PDA

View Full Version : Those Invisible Rep Points

EFCollins
06-23-2009, 07:48 PM
Okay, it's not a big deal or anything. But why are some reppies invisible? I like to thank those that rep me with a return rep or a little note via pm... but I get invisible ones. Is this because they don't comment? How can I thank the ones who've repped me if I don't know who they are?

(If this has been asked before. I'm sorry. I'm not the best at searches... not even google)

Clair Dickson
06-23-2009, 08:10 PM
Are you sure they're not "invisible" because you've gotten more than one point from a person? Some hot shots around here give 2 or more rep points because of their status, etc. So, there's one rep-comment, but you get extra points for it.

That's my guess.

MaryMumsy
06-23-2009, 08:37 PM
A rep from Mac is worth 10. :D Medi is worth 2. There are a number of others who are worth 2. Susie is (I think) 5. Us lowly peons are only worth 1 each. But that doesn't make them any less appreciated.

MM

Medievalist
06-23-2009, 08:40 PM
Okay, it's not a big deal or anything. But why are some reppies invisible? I like to thank those that rep me with a return rep or a little note via pm... but I get invisible ones. Is this because they don't comment? How can I thank the ones who've repped me if I don't know who they are?

(If this has been asked before. I'm sorry. I'm not the best at searches... not even google)

If a Mod or Admin reps you, you get more "points" per comment.

If a long term member reps you, you get more "points" per comment.

EFCollins
06-23-2009, 08:41 PM
That may be. I didn't know that. Thank you ladies. :)

Williebee
06-23-2009, 08:52 PM
And if Haggis or Robvowel rep you black helicopters show up over your house.

:)

CACTUSWENDY
06-23-2009, 08:55 PM
<<<<<<runs to look at these points you all are talking about.

What are points for? Do I get more lottery tickets for them? Win a T-shirt? Get free publication? (Inquiring minds want to know......)

EFCollins
06-23-2009, 08:58 PM
And if Haggis or Robvowel rep you black helicopters show up over your house.

:)

THAT's why those helicopters were here the other day! Darn you Puppy!! (My name for Haggis)

auntybug
06-23-2009, 10:14 PM
There is someone who can't see the smiliey's I send from one site & they end up as blank - that may be it.

Sometimes a large picture or .gif takes a while to finish loading or doesn't show up at all. I also get trigger happy and have accidentally sent a blank reppie....

Lots of things. Try from another computer & see if you can see them that way :D

Matera the Mad
06-24-2009, 05:51 AM
I am the proud owner of three or four blank reps (none of those are from the infamous aunty). I have all the different sizes too. Susie has a semi-automatic repping gun. I don't know where she finds the time to add all the comments.

EFCollins
06-24-2009, 06:03 AM
Those aren't really invisible, Mad One. They're typed with lemon juice. ;)

cooeedownunder
06-24-2009, 06:04 AM
If a Mod or Admin reps you, you get more "points" per comment.

If a long term member reps you, you get more "points" per comment.

I'm confused. How do you tell how many points you get?

Izz
06-24-2009, 06:32 AM
There is someone who can't see the smiliey's I send from one site & they end up as blank - that may be it. Be careful of auntybug's reps, EF. You may never be able to look at bananas the same way again...

Medievalist
06-24-2009, 07:13 AM
I'm confused. How do you tell how many points you get?

Well, you could ask someone to collaborate with you, and Rep them and ask them to tell you how their total changed . . .

Admins give 10.

Members give an extra point for every X days of membership, for every X posts, and for every X rep points they have.

But to tell you the truth -- that's all pretty meaningless, since on a whim, MacCannister will arbitrarily raise the number of base points all members give.

cooeedownunder
06-24-2009, 09:38 AM
lol

MacAllister
06-24-2009, 11:59 AM
I'm an incurable tinkerer. So was my dad. He once built a gas-powered fencewire-winder out of an old auger motor, a couple of tire rims, a handful of belts, pulleys, and an assortment of scrap metal, that mounted in the bed of the pickup truck .

It was a little like growing up as part of the cast of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, but without the singing and flying parts.

I fear it scarred me.

EFCollins
06-24-2009, 08:12 PM
Mac, my Dad was a tinkerer too. He loved to just build stuff. He was an electrician and a mechanic and could build a battery like nobody's business. :) I miss my Dad.

