Another revision question

justAnotherWriter

Registered
Reaction score
There is an agent that has the first 50 or so pages to two of my manuscripts. We'll call them book A and book B. As far as I know (and as of a two week old status update), she hasn't yet gotten around to reading them.

The first one, book A, was given to an editor at a major publishing house as a result of the NYC Pitch and Shop workshop. The editor got back to me, said he thought it had great potential and asked for revisions, which basically amount to an almost total rewrite of the first fifth of the book.

I love his ideas and I'm working on the rewrite. My question is, what should I do about the agent? I actually do not want to publish book A in its current form...it would be better for my career, and sales of that book, if it was published in the form suggested by the editor. And, she will probably not like it in its current form, because she probably has the same good instincts the editor has.

So...with that in mind...should I contact her to let her know the book is being considered by the editor, and that he has asked for revisions, and that she should maybe hold off on reading book A and instead read book B?

What do you guys think?

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
I would let the agent know you have editor interest in Book A and that editor has asked for an R&R. Then ask agent if she would care to see the revised version instead. The fact that you have editor interest should pique the agent's interest even more. Let agent know how long it will take you to revise. If really interested, agent may ask you to hold off submitting to editor until she read the revision.

justAnotherWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! That is what I wanted to do, but I also wanted to make sure I wasn't violationg some agent faux pas first.