PDA

View Full Version : Hanna Montana, Suite Life of Zack and Cody. Good TV or crap?

underthecity
06-23-2009, 01:46 AM
I actually had written this in an Office Party thread, but cut it and moved it here for opinions.

Hanna Montana. It's a simple, uncomplicated sitcom geared for a preteem audience with few "grown-up" issues for her, or the audience, to deal with. I mean, chances are they'll never deal with her getting pregnant, smoking pot, or her father going bankrupt after pissing/gambling/drinking all her money away. It's a neat fantasy for its audience and is great escapism. Also, the B plots involving the supporting cast can get very entertaining.

I don't care one way or another about her music. It just sounds like teenybopper pop to me. I'll pay attention when she starts putting out experimental concept albums.

Compare HM with The Suite Life of Zack and Cody (I haven't seen Suite Life on Deck yet). Dumb show? On the surface, maybe. But it has an interesting premise: a single mom with twin sons makes a living as a lounge singer in a hotel, which provides the family with an apartment as long as she's contracted to perform there. So, Zack and Cody get into adventures around the hotel, basically. But there's some very funny stuff, there (although I've only caught a few episodes, and bits and pieces of others). And like HM, Suite Life is populated with a menagerie of supporting characters who all get their own B plots, and sometimes these are entertaining stories. Meanwhile, Zack and Cody usually do something dumb and in the end, learn a valuable lesson.
Pure escapism, and a good way to kill a half hour.

shakeysix
06-23-2009, 01:58 AM
i used to catch hell from my mom for watching gilligans island and f troop. junior year of high school i was bedfast with rheumatic fever. i read a lot but thank god for tv. then mom would get home and waltz into the room to switch off gilligan because she thought i should be watching programs with more social value, like bonanza and ben casey.

we only had the one tv and her word was law. she didn't want me ruining my mind with CRAP just because i was anchored in front of the tv all day. ever watch bonanza in reruns? stupid and tedious. ben casey didn't even make reruns because it's so mindlessly melodramatic and predictable. thurston howell, ginger, corporal agarn--those are names that survive to this day!

f-troop and gilligan couldn't have hurt me much. i grew up to be a teacher and when my students tell me about some looney thing they are watching--like zach and cody--i always make it a point to catch some of the show. i usually laugh my ass off. guess i'm a crapoholic--s6

Zoombie
06-23-2009, 02:01 AM
All I know is that my kids are not growing up watching whats on the tube.

They're growing up with Firefly, Babylon 5, and the good episodes from Star Trek.

underthecity
06-23-2009, 02:09 AM
They're growing up with Firefly, Babylon 5, and the good episodes from Star Trek.

My daughter will grow up watching classic Star Trek (and movies 1-6) while sitting on my lap.

som1luvsmi
06-23-2009, 02:20 AM
I don't mind Hannah Montana and Zack and Cody. They're usually good clean fun with a few things thrown in that an adult could laugh at.

But I've had to ban my kids from watching iCarly on Nickelodeon. The premise of the show is okay. A young teen lives with her twenty-something brother in Seattle where she and two of her friends host a wacky webshow for tweens. But the way they actually implement the idea is horrible. The kids on the show are completely disrespectful to adults.(The episode I saw before I banned it had a high school student bouncing a basketball off a freshman's forehead and then when his mom told the kid not to do that to her son, the kid bounced the ball off the mom's forehead too! No punishment was involved.) They advocate that it's perfectly fine to have a friend who's a bully and aggressive, violent, and demeaning towards others and that you should just accept her for the way she is. They also have some kind of running joke about hobos that I just don't understand. I had to explain to my kids that homelessness isn't funny.

So compared to that, I'll take the Disney Channel line-up anytime.

It just goes to show that you can't just let your kids watch a show that says it's TV Y-7.

ETA: My kids have already seen the entire season of Firefly! I really miss that show. :(

WendyNYC
06-23-2009, 02:22 AM
I don't think they are horrible, but I think lots of the themes are all about fashion, fitting in, and boys, which is fine for a certain age, but I don't love it so much for very young kids.

I kind of hate that the snotty rich girl on Suite Life has her own following. When she said about another girl in one episode, "Eewww, she's POOR," I told my daughter I wasn't thrilled about that show, and why. It's not banned, but she knows where I stand.

That said, we *rarely* watch TV. I just never put in on when they were little, and they don't ask for it.*

*This is not a judgment call on other people's choices.

Perks
06-23-2009, 02:47 AM
I don't know about Hannah Montana, but Zack and Cody is unrelenting crap that makes me want to harm big-eyed, fuzzy-eared puppies.

MissKris
06-23-2009, 06:30 AM
I kind of like Hannah Montana, but I will not watch Zach and Cody, for the exact reasons you don't like iCarly, sum1. I've seen scenes where the boys were making fun of their mom, treating her like the maid, being entirely too disrespectful with no repercussions at all. I'm not amused by their antics. Bratty behavior is too often rewarded on these shows. I'll pass.

childeroland
06-23-2009, 06:57 AM
Hannah Montana and iCarly are guilty pleasures for me. But even by tween show standards, Zack and Cody are unwatchable.

robeiae
06-23-2009, 06:58 AM
I don't know about Hannah Montana, but Zack and Cody is unrelenting crap that makes me want to harm big-eyed, fuzzy-eared puppies.
A-gree.

In contrast, Drake and Josh was the bomb. I'd have watched, kids or no kids.

Fox The Cave
06-23-2009, 10:00 AM
Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana makes me want to throw up.

Izz
06-23-2009, 10:44 AM
In contrast, Drake and Josh was the bomb. I'd have watched, kids or no kids.QFT--except that last movie they did, where Josh didn't look at all well and monotoned his way through all his lines.

Leah_Michelle
06-23-2009, 12:42 PM
All I know is that my kids are not growing up watching whats on the tube.

Yes! I will drill Firefly, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and Star Trek into my children. They have no say in the matter.

In contrast, Drake and Josh was the bomb. I'd have watched, kids or no kids.
Double yes! I used to watch that show all the time. Megan was such a bitch...

As for Hannah Montana, I cannot stand her. I think it's because whenever you mention her name to a tween, they scream and spontaneously combust.
Never seen Suite Life, never really wanted to, but those two are adorable. I remember them from Big Daddy.