Cover sheet with partials?

scottishpunk

Registered
Reaction score
Should I use my coversheet when I'm only sending off a few pages, or should I add info to my coversheet indicating it as a partial. Or perhaps I should just skip using my coversheet altogether. What should I do?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
If someone requests a partial, send it as a "reply" to the request so that the original email shows up and makes it easy to see that it was actually requested material.

Put something simple like,

As requested, here are the first XXX pages of [title].

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

You

Then write REQUESTED MATERIAL in the subject line.

Danthia

I sent a cover sheet with my partials. I assume you mean the "title, by, contact info" page and not a cover letter, correct? I also sent a cover letter, which was the response to the request for the pages. "Per your request of X on Y date, here is..."

scottishpunk

Registered
Reaction score
I'm just talking about the initial 2-5 pages that the agent wants along with your query... not an actual request for a partial...

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
A bit confusing. Are you saying you've never had had any previous contact with the agent? I assume that's what you mean. If so, the agent's guidelines will tell you what to send (e.g., a query and a partial consisting of a specific number or chapters).

Brindle Chase

Dancing on the edge
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.forlorn-hope.net
I'm just talking about the initial 2-5 pages that the agent wants along with your query... not an actual request for a partial...

Generally, yes. Include a coversheet with any correspondence on the first communication. In all followup communications, provide whatever they request, but if its left vague, include a cover letter that mentions their last communication to you. I hope that helps?

Harper K

here's to the girl on the go
Registered
Reaction score
Website
weirdquietgirl.wordpress.com
You're just talking about attaching the first 3 - 5 pages with an unsolicited query, right?

In that case, I would just put, in the case of an e-mail query: "The first [#] pages are pasted below."

And in the case of a snail-mail query: "The first [#] pages are enclosed."

I'd probably put that sentence just before the closing of your letter, right after the good 'ol "Thanks for your time and consideration."

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score

In that case, your query is your cover letter. Just add a line to tell them that you put the pages in. PASTE them into an email - do NOT attach.