Take your MC on a date

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello peepholes. :D

Well I'm coming up to a part of my WIP where the two male MCs and one of the female MCs have been out to a pub for a few drinks, then back to one of their houses for dinner - such is the situation to inspire this thread.

I found myself thinking, "God, if only this guy was real!" and am throwing the question over to you - if one of your main characters came to life for twenty-four hours, and you could take them on a date, where would you take 'em, what would you do? Tell us a bit about them and what you think they'd like if they had a day to spend with their creator.

Posting this in AW Roundtable rather than Novels to bring it to a wider audience; all media welcome.

scarletpeaches, quietly anticipating thethinker42's answer later...

ccv707

He who asks, "Why?"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Perhaps in the past...I never had the tendency to become so "enraptured" by a character to think about them like that, since I do tend to do horrible things to them in the story (i.e., they're lucky to make it through to the end with a pulse). Plus, I'm finally in a happy, committed relationship (far too many bad ones) and I wouldn't dare ;) think of another woman in that light, especially a fictional one...though she likes Sawyer on Lost......damn that Josh Holloway and his rugged good looks!

Characters created by other people are another story...I'd take Number Three (Lucy Lawless) on a date, from BSG. But she'd probably want to spend all day talking about how foolish her own people are, and then try to enslave humanity...

Last edited:

Dale Emery

is way off topic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dalehartleyemery.com
The MCs of two of my novels are twelve-year-old boys. So I could probably take them just about anywhere for a date. Neverland Ranch, maybe.

The MC of my other novel is a homicidal cuckold. A gun and doll show would be nice.

Dale

(Note to self: Remember to delete this message without posting.)

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
The elf, she and I wouldn't be going out anywhere. We'd be staying in the whole time.

The Viking. Same.

The Norman soldier... um...

Dude, really? We have to leave the house?? Well, I suppose some things could be done in public....

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Okay okay, in all seriousness...

If I could choose one of my characters with whom to spend an evening, it would probably be either Darren from Between Brothers or Brandon from Rules of Engagement.

Can't really say much about them without divulging more than I'd like about the stories, but basically, they're both the type I could spend an evening* with just shooting the breeze and laughing. They're both the sarcastic type, though they each have their own sense of humor. Brandon has been known to pull practical jokes on people, while Darren is just more of a smartass. Either way, I'd love to hang out with one or both of them.

*And yes...I do mean spending the whole evening with him...or them...

Salis

You Lie!
Registered
Reaction score
Am I the only person who doesn't want to sleep with my characters? :|

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... the MC in my current tale loathes people. So if I asked them to have a spot of tea at Starbuck's or teh like they'd probably hang up on me :-(

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
This would surprise anyone who's read all my books, but the characters I'd most like to spend a day with would be the twin MCs from my YA series. Not necessarily a 'date' (they're kind of young for me, though they are cute), but talking with them would be really fun. I'm sure they would be fascinated by a world in which magic isn't a part of everyday life and by some of the more modern technology like airplanes and computers which don't yet exist on their world. Their impression of American culture would be fascinating. And they're sorcerers, so we could play with magic. :D

Salis

You Lie!
Registered
Reaction score
I dunno. Are they hot?

This is also what confuses me. I mean.... I have an MC, but I don't. There's a main cast of characters, each of which is pretty important. There's the guy who the narrative starts with, who definitely has more "screen time" than most characters, but he isn't necessarily the most important.

So, I guess, are there characters in my story I would find attractive? Sure. Would I want to sleep with them? I guess they aren't that real to me.

There *are* characters in my story I'd love to hang out with, though.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
I have two different novels. Ironically, both male MC's are law enforcement officers. I'd go for the U.S Marshal- Michael Whitly (Irish from Brooklyn) and I'd want to have our date be dinner and a play in Manhattan. If that's too snooty for him, I'd settle for a picnic on the living room floor with candle light and a nice bottle of Gracia Rose. :)

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
So, I guess, are there characters in my story I would find attractive? Sure. Would I want to sleep with them? I guess they aren't that real to me.

