PDA

View Full Version : Take your MC on a date

scarletpeaches
06-28-2009, 12:56 AM
Hello peepholes. :D

Well I'm coming up to a part of my WIP where the two male MCs and one of the female MCs have been out to a pub for a few drinks, then back to one of their houses for dinner - such is the situation to inspire this thread.

I found myself thinking, "God, if only this guy was real!" and am throwing the question over to you - if one of your main characters came to life for twenty-four hours, and you could take them on a date, where would you take 'em, what would you do? Tell us a bit about them and what you think they'd like if they had a day to spend with their creator.

Posting this in AW Roundtable rather than Novels to bring it to a wider audience; all media welcome.

scarletpeaches, quietly anticipating thethinker42's answer later...

ccv707
06-28-2009, 01:05 AM
Perhaps in the past...I never had the tendency to become so "enraptured" by a character to think about them like that, since I do tend to do horrible things to them in the story (i.e., they're lucky to make it through to the end with a pulse). Plus, I'm finally in a happy, committed relationship (far too many bad ones) and I wouldn't dare ;) think of another woman in that light, especially a fictional one...though she likes Sawyer on Lost......damn that Josh Holloway and his rugged good looks!

Characters created by other people are another story...I'd take Number Three (Lucy Lawless) on a date, from BSG. But she'd probably want to spend all day talking about how foolish her own people are, and then try to enslave humanity...

Dale Emery
06-28-2009, 01:50 AM
The MCs of two of my novels are twelve-year-old boys. So I could probably take them just about anywhere for a date. Neverland Ranch, maybe.

The MC of my other novel is a homicidal cuckold. A gun and doll show would be nice.

Dale

(Note to self: Remember to delete this message without posting.)

SPMiller
06-28-2009, 02:50 AM
Most if not all of my characters would try to kill me for what I've put them through.

jennontheisland
06-28-2009, 03:28 AM
The elf, she and I wouldn't be going out anywhere. We'd be staying in the whole time.

The Viking. Same.

The Norman soldier... um...

Dude, really? We have to leave the house?? Well, I suppose some things could be done in public....

thethinker42
06-28-2009, 03:32 AM
scarletpeaches, quietly anticipating thethinker42's answer later...

Hmm...decisions...

Answer the question with the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth...

...or...

...continue enjoying my status as non-banned on AW?

Dilemmas, dilemmas...

thethinker42
06-28-2009, 03:46 AM
Okay okay, in all seriousness...

If I could choose one of my characters with whom to spend an evening, it would probably be either Darren from Between Brothers or Brandon from Rules of Engagement.

Can't really say much about them without divulging more than I'd like about the stories, but basically, they're both the type I could spend an evening* with just shooting the breeze and laughing. They're both the sarcastic type, though they each have their own sense of humor. Brandon has been known to pull practical jokes on people, while Darren is just more of a smartass. Either way, I'd love to hang out with one or both of them.

*And yes...I do mean spending the whole evening with him...or them...

Salis
06-28-2009, 04:47 AM
Am I the only person who doesn't want to sleep with my characters? :|

Ken
06-28-2009, 04:53 AM
... the MC in my current tale loathes people. So if I asked them to have a spot of tea at Starbuck's or teh like they'd probably hang up on me :-(

scarletpeaches
06-28-2009, 04:54 AM

I dunno. Are they hot?

Chasing the Horizon
06-28-2009, 04:55 AM
This would surprise anyone who's read all my books, but the characters I'd most like to spend a day with would be the twin MCs from my YA series. Not necessarily a 'date' (they're kind of young for me, though they are cute), but talking with them would be really fun. I'm sure they would be fascinated by a world in which magic isn't a part of everyday life and by some of the more modern technology like airplanes and computers which don't yet exist on their world. Their impression of American culture would be fascinating. And they're sorcerers, so we could play with magic. :D

Salis
06-28-2009, 04:56 AM
I dunno. Are they hot?

This is also what confuses me. I mean.... I have an MC, but I don't. There's a main cast of characters, each of which is pretty important. There's the guy who the narrative starts with, who definitely has more "screen time" than most characters, but he isn't necessarily the most important.

So, I guess, are there characters in my story I would find attractive? Sure. Would I want to sleep with them? I guess they aren't that real to me.

There *are* characters in my story I'd love to hang out with, though.