Anyway, I was just curious. I don't have empty slots with reps, but more points than comments. I'm guessing it's the extra points thing. I'm a curious little bugger. Thank you all for explaining... and for giving me a laugh too. :)

~Effie

Parametric
06-24-2009, 08:17 PM
I'm glad EFC started this thread, 'cause I've always been curious. Blank reps I understand, but invisible reps, they're confusticating.

MacAllister
06-24-2009, 08:21 PM
Right - go and look at your numbers now, though -- I'm pretty sure it's just a case of different members packing different wallops. :)

The numbers are really sort of a bug, not a feature, as far as I'm concerned. I've considered turning the "score" off, altogether, and just leaving the quick comment feature -- but the accumulating number has been part of AW since we moved from EZboard, so I fear an armed uprising from the AW populace, should I do so.

EFCollins
06-24-2009, 08:29 PM
Yup, that's what it be, Mac. I was at x30 something and after yours, it's x40 something. It's the member thing. Case closed by Mac the Detective. ;) Seriously, thanks. Like I said, not a big thing, but i can't help wanting to know why about almost everything.

Haggis
06-24-2009, 08:35 PM
*prepares to send Effie another black helicopter*

EFCollins
06-24-2009, 08:38 PM
Do I get to ride the helio chopper Puppadom? Do I, huh?

stormie
06-24-2009, 08:41 PM
Back in the olden days of AW (before Feb. '05), the more reps you had, the more little green boxes you got under your avatar. One green box=approx.10 reps, or something like that. I only had one little green box for a long time. :cry:

Marcus
06-25-2009, 12:15 AM
*prepares to send Effie another black helicopter*

Get toe Da ChaPa!;)

FOTSGreg
07-05-2009, 11:53 PM
So...what's the highest number that a member rep can achieve (or is it unlimited), and what do the reppie pts ultimately mean anyway (I mean, I know the idea of a positive reputation is a good thing, but there sould be some kinda' scale to give it some kind of meaning, right)?

stormie
07-06-2009, 12:19 AM
See post #23 That's where the idea of # of reps being good, came from.

rhymegirl
07-06-2009, 12:48 AM
Back in the olden days of AW (before Feb. '05), the more reps you had, the more little green boxes you got under your avatar. One green box=approx.10 reps, or something like that. I only had one little green box for a long time. :cry:

Oh poor stormie. Are you talking about the blobs?

I'll send some reps your way to make you feel better.

rhymegirl
07-06-2009, 01:06 AM
So...what's the highest number that a member rep can achieve (or is it unlimited), and what do the reppie pts ultimately mean anyway (I mean, I know the idea of a positive reputation is a good thing, but there sould be some kinda' scale to give it some kind of meaning, right)?

Is this what you're asking about?
I don't know what the highest number of rep points would be--probably unlimited. This is the scale that Jenna once posted:

What are the reputation levels?
User is infamous around these parts: -999999

User isn't playing nicely with others: -30

User has shown some questionable behavior: -10

User is an unknown quantity at this point: 0

User is on a distinguished road: 10

User is well-respected: 50

User has a spectacular aura: 80

User is a shiny, shiny jewel: 125

User is a glorious beacon of light: 175

User is a splendid one to behold: 250

User has earned our admiration: 300

User leaves trails of profuse coolness: 400

User should run for President: 500

User has a golden reputation: 600

User has a double-platinum reputation: 700

User is better than ice cream with hot fudge: 800

User is a candidate for sainthood: 900

User is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments: 1000

stormie
07-06-2009, 02:31 AM
Ah, good news! I'm now a member of the "User is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments." Yay! Thanks, Kathy for posting this. :)

ETA: For those who don't know, to see where you are in reps, hover your curser (cursor?) under your number of posts.

rhymegirl
07-08-2009, 03:22 AM
Ah, good news! I'm now a member of the "User is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments." Yay! Thanks, Kathy for posting this. :)

You're welcome.

swvaughn
07-08-2009, 06:29 AM
I liked being a shiny, shiny jewel. Also a glorious beacon of light.

I'm only halfway to running out of appropriate compliments. Another three years and I'll get there. :D

FOTSGreg
07-09-2009, 12:58 AM
Ah! I did not know about that feature. Thanks, stormie.

Bartholomew
07-09-2009, 03:11 AM
A rep from Mac is worth 10. :D Medi is worth 2. There are a number of others who are worth 2. Susie is (I think) 5. Us lowly peons are only worth 1 each. But that doesn't make them any less appreciated.

