Suggest an E-Book for my husband?

SFLP

Just tell me to shut up.
Registered
Reaction score
My husband and I are both voracious readers. He wonders, I know, at my appetite for erotic romance.

So I want to give my husband an erotic e-book to read.

I told him this, and here is what he said. My stuff in this "interview" is in brackets, i.e. [stuff]:

"I've had sex. I've had good sex, I've had weird sex, I've had bad sex, I've had "up in a tree" sex. I'm more interested in plot and characters. When I hit sex scenes in books, I skip 'em.

"If the build-up is right [I was explaining the touch on the back of a hand on page 7, the stroke to a cheek on page 24, etc., building up to wild sex on page 50], then yeah, I'll read it, and I'll like it. But it really needs to be part of the plot, or at least building the character."

[(That's almost verbatim, by the way - great having an articulate husband. lol)]

"I like historical novels, but I've never read any erotic historical novels, so I'm not sure what to say. What would you call 'Aztec'? [I answered that that was definitely an historical novel. It was detailed, which he likes.]

"What was the question again?"

[LOL]

[Lots of conversation here that I can't relate.]

[What about fantasy? You hate fantasy, right?"]

"Not entirely 'Not'. Like Gainan. I LOVE his stuff. That's fantasy. But if you give me a country with a name like Q@)#(*$$ then no, I don't have that in me.

"Science fiction is great, though, depending on the plot.

"And humor. Humor is an important part of a lot of books that I read. It's like...I will read a sex scene, if it's funny. And face it, sex is funny - loud, gross, weird. [I hate 'Funny Sex' but that's just me." ]

[So you want a funny erotica book?]

"Not necessarily. You're the one asking the questions.

"I like an intelligent book, like Angela's Ashes. You hate first person. [I don't hate first person, I hate present tense.] Oh, yeah. Well, I don't mind that, as long as the story is good."

I read the whole Southern Vampire/Sookie Stackhouse series last week, and John is on it now. He admitted that he has read through the first three books and liked them, but as he put it: "OK, so she had sex with a vampire, and it was the best sex that ever was, but she was a virgin...what the hell does she know?"

Still, I guess that makes Vampire/Shapeshifter plots not off-limits, providing they are strong on plot, because he enjoyed the stories when all was said and done. I'm trying to think of what else I know he liked. He liked Janet Evanovich, and the "By the Numbers" series that she's done, and I've sucked him into some suspense series (Hiram somebody as a character? I forget what the name was.)

Anyway, looking for some books that have hot sex, where the sex is important to the plot, where the sex builds up (and isn't just one person jumping onto another, out of the blue) so that I can buy an erotica book that my husband will read, so that he knows what the hell I'm talking about.

Any suggestions?

J.

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
For traditional m/f erotica with a historical western setting, I would recommend Sarah McCarty. She's got the first two of her Hell's Eight series pub'd and the first one, Caine's Reckoning is hawt but deals with serious sexual issues (heroine has been abused before), so it's dealt with very realistically and builds at a good pace.

If he's interested in a little BDSM, there's a historical western short story by Victory Dahl called The Wicked West that's a good, easy read and intro to BDSM.

I'm by no means extensively read in the genre, but I would give these two to my husband if he were interested in trying erotica.

SFLP

Just tell me to shut up.
Registered
Reaction score
If he's interested in a little BDSM, there's a historical western short story by Victory Dahl called The Wicked West that's a good, easy read and intro to BDSM.

Hmm. I love BDSM stories, but it never occured to me to give HIM one. Makes me...curious.

Thanks for the suggestions, and I'll look into them my next buy. (Tomorrow is pay day, say yay, so tomorrow or Friday will be my next ebook buys.)

My husband is definitely curious. I started to back off, thinking I was making him uncomfortable, and he said "No, wait..." lol. Very cute.

J.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
I'm kind of curious whether he would prefer one with a male narrator or a female narrator - I find that makes a big difference in what the story feels like.

