PDA

View Full Version : Publishers Marketplace question

Catadmin
06-23-2009, 02:25 AM
It's a little odd to put this question here, but since I saw a comment from another thread (in the Background and Beware forum) regarding this subject...

Have you ever posted your manuscript on Publishers Marketplace? If so, what has been your experience with results?

I'm looking for all stories, good, bad and ugly.

Did it help you out at all?

Do you feel you should have gone the traditional agent query route more?

Did you try the traditional agent route and then go this route?

That's the sort of information I'm looking for. Any thoughts, advice, etc. is appreciated. Thanks,

Soccer Mom
06-23-2009, 02:53 AM
Since this isn't about a specific publisher or agent, I'm going to move this to the Writer's Roundtable for general discussion.

Catadmin
06-23-2009, 04:39 AM
Thanks. I wasn't sure where to put that.

ChaosTitan
06-23-2009, 04:53 AM
You can post your manuscript to Publisher's Marketplace? Really?

I admit, I've been subscribed to it for almost a year now, but never saw such a feature. Linky?

justinai
06-23-2009, 05:05 AM
You can post your manuscript to Publisher's Marketplace? Really?

I admit, I've been subscribed to it for almost a year now, but never saw such a feature. Linky?

Do you get the Publisher's Lunch? If you click the link to go to the website version of publisher's lunch you can see what is currently offered.

Or you can follow this one:

http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/rights/

I would be a little upset if I had an agent post something on here. Not sure how non fiction works, but isn't the point of getting an agent so they can shop the MS around? This seems a bit...tacky.

ChaosTitan
06-23-2009, 05:10 AM
I do, and I admit to only skimming the Rights page once. It just didn't occur to me that authors were putting up rights there for un-repped manuscripts.

Agents and editors already have enough work on their desks, so I'd be curious to know the ratio of postings to deals made from them.

Dear Author
08-25-2009, 05:14 AM
I'd like to revive this thread, as I was wondering the same thing - I wouldn't post a manuscript (don't think you can, actually), but what use, if any, is posting a sort of public query letter? Does anyone know if ANY agents or editors EVER scroll through on a hunt for interesting new projects? I have serious doubts that anyone in publishing has time for this, but...it's free if you're a subscriber, so I'm tempted.

As for it being tacky, well: this querying process has already stripped me of most of my ego! I'm willing to consider any/all ways to attract attention to my manuscript, so long as they're effective.