quick question about pennies and curses

Foinah

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
seems that my crazy neighbors are trying their hand at something wacky.
My hubby has been finding pennies pressed into the walkway right in front of our gate -- placed right in the middle of the foot path.

He waited for a couple of weeks to tell me about it, but didn't touch them.

Anyone here familiar with this sort of thing? I know of chinese curses using coins, and potentially voodoo use as well.

Just curious if there is someone with a little more knowledge on this that I can check with. I removed the pennies with salt, angelica, red brick dust...and a special oil I made years ago for this sort of thing.

PM's would be appreciated.

AngelRoseDarke

Kind-hearted stranger
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angelrosedarke.110mb.com
The neighbors practicing Pagans of any path? I know that there is a belief that pennies (or anything else copper) will render a witch powerless. Is it possible that they are trying to contain your magick?

Saint Fool

Registered
Reaction score
Heads or tails? I've heard that heads means good luck. Tails, bad. Good or bad, the luck is taken from the loser (giver?) of the penny.

Foinah

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
It's just an odd, odd thing to find. I wish my darling hubby had told me sooner ;)
The neighbors are a varied group, but are not pagan in any form.
And the pennies were tails.
The copper weakening power, hmmm, that makes sense. One of the neighbors knows I am a witch because she asked me for help with a nasty situation she had. I did a binding and a purification, sorted her right as rain. We used to be friends until the other neighbor went crazy and started stalking me. It's all quite sad really.

I've had numerous problems with these folks -- one set I have a stalking order against because she suffers from BSC syndrome (that's bat sh*t crazy, BTW), and the other set I actually used to be friends with -- kind of. When the whole nasty court battle went down this neighbor chose to believe lies told by the nutter across the way, and I've been assaulted by both of them now. Tires slashed, vandalism, threats. And not because I'm a witch -- that never mattered because it wasn't public knowledge.

Dealing with all of this has been a strain on my whole grey area/ethics stand. I've been so tempted to just unleash that can of whoop ass and smite em, but that's a no-no. Bad Foinah, wicked Foinah! Naughty, naughty! le sigh.

About the pennies : It definitely has the hinkiness of someone trying bad mojo.

I basically sealed the coins in salt and angelica, encircled them with red brick dust, used a special oil I made, and then purified the ground with fire. I was just hoping someone here had experience with this particular kind of thing and would know if my removal was enough :)

I'm not too stressed about it all, just annoyed.

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Unless the dorks made sure they were minted pre-1982 (for american pennies), they're trying to curse you with zinc.

Foinah

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
Unless the dorks made sure they were minted pre-1982 (for american pennies), they're trying to curse you with zinc.

Eeek! haha.

For my WIP I'd researched the whole red brick dust thing, so maybe if it turns out this is some sort of attempt at a voodoo curse I may add it in to the novel as well.

I've never run in to this before. Who knows what goes through people's heads.

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My alter-ego actually sells pressed pennies for jewelry, and I can't say I've ever heard of them being bad luck, except for that bad penny that keeps turning up. With the Chinese curses, it has more to do with the number of coins, as far as I know, rather than the properties of the pennies themselves. I'd love to hear what you come up with.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
. . .And the pennies were tails.

Just my opinion here, but it looks to me like you are right--it's someone trying some bad juju.

I'll bet that because they know you are a witch, they decided to look something up online or they bought some book. They tried somehow to learn something "Witchy". And the best they came up with is pressing "tails" pennies into the ground.

A simple bad luck thing? Honestly, that's what it sounds like to me. It just smacks of someone trying to play at magic(k) and using their own ideas thrown into the pot as well. Not that it wouldn't work. With enough force of will, any one of us could achieve pretty much any goal with any work as long as we were confident in our ability.

It just sounds like a tea party to me. Playing at being a real witch. ;)

And I do believe that hinkiness is my new, most favoritest word. I plan to use it at least three times tomorrow, and once tonight to get into practice. :)

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
Pennies can't take away anyone's power. Power is mental training. If your neighbors think they are affecting any power you may have, they are wrong. Let them put as many pennies as they want on your sidewalk.

If you suspect them, then while they are watching, pick one up and say, "Oh, look! Another lucky penny! Since these have been showing up, I've been having the best luck." If they are doing this to take away your power, it'll ruin their day.

I'm out of the broom closet and once had a group of Christian teens say "Jesus bind you," to me. I replied, "Why thank you. Jesus bless you, too." They didn't look happy.

