PDA

View Full Version : Submission Strategy

popmuze
06-26-2009, 10:20 PM
If you had three finished novels in three different genres by the same author ready to submit, how would you handle it:

1) Submit the most commercial first but mention the other two in the cover letter.
2) Submit all three at once to three editors in three different genres, not mentioning the others.
3) Submit all three under three different pseudonyms.
4) Submit more than one to an editor who does these genres.
5) Another, even better strategy, which is......?

triceretops
06-27-2009, 06:55 AM
I took route #2. I had the same problem. I thought, wow, maybe the economy can actually get worse soz I best get them out there. I sent all three out at the same time--one SF, one thriller, and one paranormal. They all sold to the small print press (different houses) within 35 days of each other. I didn't expect that to happen at all. Good that that they were all received/loved well by the editors and publishers. Bad because now I'm flooded with house edits from all three. Sometimes I can't keep my editor's names straight, or I forget the format or house style. Gulp.

If I had to do it over, I would have staggered the timing on the subs so everything didn't bunch up like it did. That way I could prep one at a time.

Tri

Madisonwrites
06-27-2009, 07:03 AM
I actually have the same problem. I have three novels ready for submission and have been querying them all. I never send out two stories at once. So when my YA was out, my two MG's were on the shelf. When one MG was out, the other MG and YA were on the shelf. I kinda rotated with them, not sure which one I really wanted to pitch, but I have selected one of my MG manuscripts. Now I'm just going to market it. It has generated the most interest everywhere, so I think that's the route I'm going.

Don't know if I helped or not, but thanks for letting me ramble. :)

KTC
06-27-2009, 07:06 AM
I actually have several novels out at the moment. I went with the agents/publishers I wanted each one to go to. I have two literary novels with one publisher. I have a YA with an agent and a literary at a different publisher and a fifth one that has been out too long to be considered out any more. I would go with #2.

Irysangel
06-27-2009, 06:03 PM
If you had three finished novels in three different genres by the same author ready to submit, how would you handle it:

1) Submit the most commercial first but mention the other two in the cover letter.
2) Submit all three at once to three editors in three different genres, not mentioning the others.
3) Submit all three under three different pseudonyms.
4) Submit more than one to an editor who does these genres.
5) Another, even better strategy, which is......?

1) Submit the most commercial.

However. Wouldn't mention the others until there was definite interest in the first one.

eqb
06-27-2009, 06:47 PM
1) Submit the most commercial.

However. Wouldn't mention the others until there was definite interest in the first one.

What She Said.

CloudyDay
06-27-2009, 07:20 PM
Hmm. I guess I would do #2.

I'm in a similar predicament. The agent that I fired has to finish pitching two novels. One is the novel that caused her to sign me. Late last year she'd read a different novel and requested changes. I had to send her that second novel because she'd started pitching it to editors. (The second is a paranormal, the first isn't. very different books.) Now I'm trying to find an agent with a novel that is different from the first two. I'm not really mentioning the others in my query letter. Of course, I rarely know what I'm doing. :)