• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

some one help me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

god0sgirl

Registered
Reaction score
okay, i'm seventeen i've written two novels and i have no idea what the heck i'm doing in the publishing circle. I've queried agents and publishers, and haven't heard back from half of them. I'm starting to despair. Any one have some good advice for a kid way out of her depth? I just want to get my book out there.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
First, godOsgirl, what do you write? A lot of people here are specific about the genre of book they can help you with. Next, you might consider posting a query you've written in the appropriate place in the "Share Your Work" thread and ask for input. Keep in mind that you will GET input, so only do this if you have a thick skin.

I'm a little concerned that you haven't heard back from half of the agents/publishers you've submitted to. That seems an unusually high percentage. Are you including an SASE to return it to you?

god0sgirl

Registered
Reaction score
thanks

yep, every single one. been doing it all by the book, if ya know what i mean. I bought writer's market and i've kinda let it be my guide. i write fantasy, alagorical fantasy, more specifically, but i'm not really looking to market it as alegorical. thanks for writing me back i really apreciate it, i'll get up some courgae and go post my query. thank you

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I've queried agents and publishers, and haven't heard back from half of them. I'm starting to despair.

godOsgirl, the time frame of your queries is another thing to consider when subbing to agents and publishers. I don't know how long ago your queries went out, but these corporates can take an extremely long time to respond, so keep that in mind.

god0sgirl

Registered
Reaction score
*nods in agreement*

katiemac said:
godOsgirl, the time frame of your queries is another thing to consider when subbing to agents and publishers. I don't know how long ago your queries went out, but these corporates can take an extremely long time to respond, so keep that in mind.

Yes i completely understand that, i keep a very detailed record of my submissions and the estimated response time that the publishers/agents list, but, well, it's gone far past that. thanks for answering, i appreicate the advice

CaitlinK18

"Sephiroth is my bishie!"
Registered
Reaction score
Hey there,

I write allegorical fantasy too! (Never thought I'd find myself saying that.) If you'd like to bounce ideas around and exchange submitting sob stories, PM me. I'm a young writer, too, and unpublished as far as novels go...I have some gaming and nonfiction stuff out there, though.

Good luck with your submission!

Cheers!

god0sgirl

Registered
Reaction score
hey, i like you already, *laughs* sure sounds great, feel free to email me sometime

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I don't have much experience, but from what I have seen no agents or publishers will take anyone under 18. Because then they have to get the parents involved and such so that might be holding you back. I started writing when I was twelve but did not finish my first novel until I was 21, I am now 22. I wish you luck in all your efforts and hope you find someone interested :)

Sara

Nicholas S.H.J.M Woodhouse

swooping after you
Registered
Reaction score
I went around to all sorts of publishers when I was 13, 14, 15, 16 - but all said the same thing. 'Just wait, come back in a few years.'
That might be because of them not accepting anyone under 18. Could be because someone else was writing Bond films at that time.....
Hang tight, gods girl.

god0sgirl

Registered
Reaction score
thanks icerose and nique Zoolio, i really appreciate the encouragment

black winged fighter

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, you're ahead of me! I'm 18, finished a WIP, but I'm still editing and just browsing for agents/publishers. Good luck!

Julie Anne

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.JulieAEason.com
Hi there,
Just wanted to say, I'm so impressed that you've accomplished so much at such a young age!

That said, if you still have the mss. out to agents and publishers. Forget about them and get to work on your next project! Keep sending them out. But once they're in the mail, they're on their own.

The career part is the writing, not the waiting. If you develop the discipline and work habits to write everyday, you'll be way ahead of the game. And when your books finally do hit the shelves, you won't have to start all over from scratch...you'll already have several more in production.

Besides, worrying will only give you wrinkles!

Good luck and congratulations!
Julie Anne

Status
Not open for further replies.