Cassiopeia
06-28-2009, 04:57 AM
I have two different novels. Ironically, both male MC's are law enforcement officers. I'd go for the U.S Marshal- Michael Whitly (Irish from Brooklyn) and I'd want to have our date be dinner and a play in Manhattan. If that's too snooty for him, I'd settle for a picnic on the living room floor with candle light and a nice bottle of Gracia Rose. :)

thethinker42
06-28-2009, 05:04 AM
So, I guess, are there characters in my story I would find attractive? Sure. Would I want to sleep with them? I guess they aren't that real to me.

I write erotic romance. I spent a lot of time in my characters' bedrooms. If I ever actually MET them, you'd better believe I'd want to...ahem...talk shop.

Now, my characters from my non-romance stories? Not so much. I'd love to sit down and have coffee with a few of them, but wouldn't try to drag them into the bedroom. In this instance, I think genre makes a huge difference.

scarletpeaches
06-28-2009, 05:05 AM

Just teasing. :D

I have two different novels. Ironically, both male MC's are law enforcement officers. I'd go for the U.S Marshal- Michael Whitly (Irish from Brooklyn) and I'd want to have our date be dinner and a play in Manhattan. If that's too snooty for him, I'd settle for a picnic on the living room floor with candle light and a nice bottle of Gracia Rose. :)

Ooh, men in uniform? Excellent choice madam!

I write erotic romance. I spent a lot of time in my characters' bedrooms. If I ever actually MET them, you'd better believe I'd want to...ahem...talk shop.

Now, my characters from my non-romance stories? Not so much. I'd love to sit down and have coffee with a few of them, but wouldn't try to drag them into the bedroom. In this instance, I think genre makes a huge difference.

And as I write the same genre and Lori has been rather appreciative of my latest effort, I'm duty-bound to say "Double date with Alex and Gabe." :D

Salis
06-28-2009, 05:12 AM

Yeah, I was thinking this right after I posted.

"Huh, I bet it's because there's very little sexual context in my story."

Ironically, there IS sex, it's just not very important to the story, in the same sense that sex isn't very important to a lot of people in real life. It's just something you do, like eating*.

*let the innuendo begin

thethinker42
06-28-2009, 05:20 AM
Yeah, I was thinking this right after I posted.

"Huh, I bet it's because there's very little sexual context in my story."

Ironically, there IS sex, it's just not very important to the story, in the same sense that sex isn't very important to a lot of people in real life.

That definitely makes a difference, then. Sex is an integral part of my stories, so I get rather intimately acquainted with my characters. Makes me see them in a somewhat different light. ;)

It's just something you do, like eating*.

*let the innuendo begin

*exercises restraint*

Cranky
06-28-2009, 05:30 AM
Hmm. Out of all my characters, I think I'd like to take Danny from a now-defunct urban fantasy I wrote...holy crap, two years ago!

Anyway, he'd probably insist on going to a bar (he's got a wee drinking problem, does Danny), but I'd have to drag him out somewhere to eat first. Unless he's at his friend Theo's house, he doesn't eat anything that but fast food and microwaved stuff. Sometimes Chinese. I'd take him out for a proper meal, some drinks, and then we'd go shoot some pool or something.

That's about it. Danny's a great guy, but too troubled for me. Well, that and I'm married. :D

ETA: Oh, and he's also a little bit dead.

Cassiopeia
06-28-2009, 05:31 AM
ETA: Oh, and he's also a little bit dead.Yeah, the dead part would really stop me. LOL

SPMiller
06-28-2009, 05:48 AM
Well, that and I'm married. :DHe's not real, so it doesn't count.

ETA: Oh, and he's also a little bit dead.Even better.

swvaughn
06-28-2009, 05:58 AM
Interesting question!

I've written many, many novels. For the most part, if I spent twenty-four hours with any of my characters, I'd need a bulletproof, magic-proof body suit (and if it had invisibility too, that'd be extremely helpful) in order to spend the following twenty-four hours among the living.

But it would definitely not be a boring day. :D

wannawrite
06-28-2009, 05:58 AM
Hm...

I would tie Valkan to a bedpost and not let him up for twenty-four hours, and he would be fine with that.

Conner, I would go horseback riding with. That is probably all. He is too nice. Not my style.

Laurion and I would talk politics. Then I would lick him like a lollipop.

Kade I would jump and ride like the wild stallion he is. (figuratively)

Keegan and I would sit on the porch swing and drink lemonade. He is very sweet and more than a little inhibited. I wouldn't want to scare him.

