Military Glow Sticks

tailstrike

Thinking, always thinking!
Registered
Reaction score
First of all i would like to know if there is a proper name for these??...And secondly is there a particular colour that you would use say if you are exploring caves or tunnels??

Cheers

Nianne

Registered
Reaction score
I don't believe there is any name for them other than "glow sticks."

The color is provided by a flourescent dye, so there is a variety of colors available, not one "standard" color.

Check out the wikipedia articles on "caving" and "glow stick" for more info. Both look pretty high quality.

quixote100104

Registered
Reaction score
First of all i would like to know if there is a proper name for these??...And secondly is there a particular colour that you would use say if you are exploring caves or tunnels??

Cheers

Originally, they were Cyalume Light Sticks. Once they broke out into the general market, "light stick" became pretty generic. In military references & novels, I've often seen the term "chemical lights", sometimes shortened to "chemlights".

Green seems to be the most ubiquitous color. Red would likely be easier on the night vision, but I'm not sure how it would stack up in terms of usable light vs. other colors. I've seen references to specialized ones that gave off infared light as well, viewable only through NVGs. Might be a useful backup to IR goggles in case the integral lamp was damaged.

White-Tean

Illustration Student
Registered
Reaction score
Website
white-tean.livejournal.com
You've totally got me distracted with the mention of glow sticks and the military. If the military throws glow stick parties I'm totally going into the wrong career choice.
;)

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
We always called them "Chem Lights." We used them primarily for marking areas at night that were dangerous like concertina wire (we had someone fall into the wire once). If I recall correctly, I think they had some kind of hole on the end so they could be tied up. They break with a loud snap and instantly start glowing as you shake them up. There's liquid inside that moves around when you shake it. They're very bright when they are first broken. Over time, they gradually fade out. In the morning, we would always find them littered all over the ground.

Green was the only color I recall ever seeing.

Last edited:

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
I remember on one field exercise, we used red and green glowsticks/chemlights to identify the right and left boundaries of a road (hah. . . more like goat trail) through some arroyos at Ft. Irwin, CA.

But, mostly, we had green ones.

Hang of Thursdays

useless info sponge
Registered
Reaction score
You've totally got me distracted with the mention of glow sticks and the military. If the military throws glow stick parties I'm totally going into the wrong career choice.
;)

I, too, am surprised that the military is so into raves...

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
We used them primarily for marking areas at night that were dangerous ... green was the only color I recall ever seeing.
So you mark a dangerous area with GREEN lights !?

I guess everyone on site would know what it means, but it must backfire occassionally on outsiders !

Mac

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Cyalume Sticks. We used different colours to designate certain positions in the field. For example, marking out ambush sites you would use one colour for the boundaries and another for your lay-up point, and another for the RV points etc.

JJ

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com

I guess everyone on site would know what it means, but it must backfire occassionally on outsiders !

Mac

Mac,

In the military, you want outsiders to walk into the dangerous areas.

Makes it easier to shoot them. *grin*

Usually outsider means "enemy".

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com

Mac

We did not use them during Desert Storm. Only during the training exercises out in the field, where it didn't matter if someone saw the light. They were used to mark concertina wire and tent lines mainly, so that soldiers wouldn't trip over or run into them at night. Illuminated the area around them pretty well.

Color coding also doesn't always work that well. I have a relative who is color blind. A red one marking something dangerous wouldn't have meant anything to him because he can't see red like everyone else.

tailstrike

Thinking, always thinking!
Registered
Reaction score
Cheers for all the help so far...just another question...

Is there anything like chemlights that still serve the same purpose??

smcc360

I've Got An MFA In LEO
Registered
Reaction score
Is there anything like chemlights that still serve the same purpose??

If you mean marking and illuminating terrain, there are flares.

For exploring a cave, there are flashlights (with chem sticks as a backup), and helmet lights (like miners wear). Or a torch, if you want to look like Indiana Jones.

As for color, there's a blue one that seems to be a little brighter than the other colors available (yellow, red, green, and orange), but I don't know if it actually puts out more light or if that's just an optical illusion.

Last edited:

Vanatru

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

Cheers

As has already been mentioned, "chemlights" or "glowsticks" are the two most common names. There are other colors than the common green/yellow....but it's a case by case basis.

For tunnel crawls that I've been on, I rarely used them. If I can see the light, so can the enemy. If I pick up the stick and toss it forward each time I come to it, the bad guy can see me and pop me. No...if we did it with anything it was either NVG or infra-red sticks or nothing at all and let your eyes adjust....but those were not easy for us to get. Better to crawl in the dark and wait for the insurgent mercenaries to reveal themselves and then pop then show yourself with a light. Though, "well-diving" was a different thing. That was when the insurgent would take a vertical well and dig horizontal shafts along it's side as lay up points or cache sites and then you'd either drop a chem or dang a chem/flare on a twine downwards.