PDA

View Full Version : When submitting...

Zipotes
06-23-2009, 05:30 PM
I've come across several publishers that do not give the editors names. They just state to send it to them and give format requirements only. I keep hearing it's a big no-no to not personally address queries and such. In these cases what do you do? Dear Editor or what? Thanks.

AdamH
06-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Follow format requirements as they tell you.

It's always best to address the editor of the publication even if it takes a little digging. If it's not on their website hidden under a "contact us" page, check Writer's Market. Most times, they have the editor's name listed right there. If it's not there, try contacting them with a simple inquiry on who you should address queries to. There's usually no issues with you being thorough and curious.

If all else fails, you could get away with "Dear Editor"...but I wouldn't do that without at least trying to contact them directly first.

Izz
06-24-2009, 12:47 AM
I usually go with Dear Editor(s) if i can't find a name, or if i find several and am not sure exactly who will be reading my work.

Are you talking magazines, or publishing houses? A lot of magazines might have several fiction editors, so often it's easier to use the Dear Editor(s) approach. I know mags like Strange Horizons prefer that, in fact.

The Rav
06-24-2009, 01:22 AM
I've never sent anything to a publishing house, but when I send short stories to magazines, I just say: Dear (magazine's name). I've never had any problems with that.