PDA

View Full Version : should I give up?

Andromeda
06-25-2009, 10:46 PM
I've gotten my first rejection today, and even though I've researched my novel for eight years, I've been told that I don't have the credentials to write it? Should I not consider writing as a career and just do it as a hobby?

Calla Lily
06-25-2009, 10:47 PM
Is it nonfic? That's the only writing I know of where you need credentials/a platform.

And honestly, one R is nothing. I have hundreds. :) Sit back, have some chocolate, and Query and Conquer!

fairy86
06-25-2009, 10:49 PM
I've gotten my first rejection today, and even though I've researched my novel for eight years, I've been told that I don't have the credentials to write it? Should I not consider writing as a career and just do it as a hobby?

Is it fiction or nf?
Don't worry about 1 rejection. I have several. :)

stormie
06-25-2009, 10:49 PM
Give up from one rejection? Nope. Polish your work, keep on submitting. Every agent and editor has differing opinions, likes and dislikes. Give it time.

Andromeda
06-25-2009, 10:50 PM
Is it nonfic? That's the only writing I know of where you need credentials/a platform.

And honestly, one R is nothing. I have hundreds. :) Sit back, have some chocolate, and Query and Conquer!

it's fiction.

jennibly
06-25-2009, 10:52 PM
I got some rejection today too. It sucks but chin up! I'm having some pity pound cake. It's delicious. And definitely making me feel better. Would you like a slice? :)

Andromeda
06-25-2009, 10:52 PM
Give up from one rejection? Nope. Polish your work, keep on submitting. Every agent and editor has differing opinions, likes and dislikes. Give it time.

Thanks. I have asperger's, so I get discouraged VERY easily.

Calla Lily
06-25-2009, 10:53 PM
it's fiction.

The only "credentials" I had for all my books were: I like reading those genres, so I wrote one.

Okay, and research. A lot of research. And lots of rewrites and beta readers. :)

Andromeda
06-25-2009, 10:54 PM
I got some rejection today too. It sucks but chin up! I'm having some pity pound cake. It's delicious. And definitely making me feel better. Would you like a slice? :)

Yeah, I would :). It's just I spent eight years researching and writing this book and crafting a novel out of my research, so I was really hoping for someone to pick it up.

Andromeda
06-25-2009, 10:55 PM
The only "credentials" I had for all my books were: I like reading those genres, so I wrote one.

Okay, and research. A lot of research. And lots of rewrites and beta readers. :)

Don't kill me, but what's a beta reader?

Calla Lily
06-25-2009, 10:55 PM
Andromeda, one R is NOTHING.

File it and send out more queries.

A beta reader is another writer whose opinion you trust and who knows the genre. Depending on what kind of a read you're looking for, they can give you an overall " what works; what doesn't", a line crit, a copyedit, or just an opinion.

Kathleen42
06-25-2009, 11:05 PM
You spent eight years researching and writing are you really willing to throw all of that out after ONE rejection? Dry your eyes, duckie, and get back to work. If you're worried, post your query letter in Share your Work (though you'll need a tough skin).

As far as a career goes, unless you're independently wealthy or on some sort of assistance, you get or keep a day job.

Kathleen42
06-25-2009, 11:08 PM
Yeah, I would :). It's just I spent eight years researching and writing this book and crafting a novel out of my research, so I was really hoping for someone to pick it up.

And someone might. If you got accepted on your first query you'd be blessed by the planets and the stars. For most people, it just doesn't happen that way.

Have you read up on the industry and on agents/submitting? If you have (and you really should), you'll realize that most peopel have dozens of rejections. One author, I think it may have been FSF, papered his bathroom walls with rejection slips.

Cassiopeia
06-25-2009, 11:09 PM
You have to have credentials to write fiction? *looks around*

I'm in BIG trouble then.

Calla Lily
06-25-2009, 11:12 PM
The only "credential" I had was as follows:

I wrote a mystery with an ex-nun as the MC.

I'm an ex-nun.

HOWEVER--there's no reason on earth anyone can't also write an ex-nun character. All it takes is research. I think my ex-nun-ness got the attention of agents, but it's STORY that grabs 'em. If I wrote a sucky story, then my personal history counts for squat.

Kathleen42
06-25-2009, 11:14 PM
You have to have credentials to write fiction? *looks around*

I'm in BIG trouble then.

You're in big trouble? I'm writing urban fantasy. I don't fancy turning furry once a month.

Then again, maybe I could pass off my extensive Buffy quoting skills as creds.

spamwarrior
06-26-2009, 01:02 AM
It's your first rejection... don't give up =) Keep going! I've gotten a couple of little rejections in the past week. We'll pull through!

scarletpeaches
06-26-2009, 01:09 AM
You're in big trouble? I'm writing urban fantasy. I don't fancy turning furry once a month.

Then again, maybe I could pass off my extensive Buffy quoting skills as creds.

I'd love it if I was a bisexual shape-shifter. Sadly, I'm human. Oh well.

And one rejection has you considering quitting?

Try sixty. Quitting has never been an option for me.

Improving? Oh yes, all for that.

Andromeda
06-26-2009, 01:12 AM
I'd love it if I was a bisexual shape-shifter. Sadly, I'm human. Oh well.

And one rejection has you considering quitting?

Try sixty. Quitting has never been an option for me.

Improving? Oh yes, all for that.

well, like I said, I have asperger's, so I get discouraged easily. Paradoxically, I have a very upfront, overbearing personality.

scarletpeaches
06-26-2009, 01:13 AM
I'm upfront and overbearing too, but that's just cause I'm a thoroughly objectionable person. :D

Seriously, though? If you're overbearing, use that as a form of stubbornness.

