Your favorite film/movie composers?

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
Who are your favorite composers for music? And, if you're inclined, what are your reasons for liking them, musically?

I'll start. I like Hans Zimmer because of his world music. James Newton Howard is pretty "old school" in a good way. Danny Elfman was already awesome with Tim Burton's Batman, but what truly showed his stuff was his score for "Charlotte's Web". James Horner would've been good if he wasn't so bent on plaigarising himself. His score for A Beautiful Mind was wonderful, especially his "Kaleidoscope of Mathematics" theme. Too bad he copied some themes to his other works. Can't get into some of John Williams' scores -- sometimes his music is pretentious and draws attention to himself. Other times, however, like Schindler's List and Fiddler on the Roof, he writes genuine, heartfelt music.

Last edited:

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Basil Poledouris.

His music for Conan and Starship Troopers are the most awesomly epic set of musics I've ever heard. And Robocop has an awesome main theme.

His music is as intense and bloody and awesome as the movies he wrote for!

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
Clint Mansell - especially when he teams up with the Kronos Quartet. Thomas Newman. His scores are never bad and he's done some very nifty things - especially with A Series of Unfortunate Events. I adore some of Danny Elfman's scores but they sometimes feel a little repetitive.

10er

Registered
Reaction score
Michael Nyman blew me away in Gattaca.

Harry Gregson-Williams was especially great in Kingdom of Heaven (and Metal Gear Solid).

Oh and John Carpenter does some pretty mean things with a synthesizer... if you're into that kind of stuff.

Last edited:

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
Drats... The title should be "film/TV" not "film/movie"

Keep the replies coming!

Last edited:

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
Jerry Goldsmith...the master, and one of the most innovative composers ever. He's been dead for five years, and no one's taken his place yet.

Jō Hisaishi.

Joel McNeely.

James Newton Howard.

Basil Poledouris.

Elmer Bernstein.

Hans Zimmer, though in the beginning his scores all sounded the same...Crimson Tide was a rehash of Backdraft, but he got over that. And at least he didn't outright steal other scores, like James Horner did throughout the 1980s. The Last Samurai has some really stirring themes, even though the movie itself was a total cliche circus.

Michael Kamen.

John Williams...though his signature is so strong that I haven't really listened to much of his stuff since 1990. He is to musical innovation now what Mount Rushmore is to animation, to borrow a phrase.

Shigeru Umebayashi.

(Interesting how half the folks on my list are dead. :) )

Kurtz

Fix up, look sharp.
Registered
Reaction score
Michael Nyman blew me away in Gattaca.

Harry Gregson-Williams was especially great in Kingdom of Heaven (and Metal Gear Solid).

Oh and John Carpenter does some pretty mean things with a synthesizer... if you're into that kind of stuff.

It was Ennio Morricone who did the awesome synth stuff for The Thing, I think he and Carpenter had quite a few collaborations like that, a real good choice in picking him though.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Ennio Morricone -- he's a God.

Dario Marianelli -- he so deserved the Oscar for Atonement, and the other scores I've heard (Pride & Prejudice and The Soloist) are sublime.

Alexandre Desplat -- amazing. Recommendations: Lust, Caution, Birth, and the Painted Veil.

My other favorites include John Williams, Hans Zimmer, Thomas Newman, Danny Elfman, Jerry Goldsmith, Michael Giacchino and at times Phillip Glass (his repetitive stuff is hypnotic sometimes).

Kris

like motherf&cking Tolstoy
VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
I don't follow this stuff as closely as some of you, but often when I notice I like a score, it turns out to be by Hans Zimmer. And will second whoever said Morricone.

I also tend to like John Barry and the old timer who did the score for the original "Cape Fear," a guy named Bernard Hermann. (I watch a lot of old movies).

Also, I thought Neil Young's score for Dead Man was outrageously good.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
Good to know I'm not the only person who knows who he is. ;)

The score for Laputa is just gorgeous. I admit, though, that I'm only familiar with his work with Miyazaki.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Hans Zimmer
Rachel Portman
Thomas Newman
James Newton Howard
Zbigniew Preisner
Joe Hisaishi
Yuki Kajiura

AuburnAssassin

Darkly Romantic Curmudgeon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
clairegillian.wordpress.com
Thomas Newman. His scores are never bad and he's done some very nifty things - especially with A Series of Unfortunate Events.

Love Thomas Newman's stuff, Unfortunate Events among them as well as Six Feet Under and American Beauty. His stuff is very distinctive; I can almost always pick it out.

His relative (cousin? uncle?) Randy Newman is not so bad either, if you overlook Short People. I love his scores to the Natural and Toy Story.

John Williams is noteworthy as well. (Love his Witches of Eastwick score)

Vangelis has also done some awesome scores--Chariots of Fire, Cosmos, Blade Runner, The Bounty, Missing, Antarctica and several foreign films.

Clannad for Robin Hood, Theme from Harry's Game

Last edited:

Kris

like motherf&cking Tolstoy
VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
His relative (cousin? uncle?) Randy Newman is not so bad either, if you overlook Short People. I love his scores to the Natural and Toy Story.

Poor Randy Newman, doomed to be known forever for what's probably the worst song he ever wrote!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ennio Morricone-The Mission is brilliant
James Horner-Braveheart was a great soundtrack

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dario Marianelli is my current fave. His music is beautiful. Classic, but inventive and fresh.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
Shoot, he did that in 1985 when he took motifs from Star Trek II and used them in Cocoon.

Oh wait...ST II was a rehash of Wolfen. My bad.

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
Adding Michael Giacchino.

I LOVE the scores for Lost, Star Trek, Up, and The Incredibles. He's so versatile.

SirOtter

Il Cavaliere Marino
Registered
Reaction score
Max Steiner
Elmer Bernstein
John Barry
Ennio Morricone
Bernard Herrmann
John Williams