Wait a second--US Soccer Team Beat WHO?

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
The US Soccer team beat SPAIN? IN the semis of the Confederation Cup?

TWO TO ZIP????

No way! How did the US manage to knock off the #1 ranked team internationally--and shut them out in the process? This is bizarre! It's also pretty cool. Spain's undefeated streak (35 wins, no losses since 2006) was snapped by an upstart 14th ranked US team in South Africa this afternoon. Now it's on to the finals and the winner of the South Africa/Brazil game tomorrow!

If I can't have college football, give me international soccer play any time. Welcome to the Miracle on Grass Part Deux!

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I've been following the cup, but not posted because I've found very few people in the US are interested in soccer, and very few outside the US are interested in US soccer.

But it's really incredible. The US got trounced by brazil and italy, 3-1 and 3-0 in their first two games. Admittedly they had to play a man short in each game due to some questionable red cards issued by the refs, but even so, I've never seen them play that poorly, and I've been following them a long time. They were dreadful in every aspect of the game.

The only way they could have advanced to the semis was if they beat Egypt 3-0 (Egypt had beaten Italy 1-0) and also if Italy, the reigning world champs and a notoriously strong defensive side, lost to Brazil 3-0. A 100-1 shot, charitably.

Well, that's exactly what happened.

Of course, they had no chance to then beat Spain, and certainly not 2-0. Spain, besides their unbeaten streak and well deserved #1 ranking, had yet to concede a goal in the tournament.

But they did. Spain outplayed them, to be sure (As it has every team in the last year and a half.) Spain is clearly the superior side, without question. But the US took their chances and converted, while Spain did not. Partly due to Tim Howard's outstanding goalkeeping, and partly due to some ferocious and tenacious team defending. It was a deserved win, not a lucky one.

Of course, there's no way they can defeat Brazil in the final. Is there?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score