PDA

View Full Version : Clash of the Titans (2010): Stills that reveal nothing!

MattW
06-23-2009, 03:08 AM
All two of them!

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm394102784/tt0800320

Like clockwork, looks a little like 2010's summer release of an ancient epic.

Apparently the plot is very different from the original.

Is a remake in order, or are they just banking on the name recognition from the cult classic?

No kraken? No mechanical owl? Waste!

dgiharris
06-23-2009, 03:14 AM
What I hope, NO PRAY, that they will not do is thrust modern day characters back in time to the era of the ancient greeks.

I believe that something like this is best served by Shakespearian acting. The last thing I want is a bunch of Kevin Coster like actors running around with North East US accents pretending to be Greeks.

Something like the original DUNE (minus the horrid special fx :) ) would be perfect IMHO, or kidnap the cast of HBO's ROME series.

Basically, I don't want to see a bunch of teeny boopers or 'hip' modern actors impersonating greek legends

*sigh*

Just had another panic attack. Can we start the petition now for a decent script? I fear the hollywood execs will just think "Hey, don't worry about decent writing, just use cool special effects and get the Michael Bay guy..."

If ever there were a movie that could be destroyed by the typical hollywood remake mentality, this is it.

BUt, if they put the WRITING ahead of the Special effects, this could be a mega mega hit!

Mel...

som1luvsmi
06-23-2009, 03:44 AM
I believe that something like this is best served by Shakespearian acting. The last thing I want is a bunch of Kevin Coster like actors running around with North East US accents pretending to be Greeks.

Wait. So it's okay for ancient Greeks to have British accents, but not American ones? ;)

Pamster
06-23-2009, 04:29 AM
Crap, this will probably flop. WHY are they remaking a really awesome cult classic like Clash of the Titans? This is the first I have heard of it. :p

dgiharris
06-23-2009, 04:39 AM
Wait. So it's okay for ancient Greeks to have British accents, but not American ones? ;)

Of course, everyone knows that when you translate any ancient language into an English movie that you absolutely must use English accents :)

basically, any proper accent will do :D

Last thing I want is for Zues and Perseus to sound like they're from the Bronx while Aphrodite sounds like a Valley Girl off the set of Buffy

Crap, this will probably flop. WHY are they remaking a really awesome cult classic like Clash of the Titans? This is the first I have heard of it. :p

I actually think this would be a decent remake. Been long enough, odds are that the vast majority of kids nowadays have never seen this classic. In fact, I haven't seen this since the 80s and watching it now would feel really dated.

My only problem is them f*cking it up with a dogshit script and just relying on special fx. If they were smart and got a good script, this could be a blockbuster.

Mel...

robeiae
06-23-2009, 05:32 AM
Stallone is slated to play Zeus.

maestrowork
06-23-2009, 07:36 AM
I think Sam Worthington would make a good Perseus. Who is going to be Medusa? I hope their hired Cher.

kristin724
06-23-2009, 10:21 AM
I'm just hearing about this now, and geez, this is on the tale of the Percy Jackson films-a series that puts the Greek Gods in modern day attire. Alrighty then, another remake we don't need. Stop with all the remakes! There was one time a remake was superior to the original, and that's the 1956 Ten Commandments over the 1923 silent version! ;0)

ETA-I just looked at he imbd page and saw a few classic actors I like, but Good Lord are those pictures fake? Are they from a video game? Why is it only 300 could make the all blue screen idea work?

dgiharris
06-23-2009, 11:06 AM
I think Sam Worthington would make a good Perseus. Who is going to be Medusa? I hope their hired Cher.

Better be careful. Cher has a loyal fanatical fanbase that will hunt you down and.... Opps, i've said too much. Just , just be careful when mentioning Cher.

Mel...

MattW
06-23-2009, 05:09 PM
Of course, everyone knows that when you translate any ancient language into an English movie that you absolutely must use English accents :)

basically, any proper accent will do :DLike the producers of Rome used the variety in English accents to depict the different social strata in ancient Rome.

I knew they weren't speaking Latin, but it sure felt more immersive than Kevin Costner as Robin Hood, or Tom Cruise trying to portray a German officer in Valkyrie.

My only problem is them f*cking it up with a dogshit script and just relying on special fx. If they were smart and got a good script, this could be a blockbuster.

Mel...Hollywood knows that discerning viewers would want both FX and story, but FX are easier to get right (though more expensive) and a majority of viewers would be content with explosions in THX surround than a nuanced plot (or one that even made sense).

dgiharris
06-23-2009, 08:23 PM
Hollywood knows that discerning viewers would want both FX and story, but FX are easier to get right (though more expensive) and a majority of viewers would be content with explosions in THX surround than a nuanced plot (or one that even made sense).

You are right, but it just pisses me off and makes not sense. I mean, if you're gonna spend $100M to make a movie why not spend $101M to make it a blockbuster.