As for the chicks? Pretty much the same, only I would take them shopping first. *smiles*

Matera the Mad
06-28-2009, 10:13 AM
*Sigh* My MC would be very respectful to me. (His deceased father would be a more likely prospect for a fling, but....) We would find plenty to talk about, though, and if I could come up with a couple of drums, who knows what mischief we might get up to. On the astral plane.

dnic
06-28-2009, 10:25 AM
*exercises restraint*

- exercises restraint on pointing out innuendos relating to restraints -

:tongue Oh. Opera and fondue party afterward for sure. The current male MC's a bit of an indoor-ish type.

blacbird
06-28-2009, 10:43 AM
Not a chance in hell. Not one of 'em. Never ever ever.

caw

Mr Flibble
06-28-2009, 03:03 PM
Oh, well, let's see

Yeah, cuff Ilf to the bed ( only way to keep the little sod under control) and show him what he's been missing these last centuries.

Go drinking with Regin and Hilde. Probably end up in a fight somewhere, but hey, Regin could sort it. Give Hunter a hug and try and get him laid, bless his little cottons ( not with me. He's more of a brother kind of love)

Oh and my pirate lad...that'd be a hot and heavy week that could leave scars. Ya know?

Adam
06-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Mal (reaper novella) - All night drinking in a dive bar, followed by fascinating tales of his more disgusting reaps.

Garett (fantasy novel) - Nice meal somewhere, followed by a walk in a park where I'll attempt to explain what the hell cars, phones and electricity are. ;)

Jacob (sci fi novella) - Quiet drink in a bar, followed by several hours discussing the latest innovations in the field of bio-mechanics.

Hmmm, I need either a female MC or a gay male one...

sunna
06-28-2009, 07:08 PM
Devin --a Franz Ferdinand concert, followed by a pub crawl, finished off by skinny dipping drunk in the city fountain and getting arrested for public indecency.

Jessica --bungee-jumping, then a wine bar.

Simon -- probably the Smithsonian, then a decent dinner at a middling restaurant where we both drink a little too much and say a little too much, and then are too embarrassed to go on a 2nd date.

Raina --we'd start out at a wine tasting, end up having a few too many, hot-wiring a Ferrari, and going out for an all-night joyride.

Red-Green
06-28-2009, 10:22 PM
Since my MC is on death row, I think any date would simply involve your standard visitation on either side of chicken-wire glass. Which is good. He's on death row for a reason.

BenPanced
06-28-2009, 11:05 PM
Brian -- Probably Christo's for Greek. It has great food and since he'd only be around for 24 hours, I'd be able to inflict the Christo's Curse on him (get hopelessly infatuated with a guy, tell him I think things are going great and I'd like to see where they go, go to Christo's, BLAMMO, we break up about a week later. Happened to me three times, so you can't tell me it's mere coincidence.)

Rhys -- a screaming dive with the sloppiest, greasiest burgers on the planet. I inflict three blind dates upon him and he has two "fancy schmancy" dinners (the second date, they walk out on each other without eating), so I think he deserves a night of some serious junk.

ccv707
06-29-2009, 01:40 AM

Nope. I'm right there with you. I've never felt that kind of thing for my characters...after all, they aren't real.

BigWords
06-29-2009, 02:42 AM
Most of my female characters are psychopaths, serial killers, vampires, hired killers or some other type of bloodthirsty whack-job, so the answer is NO. I wouldn't survive the night.

EFCollins
06-29-2009, 02:45 AM
I'd go out with my current MC, provided it's before she goes bonkers, gouges out her eardrum with a screwdriver and throws her boyfriend off the bell tower next door.

Where would we go? For beer and pizza or steak hoagies, then to an architectural museum.

Kurtz
06-29-2009, 02:50 AM
The thought of my characters inhabiting the same universe that I do makes me feel very uncomfortable. What makes you think they're going to like what you've done to them? My main character will remain in the Syrian desert surrounded by vultures.

aadams73
06-29-2009, 03:38 AM
I don't want to date any of my characters. My main current main character is female and I just don't go that way. I guess we could go out and shoot some targets together.

thethinker42
06-29-2009, 04:26 AM
Nope. I'm right there with you. I've never felt that kind of thing for my characters...after all, they aren't real.

All "wanting to sleep with them" notwithstanding, I've felt a very strong connection to many of my characters. I know I'm on the right track with a book when writing the "oh shit" moment is positively gut-wrenching because I just don't want to do that to them. (Blogged about this very topic (http://navywifeadventures.blogspot.com/2009/05/getting-involved.html)) I've actually felt sick to my stomach writing some scenes because I'm thinking "Sorry, guys, I really don't want to do this..."

