PDA

View Full Version : Once Upon A Time In The West

Gehanna
06-21-2005, 10:18 PM
Once Upon A Time In The West is one of my all time favorite films! Few things are as good to watch as a Classic Western.

There's just something about Cowboys -n- Gunslingers that I can't seem to get enough of. :guns:

Unfortunately, it seems that western films aren't being made anymore. Although, Clint Eastwood kept it up as long as he could...I reckon :D

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you write westerns or if you ever have and if so, Why haven't they been produced into film yet dangit?!?

Gehanna

BradyH1861
06-21-2005, 11:58 PM
I have written a few western themed things from time to time. Nothing substantial though. I too mourn the loss of the western movie. Lonesome Dove is perhaps my favorite all time book, and the mini-series is one of my absolute favorites as well.

And in my opinion, the best lines ever uttered in any movie can be found in The Outlaw Josey Wales. There are too many to list!

Brady H.

"You gonna pull them pistols or whistle Dixie?"

Gehanna
06-22-2005, 12:27 AM
You know what, I change my mind. There are some things better than Classic Westerns and one of those things is finding people you can relate to.

Here is one of my favorite quotes from the movie Tombstone:

Wyatt(played by Kurt Russell): "Go ahead, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens."

BradyH1861
06-22-2005, 12:48 AM
I'm your huckleberry.

Brady H.

ChunkyC
06-22-2005, 12:48 AM
Eastwood sure does seem to 'get' the genre. Unforgiven is one of my favorites. Others I like that aren't too old are Silverado and Dances with Wolves. But recently? Costner's Open Range is probably the highest profile western in the past few years, but even though it was okay, it just wasn't up to the same standard we've been used to.

Then again, how could anyone top Blazing Saddles?

wardmclark
06-22-2005, 01:41 AM
Open Range was pretty good. But any modern Western will have to go a long way to beat True Grit.

Unique
06-22-2005, 01:44 AM
Westerns? How about 'Wagons East'?

But on a serious note, I do like Westerns, too. Louis L'Amour is one of my favorite authors. Why? I'm not sure exactly. He's easy to read and the good guy always wins. I've read all his books more than once and I'd rather sell all my shoes than give up my L.L. paperback collection.

ChunkyC
06-22-2005, 02:50 AM
Louis L'Amour is great fun. I only read one of his, years ago, but I remember vividly a scene with a rider in the middle of nowhere during a drought, and by the end of the first paragraph of the scene, I was dying of thirst.

I only wish I could do that to a reader with the ease he seems to have at his fingertips. Yeah, we know, he probably slaved over those lines until he had 'em just the way he wanted 'em. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

robeiae
06-22-2005, 03:30 AM
Then again, how could anyone top Blazing Saddles?

"Well, since you are my guest and I am your host, what would you like to do?"

"Oh, I don't know...play chess...screw..."

"Well, let's play chess..."

Seriously, it's older, but it rules: The Wild Bunch

Rob :)

Gehanna
06-22-2005, 03:30 AM
Thanks to western movies I never have to spank my children. All I gotta do is squint my eyes at them from 20 paces and they know I mean business. lol

samgail
06-22-2005, 03:32 AM
I love Quigley Down Under, Tom Selleck was born to play a cowboy.

ChunkyC
06-22-2005, 03:34 AM
LOL! Or whistle the theme from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

PS - Quigley - that one was pretty good, too.

ChunkyC
06-22-2005, 03:39 AM
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteSmack.gif How could I forget one of the best dusters of all time? High Noon with Gary Cooper. Awesome flick.

robeiae
06-22-2005, 03:45 AM
LOL! Or whistle the theme from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.
Isn't that an old Eddie Murphy routine involving Mom, the theme, and a shoe?

ChunkyC
06-22-2005, 08:40 PM
I dunno, but I wouldn't doubt it for a minute. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

This is one that used to get my blood racing when I was a kid:

"Return with us now to the thrilling days of yesteryear.... The Lone Ranger Rides Again!"

