PDA

View Full Version : Before they were famous...

MelodyO
06-24-2009, 01:35 AM
Have you ever seen an unfamiliar actor or actress in a movie or on TV who made such an impact on you, you watched the credits afterward to find out their name? And then if they made it big, you remembered how you KNEW they were going to be famous? That's only happened to me three times.

1. In 1986 I watched a TV movie called Young Again, about a middle-aged guy who somehow goes back to being 17 again (yes, they've been using that premise forever). I was utterly mesmerized by the actor who played the young version of him. The actor: Keanu Reeves.

2. I couldn't keep my eyes off the young star of a movie I watched around ten years ago about a kid in a coal town who dreams of flying rockets. The movie: October Sky. The actor: Jake Gyllenhaal.

3. When I watched The Lords of Dogtown, Heath Ledger was sort of the big name in the movie, but it was the skateboarder, Jay, who made me think, "who the hell is that??" Who was it? Emile Hirsch. I guess technically Emile isn't super famous yet, but when he is...don't say I didn't warn you. :D

So has this ever happened to anybody else?

Sophia
06-24-2009, 01:48 AM
For me, it was not the movie itself but an interview on a Saturday morning children's TV show with the stars of The Hole. The focus was on Thora Birch, who was the main star, but I couldn't stop looking at one of the co-stars, Keira Knightley.

More recently, I noticed Gemma Arterton in the interviews for St. Trinian's a couple of years ago. I know she's not super famous yet, but I think it's only a matter of time! :)

aquacat
06-24-2009, 01:58 AM
Emile Hirsch actually got his start in a great movie called The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys. I remember thinking he was a good little actor when I saw the film, and now I think he's doing better than his co-star, Keiran Culkin.

Oh, and Tobey Maguire was on early episodes of Roseanne as one of Becky's friends.

ChunkyC
06-24-2009, 02:37 AM
Only once that I can recall. A young actor on the TV series St. Elsewhere made a big impression on me. He played a doctor and his name was Denzel Washington.

MelodyO
06-24-2009, 03:27 AM
For me, it was not the movie itself but an interview on a Saturday morning children's TV show with the stars of The Hole. The focus was on Thora Birch, who was the main star, but I couldn't stop looking at one of the co-stars, Keira Knightley.

Ha, I remember watching Bend it Like Beckham and thinking the same thing about Keira! Somebody should be paying us for this. :D

Emile Hirsch actually got his start in a great movie called The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys. I remember thinking he was a good little actor when I saw the film, and now I think he's doing better than his co-star, Keiran Culkin.

Oh, and Tobey Maguire was on early episodes of Roseanne as one of Becky's friends.

I didn't know Emile was in that movie. Now I must watch it. And as if Tobey was on Roseanne! I'm going to go see if some kind soul put that on YouTube.

Only once that I can recall. A young actor on the TV series St. Elsewhere made a big impression on me. He played a doctor and his name was Denzel Washington.

I totally forgot about that! I love watching old shows and movies and looking for famous faces in the background. :)

Wicked
06-24-2009, 03:34 AM
I was smitten with the character Jake from the movie Silverado. The actor: Kevin Costner.

Eh, I still like him best as Jake.

maestrowork
06-24-2009, 03:45 AM
Christian Bale in Empire of the Sun.

Catherine Zeta-Jones in The Phantom.

Julia Roberts in Steel Magnolia.

Leo DiCaprio in Who's Eating Gilbert Grapes.

Russell Crowe in LA Confidential.

Kevin Spacey in The Usual Suspect and Se7en.

ChunkyC
06-24-2009, 03:51 AM
I was smitten with the character Jake from the movie Silverado. The actor: Kevin Costner.

Eh, I still like him best as Jake.
He was fabulous in that role, the most animated I've ever seen him. Kinda like Brad Pitt in Thelma & Louise; young and full of vim and vigour. Too bad Costner lost that somewhere along the way to superstardom.

maestrowork
06-24-2009, 03:59 AM
Oh yeah, Brad Pitt in Thelma & Louise.

Courage Under Fire. -- I was blown away by the performance of a little know, emaciated actor named Matt Damon.

Paul Giamatti in American Splendor.

Wicked
06-24-2009, 04:00 AM
He was fabulous in that role, the most animated I've ever seen him. Kinda like Brad Pitt in Thelma & Louise; young and full of vim and vigour. Too bad Costner lost that somewhere along the way to superstardom.

Yep. Totally agree. :)

CaroGirl
06-24-2009, 04:17 AM
George Clooney in The Facts of Life.

Leonardo DiCaprio in Growing Pains.

Tom Hanks in Bosom Buddies.

I was sure every one of them would be stars. They just had that certain transcendant something.

DWSTXS
06-24-2009, 04:25 AM
Eddie in Frasier

sunday morning
06-24-2009, 04:53 AM
I've liked Leo DiCaprio since Growing Pains, too.

When The Sixth Sense came out, I didn't know who Toni Collette was. She'd been in a few things before, with a lead role in Muriel's Wedding, but at that point I hadn't seen that. I'm not sure, but I don't think it was big in the States then anyway, was it? as it's an Australian film. Anyhow, I guess she was a fairly big star there but not here by then (when SS was out, '99.) I was impressed with her & thought she was really good in it.

aquacat
06-24-2009, 05:27 AM
Russell Crowe in LA Confidential.

He was good in that, and that was definitely his American breakthrough. But I don't think he's ever topped his early Australian work, especially the movie Romper Stomper. When I saw that in college, I remember thinking he was so amazing and I couldn't wait to see what he'd do.

I can't say I've been as impressed by him since, unfortunately.

robeiae
06-24-2009, 06:00 AM
Megan Fox in Two and a Half Men?

maestrowork
06-24-2009, 06:11 AM
Philip Seymour Hoffman in Boogie Nights.

Amy Adams in Catch Me If You Can and Junebug.

childeroland
06-24-2009, 06:25 AM
Zoe Saldana in Center Stage and Get Over It.
Ditto on Amy Adams and Megan Fox.