If a character doesn't feel that real to me, then something is missing in the story.

scarletpeaches
06-29-2009, 04:27 AM
All "wanting to sleep with them" notwithstanding, I've felt a very strong connection to many of my characters. I know I'm on the right track with a book when writing the "oh shit" moment is positively gut-wrenching because I just don't want to do that to them. (Blogged about this very topic (http://navywifeadventures.blogspot.com/2009/05/getting-involved.html)) I've actually felt sick to my stomach writing some scenes because I'm thinking "Sorry, guys, I really don't want to do this..."

If a character doesn't feel that real to me, then something is missing in the story.

That scene was made of teh sadz. :(

thethinker42
06-29-2009, 04:38 AM
That scene was made of teh sadz. :(

I know. :(

I think I should take them both out for drinks just to make it up for them.

And maybe...

...ahem...

...yeah, drinks. *whistles*

scarletpeaches
06-29-2009, 04:40 AM
As long as your two hot bartenders were working that night, I'd bring Gabe and Alex with me.

thethinker42
06-29-2009, 04:42 AM
As long as your two hot bartenders were working that night, I'd bring Gabe and Alex with me.

Now THAT would be fun. *ALL* of our main characters in ONE CLUB. Forget taking one out on a date, I want to have a party and invite ALL of them.

Except the antagonists, those bastards...

SPMiller
06-29-2009, 04:47 AM
Oh, if the question is whether I'd fuck some of my characters, then yeah, I'd probably do a few of them--provided they don't kill me. But I wouldn't want to take them on dates. I don't think we'd have much to talk about.

scarletpeaches
06-29-2009, 04:48 AM
I'd love to spend the evening with my first male MC. He's an insane flirt.

The characters from my current WIP? Hmm. One would probably try to kill me. The two guys would be too interested in each other to fool around with me and the other one? Well she's confused...

thethinker42
06-29-2009, 04:51 AM
I'd love to spend the evening with my first male MC. He's an insane flirt.

Get in line, woman. I'M going out with him tonight.

The characters from my current WIP? Hmm. One would probably try to kill me. The two guys would be too interested in each other to fool around with me and the other one? Well she's confused...

You two would get along famously, then. :D

scarletpeaches
06-29-2009, 04:53 AM
Get in line, woman. I'M going out with him tonight.

See what I have to put up with?

Just because I write a character who's insanely hot, tt42 thinks she has the right to smexnap him.

You two would get along famously, then. :D

I'm not confused. I'm just desperate.

That's why I talk to you.

thethinker42
06-29-2009, 04:54 AM
See what I have to put up with?

Just because I write a character who's insanely hot, tt42 thinks she has the right to smexnap him.

Like you wouldn't swipe one of my characters if given half a chance. *keeps the lot of them under lock and key*

I'm not confused. I'm just desperate.

That's why I talk to you.

You talk to me because you love me. It's okay, you don't have to admit it. Everyone knows it. C'mon, Scarlet, give us a hug...*runs after Scarlet with arms extended*

scarletpeaches
06-29-2009, 04:55 AM
I h8 u, looser.

thethinker42
06-29-2009, 04:57 AM
I h8 u, looser.

I have proof to the contrary.

*THREAD RERAIL*

If I could go on a date with ANY character, it would be Scarlet's first male MC. Yes. It's true. I'd kidnap that bastard and spend an hour or two just bantering in a bar with him before I took him home.

SaxyTori
07-01-2009, 08:10 AM
I've had a crush on Michael since before PsychoHeidi and I started writing the novel.

Hans is sexy, but I don't want to be burned, thanks.

Phaeal
07-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Well, since my MC is fifteen and something of a geek, we'd probably play WoW or Diablo for a while, then have a Battlestar Galactica marathon, with the mandatory pizza and wings. Mmmm.

Then, when the MC fell asleep, I'd sneak off and fall all over his father. Double mmmmm.

bettielee
07-01-2009, 10:40 PM
Well.... Baerwen is the one I find most attractive, but I couldn't do that to Jale.

After Loic's fling with the Queen, I might not mind a night with him myself.... and Guy is always up for a good time. He's the least sexy, but the most fun.

...any of the Dragongar are fascinating and I wouldn't mind hearing their tales; the ones I haven't written yet. Maybe one of the Wings, they fly all over and see some amazing shit.

maestrowork
07-01-2009, 10:50 PM
Skip the dating part.

I'd marry the heroine this minute.

Rebekah7
07-01-2009, 11:16 PM
Charles - I don't think I'd want to go out with a psychotic demon in a tangerine colored suit and access to a realm of unending pain. Especially since the only thing he's ever been in is a piece of horror flash fiction. What if he decides that I've insulted him by not putting him in more stuff?

