Your experience with the pitch process

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
Hello All -

I would love to hear your experience with "the pitch process."

Last week I spoke with my agent, and she said that my manuscript is finally ready (there were many problems with it, which are now fixed, I hope) and that she is compiling a "pitch list" and getting ready to start pitching it this week.

I didn't want to sound like the n00b that I am and pester her with more questions. Of course, I'm sure that I will anyway. But while I wait, I'd love to hear what the pitch process entailed for you.

How long did it take? How did your agent communicate with you about it? How were you informed of the sale? When did you get paid? Was there an auction? Did you have to sign anything in person? Pretty much any details that you can offer.

And yes, I know that it is highly highly HIGHLY unlikely that my book will sell, but I'm still strangely optimistic.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
Her pitching is for various editors at various houses (publishers) to allow her to submit your novel to them. My situation was an anomaly as LOTTERY went straight to auction which means several publishers were already interested so they had to bid to get it-
Your agent should explain the process that she will go through - if she knew you had no previous publication history there is no reason to suspect you would know this-
No worries tho-
While an editor might say right away "sure sent it on" it can take months for them to finish reading and then usually your novel has to in turn be pitched by the editor to the editorial board and usually marketing as well.
IF they all like what they see they may make you an offer-
IF that happens -- your agent will discuss any offers with you- it is your ultimate decision --
but say you accept it- then another couple months will go by and your agent and publisher will iron out the contract details then you sign the contract and then several more weeks will pass before you get your check-
For example my auction was held Dec 6,2006 my contract was signed the end of February and my first check was given to me April 1 2007.
Some of my foreign sales have taken a year (or more).

Before my agent submitted she asked whether I wanted just to hear interest or the rejections- I opted to see everything- She also phoned me each day to let me know which editors wanted to interview me and how the auction was to be handled...
Be prepared for this process to take months and then be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't-
My suggestion for what it's worth is finish your next book and your next- don't be waiting for "this one to sell before you do anything" ...
Best of Luck!

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
For example my auction was held Dec 6,2006 my contract was signed the end of February and my first check was given to me April 1 2007.
Some of my foreign sales have taken a year (or more).

Thanks for such excellent advice. I was wondering what you meant by first check? Did you not get your advance (minus your agent's deduction, obviously) all in one big (or small) chunk? Or do you mean your royalties check?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Advances normally come in portions. For ex: a third when you sign the contract, a third when they accept the final draft of the manuscript, the final third when the book is published.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
ORION basically explained the pitch process.

I was told when my agent was going to start pitching and he gave me the list of first six editors he'd targeted. About a week later he let me know that five had requested the material, but the sixth was on vacation. When she got back, she also requested it (and was, funny enough, the one who ended up getting the book). I know my timeline was pretty exceptional, because within a month, we had three rejections, two offers, and one who hadn't yet responded. A week later we had an auction, and the best offer got it.

The majority of the communication for this happened over the phone--the rejection updates, the offers, and auction results. I accepted the best offer over the phone, and a few minutes later got a call from my new editor.

Payment all depends on the house structure for advances. Most still use the 3-payment model waylander mentioned. My house uses a 2-part structure--half on signing, half on delivery-and-acceptance of the final manuscript. The first part of the advance (the part you get on signing) can take months to actually get, because first your agent negotiates the contract. This can take weeks to months, in and of itself. Contracts are very detailed, and your agent may want to negotiate certain points. Those changes must be approved before the changes can be implemented. Then you get the contracts to sign, and even after they go back to the publisher, it can be weeks to months before they actually cut the check. My signing half and D&A half for the first book came within weeks of each other.

So yeah, even once you have a handshake deal, money is still many months away from being in your pocket.

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all! It helps A TON to understand the timeline of the process. Hope I share your success when it all culminates.

myrmidon

i AM batman (not really)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
1979semifinalist.com
She also phoned me each day to let me know which editors wanted to interview me

ORION:
What was this "interview" part of the process. They just wanted to talk with you about the book...before they made an offer? Was this also over the phone?

I'm so anxious and curious about this whole process...and am still weeks, perhaps months away from all of it!

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
when I asked my agent how to prepare she just said "don't worry...it's a beauty contest but you're not the contestant...they are."
Each were trying to "sell" me on the fact that they'd be the best publisher and editor for Lottery. Some talked about the editing process and others talked about their "vision" for the book and still others talked about how their marketing and sales would really get behind the book.
I took notes and then when the auction was finished and I got to choose which offer I accepted- I used that as part of my decision...