MargueriteMing

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, I don't read e-books, but I do read on line a lot. I came across a link to this the day before yesterday, it's the funniest thing I've read in quite some time:

http://www.talesofmu.com/

For dead tree stuff, you could try the Kusheil series by Jaqueline Carey, it's fantasy, with a serious SM theme:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0765342987/?tag=absolutewritedm-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0765345048/?tag=absolutewritedm-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0765347539/?tag=absolutewritedm-20

Second series:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/044650002X/?tag=absolutewritedm-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0446610143/?tag=absolutewritedm-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/044661016X/?tag=absolutewritedm-20

New series:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/044619803X/?tag=absolutewritedm-20

SFLP

Just tell me to shut up.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm kind of curious whether he would prefer one with a male narrator or a female narrator - I find that makes a big difference in what the story feels like.

Well, in non-erotic reads, he really mixes it up and is just as likely to read one as he is the other. Hard to say with erotic stuff. I read/write close-in multiple POV stuff, and he likes that OK, but I think when he thinks "sex scene" (like those he's read in non-erotic work) he's thinking of it from a female POV. Maybe I should try a male POV. I know he enjoyed the hell out of "Clearcut", which had quite a bit of sex (though not really what I would call erotica) and was from a male POV.

SFLP

Just tell me to shut up.
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, I don't read e-books, but I do read on line a lot. I came across a link to this the day before yesterday, it's the funniest thing I've read in quite some time:

http://www.talesofmu.com/

For dead tree stuff, you could try the Kusheil series by Jaqueline Carey, it's fantasy, with a serious SM theme:

I have tried him on Kushiel's Dart twice now - once, he got halfway through. (I don't know how he quits a book. If I start one, I have to finish it, even if I hate it. lol.) It wasn't the sex that made him quit, he just didn't feel sympathetic with Phaedre.

I'll check out the "Tales of MU" link, though, and see what he thinks.

J.

SFLP

Just tell me to shut up.
Registered
Reaction score
Why not just send him to a publisher website to read blurbs?

Because he doesn't have the knowledge of the genre that would enable him to make an intelligent decision, if that makes sense. Ellora's Cave alone has more than 2200 ebooks. He wouldn't know where to start. lol.

J.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Best place to start is with a keyword search, like for a specific historical period, or the science fiction category, or a specific type of erotic content. I've gotten good results searching for 'alien' or 'shifter'. Basically he would pick the book however he normally picks them, just making sure it is an erotic one.

SFLP

Just tell me to shut up.
Registered
Reaction score
This has been fun, and there have been some great suggestions. At this point, I'm going to try to find, I think, three books for him:

One where a man is pursuing a woman
One where a woman is pursuing a man
And one menage, if I can find one that I think has a plot he'd like.

Hopefully one of the first two will be from the male pov. Most menage stories I have (sorry, John, going for MMF menage - lol) are already from multiple POV, so that one would probably have both M/F POVs.

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be into the alpha male thing - he's an illustrator/sax player/organic gardener. lol. (A shame, since I *like* alpha male stories and I'm using up my next two weeks' allotments on him...but I guess I don't need to be greedy :p)

Anyway, I'll look and see if I can find something that fits the bill under Sci-fi or Historical on some of the larger erotic ebook sites. Might try to slide a mild BDSM in there, per San Remo's suggestion, though I'd have to get one from each side to find out what might tweak him.

This is fun, in a weird leading-someone-astray sort of way. lol.

Thanks!

J.

Edit: P.S. I'll post back with whatever I choose and his responses to them. If anyone has further suggestions, I'll take 'em! j.

Last edited:

AllieGirl

Sin is geographical
Registered
Reaction score
Lora Leigh has a couple of series with Navy SEALs as main characters. The stories are mainly told from the male POV. These are tough men with dangerous jobs. They're not funny, though. Some of these guys do get a little kinky, specfically there are a couple of doms, but that's about it.

As for intelligent, I think Megan Hart writes touching, real life, layered stories. They are heavily female POV.

My friend just suggested Devon Monk to me and I picked up a couple (Magic in the Blood and Magic to the Bone) but haven't read them yet.

I'm not sure how many of these are e-books.