MM

Weird. I have a rep point from the Mac, and it's only worth one. o.O

Maybe it was a neg-rep. :(

Nivarion
07-09-2009, 10:41 AM
I've got 123, so i'm somewhere between a spectacualar aura and a shiny gem!

So I'm shiny all over. It seems the Twi girls like that. they do like that right? :D

Medievalist
07-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Weird. I have a rep point from the Mac, and it's only worth one. o.O

Maybe it was a neg-rep. :(

Bart--you can't tell how much it's "worth" unless you happen to have noticed the before-and-after total counts.

Inky
07-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Yeah, 'bout that...I'm anal enough to check those before & after totals.

This is the part where I realize I MIGHT have too much time on my hands :e2tongue:

Inky
07-09-2009, 03:09 PM

ETA: For those who don't know, to see where you are in reps, hover your curser (cursor?) under your number of posts.
Huh.
Mine says: Inky loves Orlando...and then it's followed with a: for a good time...

wait...

actually....

I think that was on the bathroom stall in the Cabaret...

my bad...

KTC
07-09-2009, 03:10 PM
I'm approaching 10,000 rep points. I think at that time I may just be in line to take over the universe.

I wonder if that default is set? I'd hate to have to ask the powers to be if it's time for me to take over the universe.

Inky
07-09-2009, 03:12 PM
I think you would look very pretty in jackboots...'specially the ones with lil' silver bells hanging from the buckles...why..we'll call you Twinkles...wait...some of us, after a few drinks, may slur that into Tinkles...and then it'll only make others look for a puddle in your wake...

KTC
07-09-2009, 03:14 PM
I think you would look very pretty in jackboots...'specially the ones with lil' silver bells hanging from the buckles...why..we'll call you Twinkles...wait...some of us, after a few drinks, may slur that into Tinkles...and then it'll only make others look for a puddle in your wake...

don't worry, after a few dwinks Tinkles will suit me just fine. and yes, the silver bells will do fine...all in a row and whatnot, of course.

Inky
07-09-2009, 03:31 PM
You may call me Mary-Mary...

And I will call you Jack Be Nimble....

KTC
07-09-2009, 03:32 PM
i can jump

Inky
07-09-2009, 03:33 PM
I just wanna show you my cockle-shells...

Matera the Mad
07-10-2009, 04:25 AM
I'm approaching 10,000 rep points. I think at that time I may just be in line to take over the universe.

I wonder if that default is set? I'd hate to have to ask the powers to be if it's time for me to take over the universe.

I think what happens is your repometer gets reset and you become a lowly slug again. :tongue

misselainie
08-01-2009, 11:39 PM
Everybody on here knows more than I do! How do I know if I have any "rep points?" I tried hovering my cursor just below my number of posts and I get nothing. I can see other people's levels, but not mine. How do I know if I've ever gotten comments? There's a whole nother world to AW that I don't seem to know about!

Inky
08-01-2009, 11:47 PM
Everybody on here knows more than I do! How do I know if I have any "rep points?" I tried hovering my cursor just below my number of posts and I get nothing. I can see other people's levels, but not mine. How do I know if I've ever gotten comments? There's a whole nother world to AW that I don't seem to know about!
Top of this thread, see the blue line?
Left side, it says: UserCP
Click on that.
New page appears.
Scroll down past threads you've participated in...now you should begin to see 'reppies, rep points, rep comments' as they're referred to 'round these parts...and some people will even insert funny animations...'cept Haggis and RT..THEY'RE usually inserting...er..well...funny is a loose term...

Hope this helps.

misselainie
08-01-2009, 11:51 PM
Thanks! I feel like I just got the secret decoder ring out of the CrackerJack box. That's just plain cool.

Inky
08-01-2009, 11:53 PM
Well then, start zappin'!
So, have you received reppies?

Inky
08-01-2009, 11:54 PM
...Cracker Jacks....mmm...THERE'S something I haven't had in the decade I've been serving over here...and Moon Pies...gah, can't wait to get my hands on Moon Pies...the hips, they aren't so excited..the taste buds..ooooh...they're twizzling with anticipation--hush, Cray.

misselainie
08-02-2009, 02:21 AM
I have ELEVEN points! I am on my way to greatness. I even had a comment, and it was a nice one.

