PDA

View Full Version : Quick Alzheimer's question...

quickWit
06-27-2009, 12:06 AM
Would it be reasonable for an Alzheimer's patient to remember an individual who visits them regularly, but not remember their relationship with the same individual from decades before?

It seems plausible to me, but yanno...I'm pretty stoopit. :)

Thanks.

AngelRoseDarke
06-27-2009, 12:12 AM
Yes, that can happen. I was a nurse in an Alzheimer's unit, and that was a pretty frequent occurance.

For example: I had a lady who knew her husband's name and remembered him on every visit, but she thought he was a friend. She didn't remember that they were married, and had been for over 50 years!

dgrintalis
06-27-2009, 12:15 AM
It depends on how progressed the illness is. My grandmother had Alzheimer's. In the beginning, she would frequently forget our names but when we told her what they were and our relationship to her, she seemed to remember, sometimes. She would tell rambling stories, a mix of past and present events, sometimes the names were right, sometimes not. Later, she forgot who we all were and none of the reminders worked and the things she said were less and less cohesive and more childlike, if that makes sense. Before she was bedridden, she could be a violent. She punched my aunt when my aunt tried to wash her hair and would curse at my grandfather. (Something she never, ever did before the disease.) She didn't forget his name until the very end, although I don't think she knew he was her husband.

I hope that helps.

quickWit
06-27-2009, 12:15 AM
Thanks Angel. That's what I thought.

:)

ETA: Thanks to you as well, Damien. :D

Medievalist
06-27-2009, 12:57 AM
Yes. That's completely reasonable.

quickWit
06-27-2009, 01:00 AM
Thanks M :)

Red-Green
06-27-2009, 03:05 AM
My grandmother always remembered me from visit to visit, even at the very end where she remembered no one else. Only problem...she thought I was her little sister Lolene who'd died when they were kids.