I write erotic romance. I spent a lot of time in my characters' bedrooms. If I ever actually MET them, you'd better believe I'd want to...ahem...talk shop.

Now, my characters from my non-romance stories? Not so much. I'd love to sit down and have coffee with a few of them, but wouldn't try to drag them into the bedroom. In this instance, I think genre makes a huge difference.

Reaction score

Just teasing. :D

I have two different novels. Ironically, both male MC's are law enforcement officers. I'd go for the U.S Marshal- Michael Whitly (Irish from Brooklyn) and I'd want to have our date be dinner and a play in Manhattan. If that's too snooty for him, I'd settle for a picnic on the living room floor with candle light and a nice bottle of Gracia Rose. :)

Ooh, men in uniform? Excellent choice madam!

I write erotic romance. I spent a lot of time in my characters' bedrooms. If I ever actually MET them, you'd better believe I'd want to...ahem...talk shop.

Now, my characters from my non-romance stories? Not so much. I'd love to sit down and have coffee with a few of them, but wouldn't try to drag them into the bedroom. In this instance, I think genre makes a huge difference.

And as I write the same genre and Lori has been rather appreciative of my latest effort, I'm duty-bound to say "Double date with Alex and Gabe." :D

Salis

You Lie!
Registered
Reaction score

Yeah, I was thinking this right after I posted.

"Huh, I bet it's because there's very little sexual context in my story."

Ironically, there IS sex, it's just not very important to the story, in the same sense that sex isn't very important to a lot of people in real life. It's just something you do, like eating*.

*let the innuendo begin

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Yeah, I was thinking this right after I posted.

"Huh, I bet it's because there's very little sexual context in my story."

Ironically, there IS sex, it's just not very important to the story, in the same sense that sex isn't very important to a lot of people in real life.

That definitely makes a difference, then. Sex is an integral part of my stories, so I get rather intimately acquainted with my characters. Makes me see them in a somewhat different light. ;)

It's just something you do, like eating*.

*let the innuendo begin

*exercises restraint*

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. Out of all my characters, I think I'd like to take Danny from a now-defunct urban fantasy I wrote...holy crap, two years ago!

Anyway, he'd probably insist on going to a bar (he's got a wee drinking problem, does Danny), but I'd have to drag him out somewhere to eat first. Unless he's at his friend Theo's house, he doesn't eat anything that but fast food and microwaved stuff. Sometimes Chinese. I'd take him out for a proper meal, some drinks, and then we'd go shoot some pool or something.

That's about it. Danny's a great guy, but too troubled for me. Well, that and I'm married. :D

ETA: Oh, and he's also a little bit dead.

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting question!

I've written many, many novels. For the most part, if I spent twenty-four hours with any of my characters, I'd need a bulletproof, magic-proof body suit (and if it had invisibility too, that'd be extremely helpful) in order to spend the following twenty-four hours among the living.

But it would definitely not be a boring day. :D

wannawrite

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kcwildwood.net
Hm...

I would tie Valkan to a bedpost and not let him up for twenty-four hours, and he would be fine with that.

Conner, I would go horseback riding with. That is probably all. He is too nice. Not my style.

Laurion and I would talk politics. Then I would lick him like a lollipop.

Kade I would jump and ride like the wild stallion he is. (figuratively)

Keegan and I would sit on the porch swing and drink lemonade. He is very sweet and more than a little inhibited. I wouldn't want to scare him.

As for the chicks? Pretty much the same, only I would take them shopping first. *smiles*

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
*Sigh* My MC would be very respectful to me. (His deceased father would be a more likely prospect for a fling, but....) We would find plenty to talk about, though, and if I could come up with a couple of drums, who knows what mischief we might get up to. On the astral plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.