Anyone who's seen "Aeon Flux"...

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I watched the trailer twice, and there's a clip which shows a bunch of ball-bearings rolling along a corridor purposefully. They all stack up against a door and the door blows open. Aeon says, "Good boys."

Does anyone know what exactly those ball-bearing-things are? Are they robotic or alive in some way or what? How do they work? They're starting to really intrigue me and I want to put something similar in a story, but I don't want to ape the movie. Any light you can shed on this will be much appreciated. :)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Pretty much anything you can imagine is an improvement over the movie.

It's been a while since I tortured my eyeballs with it, but IIRC the sphere thingies helped her break into a secure building by going ahead of her.

STKlingaman

Followed the Red Brick Road
Registered
Reaction score
They weren't ball bearing to start,
they were chips from a ring I believe.
Then once summoned, turned into the
explosion little balls.

Who cares, they were cool, but I'd have
to say robotic. You wouldn't ask a living
thing (and that many of them) to give
there lives just so she can escape.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
Although whatever you do don't, under any circumstances, watch the film to satisfy your curiosity.
Nothing good will come of it.

It's that bad? I thought the grass that turned to actual blades looked cool, although I gotta say, the trailer doesn't give much indication as to what the plot is. Other than that there's some futuristic society, Aeon is the usual rebel against the empire and there's some guy she has to take on.

The picture on the Wikipedia page, of her entangling an insect in her eyelashes, is neat too. Pity so many movies seem to have better special effects than scripts.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
Pretty much anything you can imagine is an improvement over the movie.

Well, I'm thinking a swarm of sentient creatures that just happen to look like small spheres and be made of ceramic (won't go with metal because that's too copycat). They can communicate by forming simple patterns, but they can't blow anything up. I'm not sure exactly what role they'll play in the story, but I wouldn't mind them defending a place or property; they can't be bribed or reasoned with, and if one of them is taken out, the rest will know about it.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
They weren't ball bearing to start,
they were chips from a ring I believe.
Then once summoned, turned into the
explosion little balls.

Who cares, they were cool, but I'd have
to say robotic. You wouldn't ask a living
thing (and that many of them) to give
there lives just so she can escape.

Thanks for the explanation! They might just be one creature, though, one mind in several small spherical bodies. That would be cool too.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
the trailer doesn't give much indication as to what the plot is.
I remember it being essentially a hot-pot made of Logan's Run, The Time Machine and Big Brother with a sprinkling of Blade Runner. It's served with a pile of impossible-but-kinda-cool technology that distracts you from the vacuity at it's heart.

But then it has been a long time since I saw it.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
BTW: The Transformers in Transformers 2 used those same little balls to infiltrate a decepticon into a top-secret base.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Skip the movie. It sucks. But it does have great sci-fi imagery, I will give it that. And the girl with hand-feet, well, I can't complain. You could watch it with the sound off and then the plot wouldn't be inflicted on you.

But go rent the cartoon. It is crazy good. I first loved it when the main series aired when I was 12, and I still loved it when they re-aired it in my twenties.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
BTW: The Transformers in Transformers 2 used those same little balls to infiltrate a decepticon into a top-secret base.

Well, as long as the little balls were robotic and non-sentient in the movie. They'll be pretty different in my story - a single-minded swarm that sometimes acts on its own volition and which might even have a personality, albeit a fairly simple one.

I'm also planning to change their color. Maybe they'll be clear, like crystal balls.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's that bad?
Aeon Flux, or Aeon Suxx as I like to call it, was one of the worst movies I've ever been forced to sit through. If I hadn't been reviewing it, I would have walked out long before the end.

I like your ideas for your WIP. Keep brainstorming it, you'll find a unique twist to make it yours.

Last edited:

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Wasn't it an anime on MTV for a while?

Skip the movie. It sucks. But it does have great sci-fi imagery, I will give it that. And the girl with hand-feet, well, I can't complain. You could watch it with the sound off and then the plot wouldn't be inflicted on you.

But go rent the cartoon. It is crazy good. I first loved it when the main series aired when I was 12, and I still loved it when they re-aired it in my twenties.

Yes, loved the anime.

There was an Aeon Flux copy cat movie called Ultra Violet.

That movie pretty much sucked as well, but it did have a couple of really cool concepts.

Mel...

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
Aeon Fluxx, or Aeon Suxx as I like to call it, was one of the worst movies I've ever been forced to sit through. If I hadn't been reviewing it, I would have walked out long before the end.

I looked the movie up on Rotten Tomatoes and found this review : "In the future, the sexiest people among us will rise up to defend our freedom. They will all wear spandex."

Do you have a link to your review? I'd love to read it.

I like your ideas for your WIP. Keep brainstorming it, you'll find a unique twist to make it yours.

Thanks! I've decided that they're going to be clear and iridescent, like soap bubbles. Although they look delicate, they're unbreakable and can be malicious if dealing with intruders of any kind. Since they're near-invisible in the dark, they make small sounds as they roll from one place to another, or they knock over small objects, scaring the intruder. And when he inevitably runs, they try to roll under his feet and make him fall.

Trying to figure out what to call them.

Enzo

Registered
Reaction score
Voice activated grenades.
Also reminded me of the scene in Minority Report where those metallic creepy crawlies swarm around a bathtub Tom Cruise is hiding in. Or the crocodile-type terminators in Terminator Salvation.
They're all mergers between machines and animals.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I looked the movie up on Rotten Tomatoes and found this review : "In the future, the sexiest people among us will rise up to defend our freedom. They will all wear spandex."

Do you have a link to your review? I'd love to read it.
Unfortunately, no. The paper rarely put them up. But thanks for your interest. :)

Actually, the paper dropped my column a few weeks back, due to financial cutbacks they said were ordered by the head office of the media group that owns the paper. They're now running reviews written by some faceless person back east, that are distributed to the papers the media group owns. My column being cut is only the latest, making our local paper almost entirely non-local now.

Sorry, I'm a tad rankled over being dropped. /rant off.