Once Upon A Time In The West

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Once Upon A Time In The West is one of my all time favorite films! Few things are as good to watch as a Classic Western.

There's just something about Cowboys -n- Gunslingers that I can't seem to get enough of. :guns:

Unfortunately, it seems that western films aren't being made anymore. Although, Clint Eastwood kept it up as long as he could...I reckon :D

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you write westerns or if you ever have and if so, Why haven't they been produced into film yet dangit?!?

Gehanna

BradyH1861

Hold Fast.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
civilwaraddict.com
I have written a few western themed things from time to time. Nothing substantial though. I too mourn the loss of the western movie. Lonesome Dove is perhaps my favorite all time book, and the mini-series is one of my absolute favorites as well.

And in my opinion, the best lines ever uttered in any movie can be found in The Outlaw Josey Wales. There are too many to list!

Brady H.

"You gonna pull them pistols or whistle Dixie?"

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
You know what, I change my mind. There are some things better than Classic Westerns and one of those things is finding people you can relate to.

Here is one of my favorite quotes from the movie Tombstone:

Wyatt(played by Kurt Russell): "Go ahead, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens."

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Eastwood sure does seem to 'get' the genre. Unforgiven is one of my favorites. Others I like that aren't too old are Silverado and Dances with Wolves. But recently? Costner's Open Range is probably the highest profile western in the past few years, but even though it was okay, it just wasn't up to the same standard we've been used to.

Then again, how could anyone top Blazing Saddles?

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Westerns? How about 'Wagons East'?

But on a serious note, I do like Westerns, too. Louis L'Amour is one of my favorite authors. Why? I'm not sure exactly. He's easy to read and the good guy always wins. I've read all his books more than once and I'd rather sell all my shoes than give up my L.L. paperback collection.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Louis L'Amour is great fun. I only read one of his, years ago, but I remember vividly a scene with a rider in the middle of nowhere during a drought, and by the end of the first paragraph of the scene, I was dying of thirst.

I only wish I could do that to a reader with the ease he seems to have at his fingertips. Yeah, we know, he probably slaved over those lines until he had 'em just the way he wanted 'em.
smile.gif

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
ChunkyC said:
Then again, how could anyone top Blazing Saddles?

"Well, since you are my guest and I am your host, what would you like to do?"

"Oh, I don't know...play chess...screw..."

"Well, let's play chess..."

Seriously, it's older, but it rules: The Wild Bunch

Rob :)

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to western movies I never have to spank my children. All I gotta do is squint my eyes at them from 20 paces and they know I mean business. lol

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LOL! Or whistle the theme from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

PS - Quigley - that one was pretty good, too.

Last edited:

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
EmoteSmack.gif
How could I forget one of the best dusters of all time? High Noon with Gary Cooper. Awesome flick.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I dunno, but I wouldn't doubt it for a minute.
smile.gif

This is one that used to get my blood racing when I was a kid:

"Return with us now to the thrilling days of yesteryear.... The Lone Ranger Rides Again!"

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Did anyone ever watch that TV show The Young Riders about The Pony Express? My family loved that show.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Saritams8!

You ever see The Quick and the Dead with Sharon Stone in it as a gun packin' woman on a mission from hell-o ?

:guns: - I love this little smiley.

Gehanna

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another one: Wyatt Earp, starring Kevin Costner. He's done a few westerns, that boy. Most of 'em pretty good too.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Gehanna said:
You ever see The Quick and the Dead with Sharon Stone in it as a gun packin' woman on a mission from hell-o ?
Gehanna- I've never seen that one. Now I'll have to rent it. Charlie, I love Wyatt Earp. There were some great ones that came out around that time. It was like a swarm of Westerns all at once.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On the funny side, how about Bob Hope as 'Painless' Peter Potter in The Paleface, with Jane Russell as Calamity Jane? It's been years, but my sides still hurt.

BradyH1861

Hold Fast.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
civilwaraddict.com
I too endorse The Quick and the Dead. It is a good movie.

Lonesome Dove is still my favorite.

Now did you know that there was a series based on Lonesome Dove which aired for two years? The first year it was called "Lonesome Dove: The Series" and the next season it was "Lonesome Dove: The Outlaw Years." It followed Newt after the mini-series ended. They were pretty good. I have both seasons on tape. They were never sold that way, I got them by taping each episode as it came on. TNT used to air them in the mornings a long time ago. Nobody currently shows them.

Brady H.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Funny westerns?

How about "Support Your Local Sheriff" and "Support Your Local Gunfighter" both with James Garner? Then, for kids, there's "The Apple Dumpling Gang" with Don Knotts and Tim Conway.

Rob :)

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For cross-genre stuff, I always enjoy Back to the Future III.

PS -- I don't think I've ever seen anything with James Garner that I didn't like.

Status
Not open for further replies.