Sarita
06-22-2005, 09:31 PM
Did anyone ever watch that TV show The Young Riders about The Pony Express? My family loved that show.

Gehanna
06-22-2005, 11:27 PM
Hey Saritams8!

You ever see The Quick and the Dead with Sharon Stone in it as a gun packin' woman on a mission from hell-o ?

:guns: - I love this little smiley.

Gehanna

ChunkyC
06-23-2005, 12:35 AM
Another one: Wyatt Earp, starring Kevin Costner. He's done a few westerns, that boy. Most of 'em pretty good too.

Sarita
06-23-2005, 12:41 AM
You ever see The Quick and the Dead with Sharon Stone in it as a gun packin' woman on a mission from hell-o ?
Gehanna- I've never seen that one. Now I'll have to rent it. Charlie, I love Wyatt Earp. There were some great ones that came out around that time. It was like a swarm of Westerns all at once.

ChunkyC
06-23-2005, 12:56 AM
On the funny side, how about Bob Hope as 'Painless' Peter Potter in The Paleface, with Jane Russell as Calamity Jane? It's been years, but my sides still hurt.

BradyH1861
06-23-2005, 12:58 AM
I too endorse The Quick and the Dead. It is a good movie.

Lonesome Dove is still my favorite.

Now did you know that there was a series based on Lonesome Dove which aired for two years? The first year it was called "Lonesome Dove: The Series" and the next season it was "Lonesome Dove: The Outlaw Years." It followed Newt after the mini-series ended. They were pretty good. I have both seasons on tape. They were never sold that way, I got them by taping each episode as it came on. TNT used to air them in the mornings a long time ago. Nobody currently shows them.

Brady H.

robeiae
06-23-2005, 12:59 AM
Funny westerns?

How about "Support Your Local Sheriff" and "Support Your Local Gunfighter" both with James Garner? Then, for kids, there's "The Apple Dumpling Gang" with Don Knotts and Tim Conway.

ChunkyC
06-23-2005, 01:30 AM
For cross-genre stuff, I always enjoy Back to the Future III.

PS -- I don't think I've ever seen anything with James Garner that I didn't like.

SRHowen
06-23-2005, 01:36 AM
anyone watching the mini series Into the West? On TNT?

BradyH1861
06-23-2005, 01:53 AM
I am! I've enjoyed it so far. I also like Deadwood on HBO.

Brady H.

WVWriterGirl
06-23-2005, 02:05 AM
Into the West has been great so far! My favorite western, though, is McClintock! with John Wayne. Just enough humor to keep me interested, and enough "western" to make it exciting.

WVWG

Gehanna
06-23-2005, 04:40 AM
If I were Queen of the Universe I'd make it so that every man on the planet walked like John Wayne and the reasons for doing so would be optional from a drop down menu.

robeiae
06-23-2005, 04:44 AM
If I were Queen of the Universe I'd make it so that every man on the planet walked like John Wayne and the reasons for doing so would be optional from a drop down menu.
Some suggestions for that list of reasons:
1) rode a bicycle alot
2) injured in war
3) just tinkled down one leg

Gehanna
06-23-2005, 04:57 AM
LMAO! :ROFL:

BradyH1861
06-23-2005, 06:17 AM
My dad has a shrine to John Wayne. I'm not kidding, he really does. He has two John Wayne "action figures", John Wayne's autograph, pictures, misc. collectibles, and a roll of John Wayne Toilet Paper. (It's rough, it's tough, and it doesn't take crap off of anyone!)

I was always embarrased on those relatively few occasions when I actually had a girlfriend to bring home. He always made her look at his John Wayne shrine within two minutes of introducing himself.

No wonder I had such a miserable dating life!

But, then again, I am a John Wayne fan because of him.
Brady H.

brokenfingers
06-23-2005, 06:31 AM
Hmmmm..

