PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth recommendations!

spamwarrior
06-26-2009, 05:48 AM
I just downloaded Google Earth.

And I'm having fun looking at all the places. But I need some recommendations. Does anyone have any recommendations on places I can go "see?"

Also, does anybody know the names of those lizards and animals that the Native Americans made? They can be seen from the sky.

MattW
06-26-2009, 05:53 AM
Nazca lines in Peru?

spamwarrior
06-26-2009, 06:35 AM
Thanks, I think those were what I was thinking of!

cray
06-26-2009, 07:47 AM
see if you can find my swiss army knife lost at the grand canyon of pennsylvania many moons ago.

spamwarrior
06-26-2009, 07:59 AM
I'll do my best. Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania, you said?

benbradley
06-26-2009, 09:37 AM
I never downloaded it, I've just used the online version. Is there some advantage to the downloaded version?

I hear Google Earth was getting updated photographs of Iran, where there's been a lot of people out lately.

And does it let you specify date? Washington DC had some big crowds back January 20th.

How about old houses where you used to live and grew up? What about your elementary and high schools?

Maryn
06-26-2009, 05:48 PM
When I had to reformat my hard drive, one of the losses was all my GoogleEarth placemarks. Most of them are find-able again. I had:

Every house I'd ever lived in.
The former site of the hospital where I was born.
Every school I attended.
Every place I worked.
Many places I'd visited/vacationed.
My sister's and brother's homes.
The Pyramids.
The Eiffel Towel.
The Great Wall of China.
Several mountain peaks.
Area businesses and friend's houses I always have trouble finding.
Colleges I've visited or attended.

I did have some oddities marked, like corn mazes and such, but they're gone.

Maryn, who doesn't miss 'em all that much

Bmwhtly
06-26-2009, 05:50 PM
Can you have a look and tell me where I parked my car?

cray
06-26-2009, 05:56 PM
Can you have a look and tell me where I parked my car?

pssst. ben, you don't drive.

Kaiser-Kun
06-26-2009, 06:01 PM
Umm, it seems that last night I didn't arrived home. I woke up naked and armed only with my laptop. I'm sitting in a road... looks like it's made of asphalt.. this is a little embarassing to ask, but could you look for me and tell me where I am? I'll raise my hand so you can see me.

Bmwhtly
06-26-2009, 06:02 PM
pssst. ben, you don't drive.
Up You're's (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142017)

cray
06-26-2009, 06:11 PM
Up You're's (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142017)

good lord, how did i miss that thread?

congrats, then.

Bmwhtly
06-26-2009, 06:12 PM
congrats, then.Don't bother, I wrote it off three weeks after I got it.
A signpost jumped into the road.

jst5150
06-26-2009, 06:14 PM
4844′32.5″N 4432′13″E

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Motherland_Calls

Bmwhtly
06-26-2009, 06:24 PM
On the subject of stupid things to do on the road; if you'd like to see the most idiotic junction in the world have a look at "The Magic Roundabout, Swindon"

spamwarrior
06-26-2009, 07:09 PM
I never downloaded it, I've just used the online version. Is there some advantage to the downloaded version?

I hear Google Earth was getting updated photographs of Iran, where there's been a lot of people out lately.

And does it let you specify date? Washington DC had some big crowds back January 20th.

How about old houses where you used to live and grew up? What about your elementary and high schools?

I'll go check Iran out later when I have time. No it doesn't let you specify date. I've only lived in one house that I remember, the others were apartments, which locations I don't remember. I was homeschooled so no elementary and high schools. I did find my college =D

spamwarrior
06-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Umm, it seems that last night I didn't arrived home. I woke up naked and armed only with my laptop. I'm sitting in a road... looks like it's made of asphalt.. this is a little embarassing to ask, but could you look for me and tell me where I am? I'll raise my hand so you can see me.

What color is your skin? Also do you have any hair? Can you flash your laptop lights at me?