I love this forum. I've been out of work since March, and writing is a solitary vice on top of that, so some days this is my only link to the rest of the planet.

Medievalist
08-02-2009, 03:31 AM

Welsome to AW, and you really need to read The Newbies Guide. (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66315)

misselainie
08-02-2009, 04:56 AM
Thanks, Medievalist. I did read the Newbie Guide back in April when I first found this site, but I forgot that piece of info. I've got it now.

Inky
08-02-2009, 11:33 AM
I have ELEVEN points! I am on my way to greatness. I even had a comment, and it was a nice one.

I love this forum. I've been out of work since March, and writing is a solitary vice on top of that, so some days this is my only link to the rest of the planet.

This place has been my salvation, being stationed in Turkey and the physical issues I dealt with for nearly two years--AND writing, yeah, a VERY solitude life...these loons here, well...if they're not giving writing advice, they're making me laugh until I ache...

So, welcome; however, be careful: AW is VERY addicting!!!!

misselainie
08-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Hi Inky;

I saw on your profile that you've been overseas for almost ten years, but then I also saw that you joined AW in 2005 and I figured that if you wrote the profile in 2005 you must be home by now. But you're still there? With NO Cracker Jacks? Want me to send you some? 'Cause I'll do it. How hard could it be to get Cracker Jacks to Turkey?

You know what else I like about this forum? The more I post, the more replies I get to those posts, so when I check my e-mail for query replies and there aren't any ('cause they take SO damn long), at least there's something exciting in my in-box. I wonder if that's just me.

Inky
08-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Hi Inky;

I saw on your profile that you've been overseas for almost ten years, but then I also saw that you joined AW in 2005 and I figured that if you wrote the profile in 2005 you must be home by now. But you're still there? With NO Cracker Jacks? Want me to send you some? 'Cause I'll do it. How hard could it be to get Cracker Jacks to Turkey?

You know what else I like about this forum? The more I post, the more replies I get to those posts, so when I check my e-mail for query replies and there aren't any ('cause they take SO damn long), at least there's something exciting in my in-box. I wonder if that's just me.
I was in Germany for nearly seven years, and then Turkey--which is coming to an end--thank Zeus!
Yup, joined in 2005 when I was looking up info regarding a few agents I'd been querying.
Thanks for your offer of Cracker Jacks. That would have been fabulous!!!! But I'll be 'home' week after next where I plan on introducing my daughters to their first experience of THE MALL.
Yeah...THERE'S an expensive venture 'bout to take place. The one daughter is like me: gimme a t-shirt & pair of worn jeans, and I'm good. The other daughter is very girly...SHE'LL be the expensive one...
And shoes...good lord, we're all weak when it comes to shoes...but we did massive shoe-shopping in Germany this summer, so I THINK they're good...though they've already mentioned boots...not a good sign.

Oh, and, yeah, the more you participate here, the more feedback/interaction you'll receive.

What genre do you write?

k

misselainie
08-02-2009, 10:44 PM
Here's an idea: Don't even tell your daughters that there exists such a thing as a mall. Keep 'em in the dark as long as you can. My two nieces recently got their teenagery little butts kicked out of the mall and the entire family considers this to be a wonderful, wonderful thing. And here's something even scarier to consider: they're going to want to learn how to drive! On the streets!

I write mainstream fiction. As far as actually publishable stuff, I've only written eight short stories and one semi-literary novel. I posted one of the short stories here in SYW/Mainstream/Working on dialogue. It's pretty short, only about 1,100 words, so check it out if you have a minute. But nobody wants short stories (they're a tough sell, apparently, even in good economic times) so I'm querying the hell out of the novel. You're published, aren't you? Where's the jealosy icon? There's got to be one.

stormie
08-03-2009, 12:47 AM
It's so addicting I've been signed on here for three days straight.

cray
08-03-2009, 05:29 AM
This place has been my salvation, being stationed in Turkey and the physical issues I dealt with for nearly two years--AND writing, yeah, a VERY solitude life...these loons here, well...if they're not giving writing advice, they're making me laugh until I ache...

you're too modest, inky. you've saved a few aw-ers yourself. ;)

...and welcome miss elainie.

misselainie
08-03-2009, 06:46 AM
Cray - Thanks for the welcome.

Stormie - Three days straight, really? Looks like you finally logged off. Hope the withdrawals aren't too tough.

;)