To Get a Reputation as a Comic

Nicholas S.H.J.M Woodhouse

swooping after you
Registered
Reaction score
My comedy company (well, I say company - in truth it is the three of us, so more of a crowd really) went to the Fringe Festival to have a good time, spread ourselves about, but most importantly to try to build a reputation as new and fresh and other such sexually magnetic terms.

We wrote a play, 'Hitler on Trial', which recieved some great reviews from other comics. We were excited. 20 years old and doing the Fringe!

Then, we find out that out venue is being run by the Church of Scotland. Thats fine, I love the idea of performing in the church - a beautiful building, a venue fit for the gods.

Someone blows a whistle. Another comic? Who knows. Then the Church request a copy of our script. They demand a re-write. We were not even allowed to use the word 'bum' in the play!

We told them that we couldn't rewrite, and we were coming up and by the gods we would like to perform. They banned us.

We left with no premiere. No spreading. But one hell of a reputation. The first show to be banned by the Church of Scotland at the Fringe!

We'll be back!

black winged fighter

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
You know, a banning may be a publicity blessing in disguise...If you really want to get some publicity going, get this story to a local newspaper.
But the title 'Hitler on Trial' sounds fantastic...wish I could see it. (Can't - stuck in TX, USA, burdened with a British sense of humour...*grins*)

Nicholas S.H.J.M Woodhouse

swooping after you
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for replying! Yes, the banning has certainly helped us. The strange thing is - that the play really isn't controversial, I think there was a power struggle in the venue at the time and we became one of the battle grounds. Now we have to make it more controversial, just to live up to the reputation! Strange world...
I know of a media group (creative name group) that live in Texas - they are lovely people, with a great sense of humour. One day, you'll be able to see Hitler On Trial - fingers crossed.

I'll fish out a synopsis for it and put it up some day.

Nique