Jonny - Hmmm, a lonely man who walks down a road and sobs. Yeah, that'll be really fun.
"Hey depressed dude, want to go out for drinks? No, I don't care about your guilt or why it caused you to become a public speaker, I just want to head to a bar."
Ugh. I want to spend time with someone in a mood, I'll talk to myself.

Dark - That could be interesting. I could get him drunk, watch him do something stupid, and stick it in my WIP.

scarletpeaches
07-01-2009, 11:23 PM
Skip the dating part.

I'd marry the heroine this minute.

Jeez, Ray, have you been writing books about me again?

penny manning
07-02-2009, 01:01 AM
Hate to admit it but if I could have one date with my handsome, well-equipped MC, I'd consider it. But ONLY if at the end of the date I'm in the superior position and his hands are tied down so he can't perform auto-erotic asphyxiation on me. There are some things I just won't try. No matter how fine a man is.

Marcus
07-02-2009, 02:08 AM
There are some things I just won't try. No matter how fine a man is.

AWE! you gotta get with someone that understands the double tap! Also strangulation of the blood flow is great if you don't mess with the air flow! Think, binding your hands together on each side of the neck constricting only the jugulars. Very hot!

Too much, double tap out, poof over in a second! :D ;)

penny manning
07-02-2009, 02:27 AM
AWE! you gotta get with someone that understands the double tap! Also strangulation of the blood flow is great if you don't mess with the air flow! Think, binding your hands together on each side of the neck constricting only the jugulars. Very hot!

Johnny Manningfield! Take lessons! :) Then I'll see you next week at eight, sweet thang.

Alitriona
07-02-2009, 02:44 AM
I think I'd have to go with Micah, a tormented angel from my latest WIP. He's very dark, brooding, brave, sexy as hell and he would scare me just a little in real life but I would be putty in his hands.

bettielee
07-02-2009, 05:39 AM

Marcus says things like this... and it make me uncomfortable....

**backs out of thread slowly**

Salis
07-02-2009, 06:12 AM
You're all poonhounds.

thethinker42
07-02-2009, 06:28 AM
You're all poonhounds.

Guilty as charged.

SPMiller
07-02-2009, 08:16 AM
You're all poonhounds.If that means what I think it means... then yes.

bettielee
07-02-2009, 11:43 AM
I'm not lookin' for poon... just a.... oh wait.

Bmwhtly
07-02-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm not taking that freak on a date!

jst5150
07-02-2009, 12:45 PM
Evan - I'd play a round of golf with him, just to get a few pointers. Then maybe a round of drinks at the bar afterward. I created him, so I know everything else about him, save a few gaps professionally.

Dratch - He's modeled after a real person, with whom I've had beers and discussion. Not sure I'd want to hang with the character as much. That sort of personality grates after a time and all the negativity would be harmful.

Elidibus
07-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Are YA authors allowed to post here. Cuz all of my MC's are like...15 year old girls...and...

You know what? Screw it. We've already been there in this thread I see :-)

Let's see...

Nicole: I'd probably take her to one of those restaurants on top of a really tall building.So she can see the entire sky. She'd love that.

Sophia: She's actually 18. But I'm thinking less classy. Applebees? She's not one for getting really dressy where as Nicole would probably do it since she's not a jaded in her young age. These guys are both in the same book.

As far as some other things I'm writing.

Sharon. Pizza hut. Without a doubt. She's a garlic fanatic like I am. Although we'd fight over the garlic sauce. I could see that playful argument turning into some shouts and then tea being splashed in faces. With her winning, actually. However! I know she'd be totally impressed with me. Where she comes from, A pizza delivered to your house runs you about 300 bucks. (Dystopian world indeed!)And I would pay cash. That's how you impress the ladies! Just as long as she's not aware that a pizza is a good twenty bucks or so.

Naomi: Unfortunately, I'd probably have to take her to volunteer at one of the animal shelters in town. She'd be totally into that. We'd end up giving dogs baths, getting filthy, but having a lot of fun (I do love dogs) And at the end of the day, we'd more than likely adopt a puppy or nine. Leaving me with furry mouths to feed once the 24 hours ended.

Azralea: The grocery store. Not just a crappy one but one of the mega grocery stores. Things don't quite work the way they do on her planet like things here. Buy her a few boxes of Cap'n Crunch and I'd be in real good shape. And she's actually 20 in earth years too...

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. :-)