PDA

View Full Version : I'm free, FREE I TELL YOU!!!

Mr Flibble
06-29-2009, 03:39 PM
Yes, I am free of the chemical cosh.

Went to the docs today, all pensive because I knew they were going to change my tablets ( again). I keep trying to tell teh doc, hey I managed for 30 years without them before....and he keeps saying 'No, no, you must, you must!' and then prescribes something that seems as though he WANTS me to have a nervous breakdown. They damn well near caused one on a regular basis. Oh, and almost lost me my job, and made my hubby wonder who the heck this weird woman was he's suddenly living with, cos it's sure ain't Julia.

Only the doc's on holiday, so I got a lovely lady doctor who said 'We can't make you take tablets. If you were managing fine before, and just had one episode where you feel you needed help, how about I sign you up for a couple of bipolar workshops and see if you can manage without the tablets'

I love her.

I danced all the way home

KTC
06-29-2009, 03:41 PM
That's awesome. Keep the focus and you can do it. Just remember to ask for help when you need it. It's nice to know the net's there...you don't have to use it. Congrats!!!

regdog
06-29-2009, 03:52 PM
:hooray::hooray::hooray: Good luck

Meds can be worse than the problem sometimes.

I was given two different prescriptions over the years for my asthma and both of them made me way sicker than the asthma. It took me almost a year to recover from the effects of the steroids. And six months to get over the side effects of the other med.

I've stopped taking taking everything but my regular albuterol inhaler

Mr Flibble
06-29-2009, 04:04 PM
Yeah, stoopid drugs - they were way worse than the original condition.

All I wanted was the net , as KTC puts it. Something to help when I have a bad one. Original doc didn't agree. Luckily this one does :D

*still dancing*

Shweta
06-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Yay!
:Hug2: Best of luck with that, and thank goodness for finding a sane doctor :)

I was given two different prescriptions over the years for my asthma and both of them made me way sicker than the asthma. It took me almost a year to recover from the effects of the steroids. And six months to get over the side effects of the other med.

I've stopped taking taking everything but my regular albuterol inhaler

Man, I wish I could stay with just albuterol (not that I can tolerate albuterol at all, I gotta get xopenex at 40x the price or some such.) But I'm pretty stubbornly sticking with the basic steroid that I know a) works and b) won't kill me anytime soon. Because everything else they tried made me worse, and the Advair was an outright living nightmare that I'm still suffering effects from.

Calla Lily
06-29-2009, 04:14 PM
:Hug2: :hooray:

I've been a guinea pig for every rheumatoid Arthritis drug (except 2) under the sun. One made me sicker than the actual disease and I flushed them. Every 4 months when I get my liver tested to see if the drugs have wrecked it, the Dr. says: Maybe we should put you on steroids. :rant: And every time I say: NO STEROIDS. I WON'T TAKE THEM. We have a decent semi-adversarial relationship. (My original doc :LilLove: retired and RA docs are scarcer than hen's teeth and simply won't take you on if you're already seeing someone.) Good thing I'm a stubborn broad.

Glad you are med-free, IdiotsR!

Bmwhtly
06-29-2009, 04:14 PM
:Thumbs:

scarletpeaches
06-29-2009, 04:23 PM
If I may be nosy - which drugs were you on? And which one was it that turned you into a zombie?

I was on citalopram which made me feel sick and the doc said, "It shouldn't do that; that's not one of the side effects."

So I came off it and the sickness stopped.

Anyway, yay you!

*hides just in case she flips*

Sophia
06-29-2009, 04:49 PM
That's fantastic. As soon as I saw the thread title, I hoped this was what it was about. Good for you!

(Check your PMs in a sec. :) )

Mr Flibble
06-29-2009, 05:19 PM
If I may be nosy - which drugs were you on? And which one was it that turned you into a zombie?

I was on citalopram which made me feel sick and the doc said, "It shouldn't do that; that's not one of the side effects."

So I came off it and the sickness stopped.

Anyway, yay you!

*hides just in case she flips*

They've tried me on 5 different types in the last five months. I can't remember the names very well ( hey, I was zombified)The antipsychotic I couldn't walk or talk properly. The antidepressants ( SSRI's, like citalopram, buta different make) made me suicidal ( and that helps depression, er, how exactly?) or the second lot made me walk round in a complete fog, as well as suicidal. Those three zombified me. The other two altered my personality drastically.

The artificial speed induced a really f'd up manic episode ( I usually get silly and happy in manics. This time I got aggressive. Very aggressive. Was Not Fun)and the last lot ( anti epilepsy which act as mood stabilisers) had me manic and depressed at the same time, as well as extremely moody.

