American poets in England

britwrit

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I'm writing a screenplay set in London about the son of a fictional American poet. I was curious if anyone knew of any other well-known poets from the US who've lived in England over the years?

I already know about Eliot, Ezra Pound, Sylvia Plath, Robert Frost, and Conrad Aiken but I was looking for more. For example, I have my hero passing by the square/former hotel in Earls Court where Allen Ginsberg stayed for in the 1950s. Any other references I could subtly work in?

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
WH Auden was born in the UK, but moved to the US in 1939 at the age of 32, and became a US citizen. Most of his better known work was written after he became as US citizen.

Wiiliam Dickey studied at Oxford 1959/60

Last edited:

Swordswoman

Resilient and kind
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, britwrit,

For me the simple answer is 'no' - at least, not 'well known'. There were minor US poets in the Pound group - eg H.D. (Hilda Doolittle) lived here, and so did Guy Davenport for a while. Robert Lowell lived in the UK for some years towards the end of his life, but otherwise I can only think of people who visited - eg Longfellow.

If you count Nabokov, who at least lived a long time in the US, he was at Trinity, Cambridge - but it sounds as if you're really looking just at London?

Did Herbert Kauffman ever live in the UK? He certainly had strong connections with the London newspaper, The Evening Standard.

Sorry not to be more helpful.

Louise

britwrit

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Thank you very much. That's exactly what I was looking for. I'd never known that Lowell spent a lot of his last few years here and I'd never even HEARD of HD. I'm going down to the library this weekend to check out her stuff.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
While you are at the library, look for "Americans in London" by Brian N. Morton, 1986, it has all sorts of literary and political Americans who were in London, quotes from and about them, and little maps of their milieu.