Magnificent Seven

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

ChunkyC
06-23-2005, 07:45 PM
LOL Rob!

More reasons for The Walk

4) eatin' chili, then ridin' all day
5) put spurs on backwards
6) not a good idea to brace double-barrelled shotgun against groin

Gehanna
06-23-2005, 08:41 PM
I'm walking like that because my toe is still trying to heal but hold up a sec ye JW fans. We know that famous John Wayne walk and we can even imitate it BUT can we describe it?

I don't think I can. Can you?

Paint
06-23-2005, 09:46 PM
I just spent a full minute staring at brokenfinger's bathroom...John Wayne was a no excuses guy, like Clint Eastwood. I liked the way he rode his fake horse.

I liked Miss Kitty myself. She was cool, tough and feminine. How did she do that?? Was it the clothes and big hair?
Wondering,
Paint

robeiae
06-24-2005, 01:24 AM
We know that famous John Wayne walk and we can even imitate it BUT can we describe it?

I don't think I can. Can you?
Sure...John Wayne walks like Katherine Hepburn, but slower.

Paint
06-24-2005, 01:53 AM
:Clap: Rob!

PattiTheWicked
06-24-2005, 07:13 AM
I'm your huckleberry.

Oooh. Best role Val Kilmer ever got (well, except for Top Secret and Real Genius, but that's a whole 'nother story).

"I have not yet begun to defile myself."

PattiTheWicked
06-24-2005, 07:20 AM
Did anyone ever watch that TV show The Young Riders about The Pony Express? My family loved that show.

Loved that show. I had a huge crush on Josh Brolin. My ex husband could pass for his twin brother.

You know, a lot of people dismiss TQ&TD as a hokey, cheesey western wannabe, but it's really a tribute to the classic Spaghetti westerns. It's got all the garish special effects -- the zooming camera, the see-thru bullet hole in Gene Hackman's torso -- and it's got the same story. Bad guy runs a town. Good guy comes to town and takes on bad guy. Good triumphs over evil. Only difference is, Sharon Stone's good guy is way sexier than Clint Eastwood. The only part I couldn't figure was why she boinks Leonardo DiCaprio instead of Russell Crowe -- that one still baffles me.

But yeah, I love The Quick and The Dead. I even have a duster :)

robeiae
06-24-2005, 07:20 AM
(well, except for Top Secret and Real Genius, but that's a whole 'nother story)
"'Nick'...what does that mean?"
"Nothin'...my father thought of it while he was shaving."
or
"You've got me confused with someone else. I'm...Mel Torme."
(later)
"I mean, how do we know he isn't Mel Torme?"

PattiTheWicked
06-24-2005, 07:22 AM
"'Nick'...what does that mean?"
"Nothin'...my father thought of it while he was shaving."
or
"You've got me confused with someone else. I'm...Mel Torme."
(later)
"I mean, how do we know he isn't Mel Torme?"

"Why are you wearing those deeliebobber on your head?"
"If I wear them anywhere else, the chafe."

Wow. What a bizarre turn of thread drift THIS was.

BradyH1861
06-24-2005, 07:25 AM
"I have not yet begun to defile myself."

"There, now we can be friends again."

Brady H.

robeiae
06-24-2005, 07:30 AM
"Some ladies at the make-up counter fed me some soup. During the semi-annual arbor day sale, while I was working in pre-teen maternity, I wrote down a little song that had been creepin' and crawlin' in the back of my head. It went something like this:"

Are you lonesome tonight
Is your make-up a sight
Does it run down from the tears on your face...

Will you come back next year
Are your stockings not sheer
Do they run down the backs of your legs...

Is your heart filled with pain
Will you come back again
Shop at Macy's and love me tonight...

"Oh, Nick..."

robeiae
06-24-2005, 07:37 AM
"Do you want me to get out the LeRoy Neiman paintings?"
"No. We cannot risk violating the Geneva Convention."