All I wanted was just something to help me over a really bad episode. By the time they got me to the shrink, I was starting to feel much better...until he coshed me with the drugs

(Check your PMs in a sec. :) ) Thanks for that - I've got a whole lot of reading to do!

Thansk guys

Still dancing!

spamwarrior
06-29-2009, 05:33 PM
I'm so happy to hear that! Sometimes medications can make the problem worse instead of fixing anything. I used to take these pills for some condition (PM me for details, it's private stuff) and they made me feel like a zombie all the time.

Susie
06-29-2009, 09:15 PM
That's super, Julia. You keep feeling well!

LorelieBrown
06-29-2009, 09:21 PM
I'd totes see if I could switch to that doctor as my main one. A responsive doctor is worth their weight in gold.

Wayne K
06-29-2009, 10:19 PM
I've been taking pills for years, but tossed the damn things a few months ago. Not only do I feel better, I've lost a lot of weight.

If the pills make life better, by all means take them--but they didn't for me. I hated them.

Alpha Echo
06-29-2009, 10:24 PM
Aw, yay!

I think doctors give out prescriptions for some things way too quickly. Sometimes it helps - like in my case when I went to my doctor after my husband left just for sleeping pills b/c I couldn't sleep and walked out with anti-depressents.

I'm glad that the lady doctor noticed that only you can tell them what works for you and what doesn't.

aadams73
06-29-2009, 10:29 PM
Yes, I am free of the chemical cosh.

Awesome! :D

cray
06-29-2009, 10:33 PM
good that you're feeling better, idiotsrus.

no idea what you were on or for how long but i thought it might be worth mentioning out loud that stopping these types of meds (esp. ssri's) cold turkey can sometimes have effects. sometimes.

just be aware that you could experience some sort of discontinuation symptoms including flu like symptoms.

best wishes.

scarletpeaches
06-29-2009, 11:01 PM
If you need to go back under the chemical cosh, may I recommend...?
http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss233/doriangrayspictures/Fukitol.jpg

LorelieBrown
06-29-2009, 11:04 PM
stopping these types of meds (esp. ssri's) cold turkey can sometimes have effects. sometimes.

Yes. An idiot doc yanked my husband off an ssri cold turkey. Was bad. Quite.

Sweetleaf
06-29-2009, 11:10 PM
That's awesome.

Amazing what a difference a contientious doctor can make, isn't it?

There's been a bit of a stink kicked up down here lately about doctors prescribing too many anti-depressants and how they seem to make more people suicidal than not.
A friend of mine went to the doctor once because she was having some problems feeling down and the woman just gave her a prescription and said 'Half the city's on Prozac' when all she wanted was a refferal for counselling.

Glad you're feeling better, long may it continue! :)

Mr Flibble
06-29-2009, 11:49 PM
Yeah, all I wanted really was a referral for some counselling maybe. Maybe something just to help me over he bad patch ( the artificial speed actually worked quite well, right up until it sent me manic. Something it warned about on the label!)

stopping these types of meds (esp. ssri's) cold turkey can sometimes have effects. sometimes. I didn't stop those till the doc told me I could. Frankly, the cold turkey was a bloody picnic compared to actually taking them and spending 3 weeks wondering what the best way to kill myself would be.

Thanks guys. You know what the best thing has been today? My kids got home, I told I was tablet free and they said 'Yay, we have Mum back!'

And it was a scorcher, so we went to the beach. I have sand in all my crevices and a soggy bum, but we had fun

scarletpeaches
06-29-2009, 11:57 PM
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy was a lifesaver for me. It taught me things years ago I still put into practise today.

Mr Flibble
06-30-2009, 12:07 AM
I asked for that. The Mental Health team has to share one with another practice. So you only get that when you're eating your own slippers and saying yum. :( And I can't afford to go private.

I did say it'd be cheaper than me being on tablets for the rest of my life ( which is what Original Doc said would happen). But new Doc is one I'm sticking with now \O/

JoNightshade
06-30-2009, 12:10 AM
I learned recently it's worth switching doctors repeatedly until you find one who is "on your side." You want someone who is interested in what YOU want - not what they think you should have. I am in heaven right now because I found an OBGYN I trust completely, as opposed to the previous three jerks. No surprise she consistently asks me what *I* want for the baby, etc.

scarletpeaches
06-30-2009, 12:10 AM
:(

Just for the record, I never ate my own slippers. I was lucky to have been put in contact with something called the Women's Health and Family Project who did CBT. Supported by donations, now defunct.

Lifesavers, all of 'em. But not paid for by the NHS.

Mr Flibble
06-30-2009, 12:25 AM
Lifesavers, all of 'em. But not paid for by the NHS.

Now that I check, the local MIND chapter is about 100 yards away....How did I never notice it was there? *slaps forehead* That's what they turned to old church into!