PR Web / Goodreads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 42

Do NOT use Goodreads to promote your book; Goodreads is a social, complex and very active community--join it if you're interested in discussing books other than your own, but please, don't pollute the community or exploit it for PR.

Joining Goodreads just for PR is just as bad as when people join AW just to promote their editing or book or whatever, rather than to be an active part of the community.

Vomaxx

Registered
Reaction score
Website
andiriel.blogspot.com
please, don't pollute the community or exploit it for PR. Joining Goodreads just for PR is just as bad as when people join AW just to promote their editing or book or whatever, rather than to be an active part of the community.

Thanks for this insight. The Goodreads site has a two-page section on its "author program" which says, among other things, "Use Goodreads to promote yourself and your books... the author program is... designed to help authors reach their target audience... This is the perfect place for new and established authors to promote their books.... Sign up to advertise your book to the Goodreads Community--2 million readers!"

So, taking them at their word, I am wondering if anyone here has done this, and with what results.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
As with any social networking the key is in being social (two way communication), and networking (two way communication).

caseyquinn

Just happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shortstory.us.com
They have a good sized membership who are active readers - i think that would be a perfect place to market your book if you treat it like a social network not a one way advertisement like veinglory said -

SandraBeckwith

Helping authors promote
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.buildbookbuzz.com
PRWeb is a press release distribution service and I've used it to promote my books with good results, but you have to be using it to send out newsworthy material and you have to select appropriate media distribution lists. I haven't used Goodreads but from what I know about social networking and book promotion, the advice offered here about how to use it is excellent.

Cheers,
Sandy

Nandi

Registered
Reaction score
PRWeb is a press release distribution service and I've used it to promote my books with good results, but you have to be using it to send out newsworthy material and you have to select appropriate media distribution lists. I haven't used Goodreads but from what I know about social networking and book promotion, the advice offered here about how to use it is excellent.

Cheers,
Sandy

Sandy, how does that work, exactly? Does PRWeb provide you with lists from which to select the media you want the release sent to?

SandraBeckwith

Helping authors promote
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.buildbookbuzz.com
Yes, they provide you with category options -- "packaging trade magazines," "women's magazines," etc. You also need to select the correct title for the person you're sending to, which is particularly important at daily newspapers, so it helps to know ahead of time that you want to send your release to, say, the religion reporter at newspapers rather than the business editor.

Sandy

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Re: Goodreads

I joined last year, mostly because I was interested in seeing what people are reading. I enjoy getting the daily updates from my "friends," and I've friended a lot of authors since joining. I'm also a Goodreads Author, I have a page for myself, and a feed to my blog, but I don't use it to advertise. I try to exist there as a member who happens to be an author.

I actually unfriended someone recently who did nothing but send promotion invitations to join groups and events that were all tailored to her self-pubbed book release. I'm all for supporting folks, but when that's all you use a site for....well, don't. It just annoys people.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
That's exactly how I'm using Goodreads. And I recently unfriended a couple of people on Twitter for the same reason. Promotion is one thing, spamming your feed several times an hour with the same "look at me! Buy my book!" message doesn't work.

AngelicaRJackson

Angelic Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
AngelicaRJackson.blogspot.com
A friend just sent me an invitation to join Goodreads, and while I was checking it out I noticed the same author program mentioned above. Thought it looked interesting all around, whether for its original purpose of book discussion (and isn't encouraging reading and a love books beneficial for all authors in the long run?) or as an author presence.

Looks like another enjoyably addictive way to waste my time (exhibit A: here I am, logged onto AW again!)

Status
Not open for further replies.