Sell me on your home town/city/country

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
So, let's pretend I've got a million bucks and I want to move.

I have absolutely no idea where in the world I want to go.

Sell me on your town/city/country. What do you love about the place? What's unique to where you live? What don't you like?[

Or just tell me where you'd like to live and why.

ETA: the million dollars has nothing to do with my choice; I just like pretending I've got a million bucks.

Last edited:

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
I've moved to most of the States. My favorite place is anywhere in the South, especially Charleston, SC. The people are nicer, the beaches, the food is fantastic.

I wouldn't mind trying Europe and other countries for a few years, either. Or honestly, if I had millions of dollars to blow, I'd buy a house somewhere in the south here, and then travel and rarely see my own house.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My town's public schools consistently rank in the top 20 for the US. The basic stereotypes of most US high schools don't exist here--the smart kids are more admired than the athletes or cheerleaders. If you've got a smart kid, this is the district to be in. We're also racially, ethnically, and culturally mixed, although certain groups are under-represented. It's a lovely town in which to raise a child who truly believes that there's little essential difference between Russian Jews, Iranian Muslims, black kids, atheists, Chinese, Quakers, urban Hispanics, and what-have-you. Both our kids were somewhat surprised at their uber-liberal colleges to realize not everybody was as blind to the differences as they are.

The nearby city is currently among the top twenty in terms of real estate. We had no bubble, so we had no burst. Housing values have held steady or risen slightly, and there are bargains to be had, especially in the city proper.

The city has big-city problems, like many medium-sized cities, but not so many it's patently unsafe. We have a vibrant theatre, symphony, and dance scene, excellent local music (due in part to the presence of one of the two big-name music colleges), and a rich history which includes Frederick Douglass, George Eastman, and Susan B. Anthony. Our art museum, science museum, and museums of historic interest are considered to be excellent for their size. We have what is considered the nation's foremost museum dedicated to toys and play--it's pretty awesome even if you're an adult. We have two large colleges and several smaller ones, as well as community colleges, resulting in a general population which tends to be more educated than some.

Our winters are grey and way too long, but not especially harsh. We shovel snow several times a week, but rarely more than four or five inches. Spring is an annual miracle, later than most and therefore more welcome, and our summers are mild enough that many homes do not use air conditioning. We have perhaps a half-dozen truly uncomfortable days a year. Autumn is consistently glorious, since our trees-per-capita ratio is excellent.

We are within easy reach, by car or train, of Toronto, Cleveland, New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington DC, and pretty much the whole northern half of the eastern seaboard. We save a lot of money driving to excellent and varied travel destinations rather than flying.

The downside is that our taxes run high, and if you smoke, you can't afford it here.

Maryn, who came to like this place

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Unique to where I live? Well, we have been featured on Oprah as one of the most racist places on earth. But we're over that now. Now we have in-fighting, where the south county residents are prejudiced against the north county residents, to the point where the local paper decided to put out two issues; one for the entire county, one specifically for the south residents. The reason cited? They were having trouble getting advertisers--there's a lot of businesses that only want to target the south county residents. And the south county residents wanted a paper that was specific to Them--they don't care what's going on up north here--yeah, a whole ten miles away. Ooh, and those south residents? They want a new township. There's only one proper city in the county, so most of the county has the same address. Which is Cumming. Which those southies think is gross. If they're not griping about the sexual connotation, they're hollering that it's too Confederate. In the south. Um, ok.

Oh, you mean good things? We're #13 on the Forbes list of the wealthiest counties, and we have a beautiful recreational lake. That is, when they're not draining it to keep the mussels in Florida underwater. Oops, that was a slip. :)

Really, it's pretty nice here. Ninety degrees, hundred percent humidity. Oops, there I go again. lol

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm your typical Angelino...I can tell you why I'd never leave, and why I would love to, all in the same sentence. ;)

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
I figure fifty bucks a head ought to get it done. So, round it off and figure $16,500, and you can have the keys. We'll even let you play with the storm sirens whenever you want. (The Mayor, Fire Chief and County Sheriff all seem to.)

What? But... I thought you said "sell me your town"?

oh... nuts.

Ok, how about $25 a head?

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
At 50 bucks a head you could own my town for $500. Seriously.

You could have neighbors that know you need to take a whizz before you do, and you could drive a half hour to get to the nearest decent grocery store. (Actually, you'd have to drive a half hour to get to ANY store, of ANY kind. But we do have a bar, which is mandatory for every Iowa town, no matter how miniscule.)

Sounds lovely, right?*

*Please, for the love of Susan, get me the hell out of here.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Apart from I live here? :D

Hmm. 25th nicest place to live in the UK. We has a dragon, or we did till that naughty saint killed it :( It's pretty in places, it's friendly, it's a reasonable sized town but ten minutes walk and I can be in the forest. Very little crime.

And my local newsagent had a handprinted sign today: MP expenses discovery - they are all [censored]s. On the other side it said : [insert name of chavvy town up the road] girl gives birth to pitbull.

vrabinec

Dipwad
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vrabinec-fred.blogspot.com
Nope. Not gonna try to convince anyone. I live in a new development in Frederick, Md to appease the wife. If I had my druthers, I'd be living in some shithole shack on the beach or an efficiency in the heart of some city that breathes and lives.