Personally, a couple of times a week, I'll drop a penny leaving it for someone to find, while saying a parking blessing. They get some luck from it and I get the best parking spots.

Last edited:

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I want to clarify something. I wasn't mocking the kids. I am totally serious. I have never heard anything like that before. :)

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Wow--that's a brand new one on me. Jesus bind you?

I've heard of it before. I've had it done to me before. By a Pastor who talked to me like I was a demon. :e2smack:

At the end of his trying to cast whatever demons out of me that he thought were possessing me, he backed away and said, "I can't deliver you right now. It's not your time." I guess he said that because he was on Cable Access Television and didn't want to look bad. But I never had a demon in me in the first place.

But yeah, I've heard of it, and I've had it done to me. It's a bit intimidating to have someone tell me "Jesus Bind You," or "I rebuke you in the name of Jesus."

More on the topic of the OP, I don't know very much about magick, per se, but I do know that there's an old superstition in my family that if you find a penny tails-up, it's bad luck for you. Somebody probably thinks they're going to make you have bad luck by putting pennies tails-up on your walkway because they have been taught that superstition. But what I've learned through what little experience I've had with magick, is that what StephanieFox says is right on the money (no pun intended). Your magick is based on your personal power, not someone else's. I found that out when my former GF, who I've told a lot of you about, took my medallion in her hand and wanted to feel the power in it. I'm usually afraid of people doing that, but I reminded myself of what Stephanie mentioned and basically smudged the medallion, then went on about my merry way. The medallion hasn't acted strangely at all, even before I smudged it. I only smudged it to calm my own senses of what kind of power the former GF might have had.

FWIW, the medallion I speak of is something I picked up recently from a Wiccan shop in the Hawthorne District. It's a five-pointed star with flames coming up off it, and a dragon's head in front of it with a blue jewel in the dragon's forehead. I've worn it religiously since I got it. :) But maybe that's information for another thread, eventually. :)

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard of it before. I've had it done to me before. By a Pastor who talked to me like I was a demon. :e2smack:

At the end of his trying to cast whatever demons out of me that he thought were possessing me, he backed away and said, "I can't deliver you right now. It's not your time." I guess he said that because he was on Cable Access Television and didn't want to look bad. But I never had a demon in me in the first place.

But yeah, I've heard of it, and I've had it done to me. It's a bit intimidating to have someone tell me "Jesus Bind You," or "I rebuke you in the name of Jesus."

:Wha: Good gravy. He couldn't deliver you to begin with--In the Christian faith, that's God's power--not a human's. Showboating always baffles me.

ChristineR

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the Universi
They aren't trying to bind you. They're trying to bind the demon (or Satan himself) who is supposedly in you.

It's kind of a obscure branch of fundamentalist Christian thinking, that witches or pagans are actually demon possessed. The idea is not even really Biblical. Demon possession in the Bible seems to be mostly a form of mental illness, not something that's associated with magical powers.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
I want to clarify something. The 'teens' weren't young teens, they were in college. They were part of a fundy Christian campus organization. I was in grad school and in my late 20s (or maybe 30 by then) so I thought of them as kids. I never took them seriously. People like them are more to pity than fear.

The stuff about found pennies face up or face down – I've read about that, too. I just figure a found penny is good luck either way, but then, I don't read reversals on tarot cards, either. I figure the card says what it says without the reversal complication.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was taught that if you find a penny (good luck) face down (bad luck), all you had to do is put it in your non-dominant side shoe for a while and that made it better luck.

It really doesn't work when you're wearing flip-flops, though. ;)

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
They aren't trying to bind you. They're trying to bind the demon (or Satan himself) who is supposedly in you.

It's kind of a obscure branch of fundamentalist Christian thinking, that witches or pagans are actually demon possessed. The idea is not even really Biblical. Demon possession in the Bible seems to be mostly a form of mental illness, not something that's associated with magical powers.

I wasn't a Pagan in those days. Back then I was a Christian. The pastor didn't know the Bible very well, as I could never find his "Bible Quotes," and he himself had trouble telling people where they were located. :rolleyes:

Oh, well. I know better now. Live and learn. :)

Blessed Be.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
A conversation you might want them to overhear

"Hey honey did you drop some change on the walk?"

"Oh that's just those churchies doing their weak attempt at magic to curse us."

"I guess it's good for us that they don't know it only works with gold coins."