there.

errantruth
07-01-2009, 03:33 AM
:) :) I WISH I could eat with impunity. I haven't *yet* had the slice of cheesecake I'm craving. But I know it's happening. :)

aadams73
07-01-2009, 04:28 AM
Shrimp with garlic, pepper, and lemon, served over romaine.

DL Hegel
07-01-2009, 04:33 AM
Lean well done steak, cheese taters, brussel sprouts, corn on the cob and chocolate cake. I will fix it when i get off work.

jennontheisland
07-01-2009, 04:36 AM
Big salad of mixed greens dressed with red wine vinaigrette (red wine vinegar, grapeseed oil, grainy dijon) and topped with bacon, apple, and brie. Served with toasted onion bread spread with cream cheese.

Kris
07-01-2009, 04:40 AM
Tonight I grilled wild caught swordfish in a ginger-soy marinade, and steamed some brussels sprouts.

I served it with macaroni elbows for my 3yo :D

Because life is about compromise, and the sooner we all accept it, the better :D

KTC
07-01-2009, 04:47 AM
I had chicken biryani. I don't share my recipes.

Kris
07-01-2009, 04:51 AM
I had chicken biryani. I don't share my recipes.

Grandmother, is that you???

KTC
07-01-2009, 04:51 AM
Grandmother, is that you???

yes, chile. please don't eat the apples.

Kris
07-01-2009, 04:54 AM
yes, chile. please don't eat the apples.

Yes, Grandmother. *goes to fetch KTC's knitting*

som1luvsmi
07-01-2009, 04:55 AM
I think I'm gonna grill some cheezeburgers for the kiddos. Maybe make some sweet potato fries in the oven. Grill some red peppers and red onion to go on my burger. Some avocado...

Man, I'm hungry now!

Silver King
07-01-2009, 05:11 AM
Tonight I grilled wild caught swordfish in a ginger-soy marinade, and steamed some brussels sprouts...
Can I have some? The swordfish, I mean. Please hold the sprouts. :)

I know dozens of ways to cook fish, but one of my favorites, which is very simple, is to dredge the fillets in seasoned Italian bread crumbs, sprinkle liberally with white wine, butter and lemon juice, and bake in the oven on 350 for ten to twelve minutes. Works great for scallops, too.

If the fillets are thick, say over one-half inch, you'll want to bake the fish a few minutes longer. But be careful not to overcook the meal. If you're not sure, take the fish out of the oven and pierce the flesh with a fork. If the tines are warm to the touch, the fish is cooked through and ready to serve.

rhymegirl
07-01-2009, 05:12 AM
I also eat some foods straight out of cans without heating the contents. But only when no one is looking!

Like cat food? :)

Silver King
07-01-2009, 05:21 AM
Like cat food? :)
Ha! You're close, as sometimes I delve into some tins of sardines when I'm really hungry.

JLCwrites
07-01-2009, 08:37 AM
Rosemary chicken and asparagus on the bbq with a side of wild rice and three beers.

Marcus
07-01-2009, 08:45 AM
i ended up with a chicken bacon ranch sandwich from dominoes!

god those have to have been invented by the devil! Sooo good they have to be evil!

Kris
07-01-2009, 03:05 PM
Can I have some? The swordfish, I mean. Please hold the sprouts. :)

I know dozens of ways to cook fish, but one of my favorites, which is very simple, is to dredge the fillets in seasoned Italian bread crumbs, sprinkle liberally with white wine, butter and lemon juice, and bake in the oven on 350 for ten to twelve minutes. Works great for scallops, too.

If the fillets are thick, say over one-half inch, you'll want to bake the fish a few minutes longer. But be careful not to overcook the meal. If you're not sure, take the fish out of the oven and pierce the flesh with a fork. If the tines are warm to the touch, the fish is cooked through and ready to serve.

That sounds heavenly.

I'm also a big proponent of pan-frying in a little olive oil, lemon juice and Old Bay (works with thin filets --the pan-frying, that is. Old Bay works with everything). For a thin tilapia filet, about four minutes a side. Mmmm.