What my book reveals about me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reluctant Artist

Registered
Reaction score
I've now experienced enough rejection to be seriously thinking about self-publishing. But, oddly, now I'm beginning to feel shy about some of the contents of my manuscript, namely, the (non-graphic) sexual content. There's not a lot, and it's not the main focus at all, but it's there all the same. I worry that what I've written may negatively impact my "good girl" image. That I feel this way at all is a complete surprise to me, and I wonder, has anyone else felt concerned about what their book says about them?

Reaction score
I've now experienced enough rejection to be seriously thinking about self-publishing.

You mean you've written 1,534,295 novels, had them all rejected 3,239,234 times each, someone stole every copy you had backed up, burned your laptop and cut off your typing fingers?

...has anyone else felt concerned about what their book says about them?

Not concerned so much as curious about what people would think to look at me and know I write that sort of book.

2Wheels

Anachronista
Registered
Reaction score
There was a thread in the Novels section (I think) a while back on the subject of writing sexual content, specifically sex. Someone made what I thought was a good point, in that writing torture scenes or graphic murder scenes etc, doesn't seem to bother authors in the same way. Because? Because you don't think people are going to look at you wondering if that's how YOU (the author) torture or kill people on a routine basis, but they are going to wonder if that's what your sex/personal life is about ...

valeriec80

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, i get it.

I'm self-publishing a YA novel that talks about sex a lot, even though there isn't any on screen sex. I teach high school, and, while I'm not really worried about my students reading it (After all, I think they know more about sex than I do, sometimes :) ), I am worried about other teachers in the school reading it and thinking negative thoughts about me.

For this reason, even though I think some of my students would probably buy the book and that I could probably get a copy into my high school library, I'm not sure if I want to advertise the book at work.

Maybe I'm being silly.

As for the comment above about rejection with the crazy numbers--I'd like to point out that some people decide to self-publish simply to find a small number of readers. There are many reasons for rejection. Just because an agent or publisher doesn't think your book can pull in tens of thousands of sales doesn't necessarily mean there aren't 500 to 1000 people who might really like it. Should those people be denied the chance to read it? Should the author be denied a chance to find an audience?

Reluctant Artist

Registered
Reaction score
I suppose it's all just part of the learning process. Through writing my first book, I learned not to base characters on real, live people or real things that happened, and with this second book I've learned that it bothers me to think anyone is going to wonder about me as a result of something I wrote.
And people CAN tell things about you from your writing. Is the author intelligent? Thoughtful? Sensitive? Or are they warped??? Once I had somebody tell me when they read Willa Cather's books they could tell she was gay!

mercs

Registered
Reaction score
To the teaching lady above, go for it. you'd be denying yourself a chance of 100+ sales. a lot of colleagues would like to own the book, students probably would out of curiosity, and i'd be amazed if the school library doesn't get half a dozen copies...

as long as it's not depraved, embarrassing or illegal, i don't think there's room for complaint. if anything it's more likely to reflect better on the school for one of its own to be in print -plus think of the free usage of school grounds for promo nights etc.

valeriec80

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Mmm...I don't know if it reflects well on the school to have had a teacher self-publish.

Honestly, I really hate explaining to people that I self-published. Most people are supportive when I explain my reasoning for doing it, but it's hard for me to nail down all the reasons into a short and simple few sentences to explain it to people.

I don't want to lie by omission, however. Technically, since I own my own ISBNs, I did set up an imprint to publish my books under, and I could pretend that this entity was not me. However, that seems dishonest, and I don't feel ashamed of what I've done.

It's confusing for me, honestly, because I waver in my feelings about the whole thing. Occasionally, I am struck by panic, thinking, "Oh my God, I've self-published. What have I done?" Especially since I used to consider self-publishing about on par with like eating babies or something. :) On the other hand, I'm very proud of my book. I love the fact that I personally designed the cover and interior. And I'm proud of my marketing efforts thus far. Still, I'm shy about telling people, especially colleagues, that I'm self-published. I don't want to be, but I am.

christinalbarr

Registered
Reaction score
I get what you're saying, totally. The main character in my novel is mean, manipulative, vain, uses her looks as a weapon, is a vixen, judgmental, a whore, hates and mocks religion, and is a racist. Seriously, she's got to be the most hated character ever.

Me? I'm a Pentecostal preacher's daughter who travels and ministers myself, a gospel singer, and I'm black! When I send off samples of my work, I think "I hope they don't think I'm an evil person who hates black people!"