IMHO, an extra $1M is all it would take to guarantee a great script. Compared to the cost of special fx, the cost of the actual writing is peanuts. It blows my mind that in this day and age, with all the great writers out there, that Hollywood stills clings to dogshit scripts out of laziness and/or ego.

IMHO, special effects only give you a good trailer and opening weekend, but it is word of mouth that gives you a blockbuster and repeat viewings.

Mel...

maestrowork
06-23-2009, 08:58 PM
IMHO, an extra $1M is all it would take to guarantee a great script. Compared to the cost of special fx, the cost of the actual writing is peanuts. It blows my mind that in this day and age, with all the great writers out there, that Hollywood stills clings to dogshit scripts out of laziness and/or ego.

I think the problem with the writing isn't really because they couldn't pay or there are no good writers in Hollywood. Last I checked, top-ranked writers get paid a LOT for their scripts and options. The problem is that moviemaking is such a huge endeavor with so many people involved (unlike, say, publishing a novel). By the time the script went to production, it has probably gone through 1002 rewrites and passed among the hands of 273 people including the producer's dog, and everyone has an ego THIS big... and not only that... the post-production and editors continue to change the movie to what it finally becomes. What we see on the screen is probably so different from the script that was originally written and sold.

dgiharris
06-23-2009, 09:32 PM
IBy the time the script went to production, it has probably gone through 1002 rewrites and passed among the hands of 273 people including the producer's dog, and everyone has an ego THIS big...

Very good point.

Question.

How does Pixar do it?

Similarly, what about a lot of great movies: Shawshank Redemption, Crash, etc.

Basically, do really great movies somehow get lucky with 101 chefs in the kitchen, or do really great movies somehow avoid the typical chain and only have one or two writers.

Mel...

maestrowork
06-23-2009, 09:38 PM
Pixar does it in house with their own staff writers. Their executives and directors are all artists and writers first: Brad Bird, Andrew Stanton, John Lasseter, etc. Therefore, they all know a great movie starts with the writing. They also go through extensive storyboarding and rewriting as a TEAM within the company. I'd say if a Pixar movie takes about four years to make, at least two years or more would be spent on the story development.

Most movies simply aren't made that way. The writing is not an integral part of the process -- it's all front-loaded, then pieced together. In my experience, most "great movies" with great writing seems to leave the script control to the writers, especially ones that are penned by the hot writers such as Charlie Kaufman. Writing by committee only works if you're a company like Pixar.

(BTW, "Crash" and "great movie" don't belong in the same sentence, IMHO)

Celia Cyanide
06-23-2009, 09:43 PM
Apparently the plot is very different from the original.

Is a remake in order, or are they just banking on the name recognition from the cult classic?

No kraken? No mechanical owl? Waste!

This is what it says:

A remake of the 1981 film version of the myth of Perseus and his quest to battle both Medusa and the Kraken monster in order to save the Princess Andromeda.

This is what the plot for the original says:

A film adaption of the myth of Perseus and his quest to battle both Medusa and the Kraken monster to save the Princess Andromeda.

So where did you get the impression that the plot was very different, to the point that it might not be a remake, or and that there was no Kraken?

maestrowork
06-23-2009, 09:51 PM
If it's based on the Greek mythologies, then I'm not sure how different it could be. Perhaps the sequences of events, character interactions, etc. would be different, but certainly, we can't change the basic story about Perseus, Medusa, etc.

jst5150
06-23-2009, 10:01 PM
Well, I'm guessing Ursula Andress won't make a cameo. Combine the "no clanking mechanical owl" with no "Wait, there's Burgess Meredith!" appearance and top it off with apparently no Poseidon staring blankly into the sea as the Kraken is released, and this feels [sniff] hollow. And TELL me they won't CG olivier in like that dumped Brando into Superman Returns (although the "How'd they do that?" of that particular CG is very cool).

This "reimagining" of movies thing is saving the studios tons of money, I'm sure. ;)

maestrowork
06-23-2009, 11:11 PM
This is the first major Greek mythology movie in the CGI era, though. And it's been 28 years since the last one (wow, really? Is Harry Hamlin this old now?), so I think it's about time.

They still will never top Ray Harryhausen. No way, no how.

Calla Lily
06-23-2009, 11:18 PM
There was a (dreadful) made-for-TV remake of Jason and the Argonauts a few years back. It made me yank out an old VHS tape to watch the Harryhausen version again. The man is a genius.

jodiodi
06-24-2009, 07:00 PM
The part of Jason and the Argonauts I remember from being a kid was the big statue. That whole valley where the Titan statues were found just gave me the creeps. I knew trouble was brewing.

maestrowork
06-24-2009, 10:36 PM
The part of Jason and the Argonauts I remember from being a kid was the big statue. That whole valley where the Titan statues were found just gave me the creeps. I knew trouble was brewing.

