Sample chapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

psushadow

I've received some interest from an online publisher who is requesting a sample chapter for a non-fiction book I've been interested in writing. I pitched an idea, but don't have a chapter written yet, just a rough outline for some chapters. Can anyone offer any guidance about how long (short) this sample chapter should be? In addition, anyone have experience with online publishers? Any warning signs to watch out for? Thanks for any info.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
There's no hard and fast rule on chapter length. It should be as long as it takes to properly develop that aspect of the book.

As to your publisher question, that's tough to say. By "online" do you mean a publisher of ebooks...or a publisher you found online? If you want solid information you'd be better off by making a post, naming the publisher you're considering, on our Bewares and Background Checks board. Folks there will offer what information they can.

Generally speaking, you want a publisher that pays an advance, royalties based on cover price, and who can get your books into bookstores - not just make them "available" via online venues.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.