Now, I know for sure that when my book is published (staying confident!) that it will be called controversial and I'll have to defend what I wrote, especially to the religious community. I do welcome the controversy, because it will ultimately draw more people to my work. I do love to write, but I know I have a very commercial product that can bring me some big bucks.

I know what I wrote my book for and what's going to happen in the following series and the lessons that the characters learn. Everything I wrote has a point to it. Everyone grows and good is vindicated in the end. I think the evolution of the story is what's important.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is, don't write anything you're not going to be proud of and that you can't defend with your last dying breath. Yes, my MC is evil and worst of all, it's in her perspective. However, I don't have any curse words in there. I don't have any sex scenes and anything really damaging other than the judgmental and harsh thoughts of the MC.

I couldn't write a sex scene because first of all, I'm a virgin and I wouldn't know what the heck I'd be writing about. But even when I'm married and I do have sex, I probably won't write about it, because I personally want a parent to feel confident that they can buy my book for their child without having to proof read it first.

If it's not a focus in your book and if YOU feel uncomfortable with it, then take it out. There are other ways to convey passion that are more effective than sex. Implying that sex happened is fine enough, in my opinion, especially if you kind of lead up to it anyway. How the characters evolve to that point are what's important.

If you're worried about people who might look up to you looking down on you, then maybe you shouldn't do it for their sake. But I don't know your reasons for feeling really shaky on it. I personally wouldn't do it and it makes me uncomfortable reading about it. But do what you feel is right for your story and for your readers.

Nandi

Registered
Reaction score
Mmm...I don't know if it reflects well on the school to have had a teacher self-publish.

Honestly, I really hate explaining to people that I self-published. Most people are supportive when I explain my reasoning for doing it, but it's hard for me to nail down all the reasons into a short and simple few sentences to explain it to people.

I don't want to lie by omission, however. Technically, since I own my own ISBNs, I did set up an imprint to publish my books under, and I could pretend that this entity was not me. However, that seems dishonest, and I don't feel ashamed of what I've done.

It's confusing for me, honestly, because I waver in my feelings about the whole thing. Occasionally, I am struck by panic, thinking, "Oh my God, I've self-published. What have I done?" Especially since I used to consider self-publishing about on par with like eating babies or something. :) On the other hand, I'm very proud of my book. I love the fact that I personally designed the cover and interior. And I'm proud of my marketing efforts thus far. Still, I'm shy about telling people, especially colleagues, that I'm self-published. I don't want to be, but I am.

Valerie, I completely understand your feelings. I'm in the same situation, and it's why I will not be attempting to do readings or book signings, which I did when several of my shorter pieces were published in traditionally published anthologies.

My hunch is that many people--probably most people who are not in the field of writing, publishing, or book selling--do not even know or care whether a work is traditionally published or self published.

valeriec80

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Nandi--I think you are right. Most people that I've spoken to don't seem to care one way or another. I think that people are supportive of a do-it-yourself attitude, especially in America.

Reluctant Artist

Registered
Reaction score
I think for my book there may be good reasons to self-publish under a pseudonym. It would serve several purposes: 1. I can leave the book as is, without any possibility of squeamish feelings, 2. I can still tell my friends the book is mine - they will all still like me just fine, and 3. If there really IS any stigma to self-publishing (which I believe there is much less of than there was five years ago), it won't come back to haunt me unless the book becomes some huge success and I confess to being the author, in which case my sales will be my validation.

J. Hali

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sovereignkind.com
I read a lot of these messages and thought - WOW! all of you guys are so on track. I think anyone who writes has asked themselves all the things I read above. I know I did. I believe as a writer you have to tell the best story YOU can tell. There's always going to be someone who likes it and someone who doesn't. I remember thinking as long as I made one person say "ahh, I liked that" it was enough. Know what? It still is. It's just my opinion but - how you put your story out there is not so important as the fact that you "took the first step, jumped the first hurdle" and did it. Self-publish, ePublish, NY, whatever works for you is best for YOU. It's hard not to listen to the comments and opinions of others but bottom line is "how do you feel?"
And keep writing, let someone hear your voice. Someone will like it.

Kivandrohex

Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry it's not like they can read your mind, I've written a couple of stories starting with werewolves and they don't say I have deep dark thoughts, they only say I have potential. So you don't have to worry.

jfreedan

Registered
Reaction score
If you are worried of what people will think of you for what you've written, use a pseudonym.

Status
Not open for further replies.