The skeleton army was and will always be the best.

Evaine
06-25-2009, 12:32 AM
I went to see the original movie at the cinema with a crowd of archaeologists. We heckled through most of it - it was awful! (Well, the costumes weren't bad....)
And what a waste of a decent cast (apart from Harry Hamlin - did he ever learn to act?).
And the absence of the direly awful mechanical owl would be a blessing.

Kurtz
06-28-2009, 05:00 PM
The level of infatuation I have with Sam Worthington after watching Terminator 4 (he stole the show from Bale there) is matched only by my pathetic crush on Matt Damon. So the thought of Sam Worthington as the founder of Western Civilisation (so important is the Perseus myth that the word person is derived from him) makes me go all giddy.

Wavy_Blue
11-11-2009, 09:51 AM
Behold the trailer cometh!

http://us.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi342754585/

The only thing that irks me a little is the rock music in the trailer...other than that this looks pretty cool!

jst5150
11-11-2009, 12:55 PM
So, it looks like 300 meets an MMA match. It looks visually like five other movies that preceded it (Troy, 300, Lord of the Rings, etc). Liam Neeson as Zeus; Ralph Fiennes as Hades.

But, I won't rule it out. ;)

maestrowork
11-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Oooh, you can't go wrong with giant scorpions and Medusa... I'm not crazy with the 300-style washed-out look, though. Why do they insist on not giving us vivid colors?

K. Taylor
11-12-2009, 04:48 AM
Trailer: http://wbads-20.vo.llnwd.net/e1/wbmovies/clash/cott/trl1/COTT_DomesticOnlineDebutTrailer_720.mov

MsGneiss
11-12-2009, 05:56 AM
Stallone is slated to play Zeus.

Zeus will be played by Qui-Gon Jinn, who will be played by Liam Neeson. It will be fabulous.

maestrowork
11-12-2009, 06:00 AM
Sam Worthington should have Harry Hamlin's flowing hair instead of that Terminator crewcut. At least they get the hair right for Liam Neeson's Zeus.

dgiharris
03-17-2010, 11:56 PM
Okay, T-minus two weeks and counting. This is probably the movie i'm looking forward to the most this year, I just hope it doesn't suck ala-Michael Bay.

Mel...

LOG
03-18-2010, 08:14 PM
I just hope it's better than the original.
It wasn't so bad, but at times it was just a pain to watch.
I was especially appalled at the opening scene. First thing we see is a woman and her child being tossed, alive, into a casket then out into the open sea. So, the scene where we roll credits, they decide to play triumphant, happy music, someone explain that to me, please.

thothguard51
03-18-2010, 08:57 PM
Watch the second trailer, there be Kaken's.

As to script, since they have already invested heavily in the trailers by this point, I don't see where it matters what we want...its already made. Will have to wait and see...

robeiae
04-06-2010, 09:48 PM
Saw it with the kids.

Eh. It was okay, but not well edited, nor particularly well directed. The first one was better, by far, even with the cgi over the claymation.

Jcomp
04-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Yeah, it was absolutely, positively mediocre. Nothing remarkably bad or good about it, though the near kiss in the bottom of Charon's ferry while crossing the River Styx atop a pile of dead people's coins would have been awesome. Or awkward. Or both... but at least it would have given the film something truly memorable.

AyJay
04-07-2010, 07:23 AM
Jcomp, I agree (as a non-heterosexual man even). The only compelling thing in the remake was the romantic storyline between Perseus and Io (sp?). Not that it was especially original, or even made sense (if Io was immortal, what were the stakes in her being "killed" by Hades?), but at least Perseus didn't fall dopey-eyed for Andromeda.

Yes, this was a disappointment. Hades looked cool, but the God vs. Satan vibe turned the movie into a familiar Christian tale vs. Greek mythology.

zahra
04-12-2010, 02:08 AM
It was dreadful.

Messed around with the story - what's with all this Oedipal obsession these days? They did the same 'daddy-issues' thing with the 'Wolfman' and wrecked that, too - the CGI looked like cartoons, Worthington looked and acted like a sulky footballer, and WHY oh WHY did they allow Zeus to come down to earth looking as about as impressive as an insurance salesman?

Also, who did they think the Titans were? According to their voiceover, all the Titans had been murdered by the Olympians. At least in the original, Medusa and the Kraken were supposed to be the Titans (if not in Greek mythology). There weren't any in this version.

Yet another re-make with a lot of CGI and no heart.

dgiharris
04-15-2010, 09:53 AM
hmmmm....

I haven't seen the original in a long time, but I seem to remember the original feeling more 'epic'.

Anyways, I felt the remake was okay. I wasn't overly impressed but at the same time I didn't think it sucked.

Interestly enough, the previews for the new Stallone movie looks awesome. Lots of star power in that one: Jet Lee, Jason Statum, even Arnold makes an appearance.

Mel...