Get riled up. Be determined to prove them wrong.

alias octavia
06-26-2009, 03:04 AM
The first one, I think, hurts the most. Don't give up on your goal and keep sending out queries. I have enough rejections to paper over a bathroom wall of a few bathrooms now. Getting a rejection means that you are now officially a real writer. Congratulations! There is the credential you were looking for ;)

Ghost Writer
06-26-2009, 03:38 AM
Dust yourself off and go back at it. 1 rejection isn't even worth stressing over. Hey! It's an accomplishment! Every writer gets them.

Don't read too much into it, either. Seriously. It wasn't for them and that's okay (just like every book you read isn't for you, either). Don't take it personally - it's not like that.

Some will hurt more than others. Had one this week. But, it wasn't for them. If I'd quit, I wouldn't have sent out two more queries and gotten hits off both of them. Sent another last night.

Like others have said, we've got hundreds of Rs if we bothered to count them up.

Laura Lond
06-26-2009, 06:49 AM
Definitely do not give up! For most of us, it takes many rejections before the Yes comes.

Believe me, I know all about knocking on what seems to be locked doors. It took a lot of knocking for me to get published. Then I moved to the States, and guess what? I found that I had to start anew here, all over again. It was disheartening, but I told myself, "I did it once, I will do it again."

You can do it too! Investing 8 years in your novel shows a lot of commitment. Keep going!

Sean D. Schaffer
06-26-2009, 06:55 AM

:)

This may sound strange to you, but Congratulations on your first Rejection! You've done something wonderful as a writer in that you've taken a huge step toward a solid writing career: you submitted your novel.

Don't be ashamed that you got a rejection. EVERY writer gets rejections. Even the big names get their books rejected on a regular basis. Publishing houses reject works not because their authors are bad writers, but because the books themselves just don't fit what they're looking for right now, for whatever reasons they might have.

Don't be offended, either. You'll find that rejections are a normal, everyday part of the writing business. There's nothing wrong with receiving a rejection letter. The very fact you sent your work out to a publisher is a heck of a lot more than the vast majority of those would-be writers out there who don't even finish their great works, let alone try to get them published.

So congratulations. You should be celebrating, not because your book has been rejected, but because you've taken a step that most would-be writers will never take.

Well done. :hooray: And Blessed Be.

sheadakota
06-26-2009, 04:56 PM
Rejections can be disheartening- but only if you let them- file it way, burn it, delete it- whatever, the point is- keep going, keep sending out those query letters- it only takes one YES-but in the process you're going to seee a lot of nos- I had 155 rejections in one form or another before getting that yes-

MaryMumsy
06-26-2009, 08:55 PM
Go down this page a few threads and read the thread started by Glamour77, 'when to quit'. Follow the links to the story about Christy Craig. She is published and successful and dyslexic. She had THREE THOUSAND rejections before her first acceptance.

Keep your chin up, keep polishing your manuscript, and keep querying.

MM

Branwyn
06-26-2009, 09:08 PM
Your first rejection? I'd like to be able to tell you they sting less as time goes on, but...
Somedays they do, somedays they're devastating. I've aquired an impressive bunch of rejections.
It's up to you whether you want to quit, but give yourself a few hundred more queries (hopefully you won't have to) before deciding. It's hard. I'd tell you to build a tough skin but my parents tried that line on me forever and it didn't work.

We all go through this, and AW is a great place to be for virtual hugs and reassurance.:Hug2:

TooJoyful00
07-13-2009, 05:23 AM
quote=Andromeda;3736599]I've gotten my first rejection today, and even though I've researched my novel for eight years, I've been told that I don't have the credentials to write it? Should I not consider writing as a career and just do it as a hobby?[/quote]

Andromeda,

If writing is your passion continue to move forward.
Consider adding some writing classes under your belt which will ehance your writing skills. Remember giving up is so easy to do...no one wants to put forward the effort to fight for their heart's desire. What is your desire? Whatever it may be....move forward and make it a reality.
You are in control......make it happen.

Best wishes

Gray Rose
07-14-2009, 12:25 AM
Andromeda, as others told you already, one rejection is nothing. Everybody gets them. Your first rejection makes you a real writer.

That said I wouldn't encourage you to keep querying if you are not sure that your writing and your query are up to speed. The SYW Query Letter Help forum is a great help in polishing your query. This will maximize your chances of requests.

Also, I would advise that you post an excerpt of your novel (first 1000 words or so) on SYW to see if your writing can be improved.

One rejection is meaningless, but making sure you're doing the best you can with your novel is very important.

Also, most writers are anxious about the submission process and don't take rejections well, and this has nothing to do with Aspergers. Rejections are downers, but they are something you must prepare to receive if you are to continue querying. They are a part of writerly life.

Best of luck to you!

scope
07-14-2009, 01:02 AM

Like you've told numerous times, forget about ONE rejection. If you sure that as stands your query is now terrific, I'd say you might want to reconsider that decision if you get, lets say 5-10 more form rejections, or rejections which critique the same general points each time. In all, even if you have that terrific query it's not unusual to get many more rejections -- like 50'ish.

One thing hasn't been discussed and it bothers me. Your work is a novel, yet this agent or editor said you don't have the credentials to write it. Either that's a crazy remark that you can ignore or it's a telling remark that has something (?) very specific to do with your work. Can you tell us what the agent/editor was talking about?