Talking about Age

KayTKay

Registered
Reaction score
I've gotten mixed responses on this so I'd like to get this cleared up.
When writing a query letter to a publishing agent...shoud you talk about about how old you are if you are a teenager (i.e. something like "I'm a sixteen year old with a finished manuscript").

Some people have told me that would be good and would get you noticed but other people say an agent wouldn't care and it would just make you look more unprofessional.

I'm very confused :/
thanks
Kaila

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I don't see why you would. I wouldn't put my age in a query. It doesn't matter.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... who are the people who told you "it would be good to state your age?" Do they have direct experience with the publishing industry? If so pay them some mind; if not, give them a kick for relaying dubious info.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Let your query letter speak for itself. The only time your age will become an issue is if representation is on the table. If you are underage and unable to sign a legal contract on your own, the agent will need to be informed.

Madisonwrites

The Unicorn Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madisonlovestowrite.blogspot.com
No age in the query letter, but I might mention your age when and if an agent calls you. S/He will need to know for contract signing purposes.

Other than that, don't worry about it. There's plenty of teen authors out there. :)

Good luck and happy writing! :D

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
Except that some agents won't work with teenagers, so it's better to state that up front and save both of you a lot of time if that's the case.

That's why there are two sides to this issue.