These developments with their big houses and yards suck. The houses are an island unto themselves. Neighbors are all too busy playing soccer mom or some other thing and that leaves no time for real socializing, the kind I envisioned when I bought a house. You know, hanging out with a buddy in the garage, drinking beer while the wives bitch about their husbands upstairs, out of earshot.

Nope, you're better off somewhere else.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
My city has a pretty cool homeless shelter. I highly recommend it.

Kris

like motherf&cking Tolstoy
VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
I live in NYC and what I like best is that it's ok to hate it and complain about it. If something about New York sucks, you don't have to get all boosterish and pretend that it doesn't exist. You can just say that it's crap.

My hometown, which I miss terribly, is Atlanta GA, but I don't know if it's right for everyone.

Millicent M'Lady

Exploring the infinite abyss
Registered
Reaction score
I'm from what's known as "the Garden of Ireland". It really is a beautiful county which boasts some amazing scenery, some great history and has provided the backround scenery for films like Michael Collins, Braveheart and, eh, Stop Right Now by the Spice Girls...:D

My hometown specifically has a pretty interesting past, providing one of the seats of the Viking Invasion and even boasts its own pyramid! (I kid you not- mad eccentric rich people yonks ago! http://www.gallery.arklow.pl/data/media/1/pyramid.JPG

I recommend it for visits only- it unfortunately has a rotten drug problem that is eating the place apart from the inside out.

ReallyRong

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, my hometown is pretty much a shithole too. The only reason you might want to live here is that you could put most of that million dollars in the bank and maintain a list of stock replies when asked where you reside. For instance,

Questioner: Where do you live?
You: Not too far from Windsor Castle.
Questioner: Whereabouts is that?
You: Oh, a little bit further from Wimbledon.
Questioner: Um, where would that be then?
You: Up the road from Ascot racecourse.
Questioner: Where?
You: Down the road from the Henley Regatta.

And you hope that by this point you've worn them out without revealing your true location, and just as you can become guilty by association, you have just become rich by association! And Where exactly do I live? Not far from Windsor Castle, of course..

roonil_wazlib

Smile.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
earlymorningfog.tumblr.com
I didn't always love this state. I used to hate it with a burning passion.

Now, however, I'm finding it hard to leave (which is unfortunate, since there are no real top class acting jobs here in Colorado Springs). I love it here, so I'll ramble a bit, but I'm sure there will be someone who will disagree with me on a few things.

First, we have our sun. Sure, you burn within five minutes on a sunny day, but we have so much of it. I believe we have about 350-360 days of sun a year, which is probably why our obesity rate is so low. We're a very health-conscience, active state and if you like hiking, bike-riding, jogging, swimming, this is the place to be.

Second, our scenery. If you live up in the Woodland Park area, you'll find yourself surrounded by trees with a beautiful view of the mountains. It's a wonderful place to escape to. Head out east and you'll find a dryer area with more plains and less greenery. Up north and to the west, it's cool and a little bit wetter. Head down south towards Pueblo and it's much warmer (here in the Springs, it's about 82 today, but in Pueblo it's 95 and in Teller County, it's 75).

We actually have something resembling four seasons. Most of the time. The draught recently has made things a little bit whacky, but for the most part, we still have warm summers, rainy springs, cooler falls and nearly every winter we get a blizzard (not last winter, alas alas, but usually).

I'm not such a big fan of Denver or Pueblo, but Colorado Springs is becoming surprisingly liberal. Some people have said we're a very religious state (our baseball team is said to be super religious, but we love them anyway :D), but on the whole I've found people very accepting here. Almost no hate crimes in the area I live and people are very open to other nationalities, religions, sexualities, etc etc.

If you're an animal lover, you'll be happy to know that we're not all like Denver. In fact, here in the Springs, we've become a safe haven for pit bulls (and bully breeds). Places like All Breed Rescue and Mariah's Promise are wonderful places to adopt bully breeds from and the majority of bully breed owners are responsible and friendly.

Attractions! We're not a big club/bar state (at least, not around here), but if you're anything like me, the attractions we do offer will be enough. Manitou Springs and Old Colorado City are fantastic places to spend the day outdoors and get a feel for Colorado. I've had a few people tell me Manitou is evil because of "THE WITCHES!!11!", but everyone there has been exceedingly friendly and a lot of fun (particularly the more eccentric of its population).

Ghost towns are fun, as well, if you're into that sort of thing. South Park City is a place I've been raving about for awhile and we also have Buckskin Joe's (a replica ghost town with fun stuff for everyone). If you're more into the abandoned ghost towns, St Elmo is a beautiful, quiet place to visit.

Unfortunately, it's also expensive to live here. My family became very, very lucky in 1992 when we bought our house, as it had become a bit of a mess and was repossessed by the bank before we bought it for half its price. It's now worth about 250k and we still wouldn't be able to afford a house like it if we had to move! You have to be careful what areas you move to, as well. Five minutes north of my house you have all of the super expensive houses owned by retired generals and doctors; five minutes south and you have the tiny houses and a growing gang problem. Stick in the middle and you'll be safe. I've had quite a few out-of-state people tell me how strange it is to go from both extremes all within ten minutes.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Worth noting, I never said where I live was a shithole. Far from it. (And I've lived next to actual shitholes.)

I'm living in your average small town, middle of America. Seven minutes from one end to the other and back, if you get caught by the lights.

People are people. Our biggest problems come from two gangs. One in the hood, the other in city hall. Both of them are trying to convince their constituents that the other gang means them nothing but ill.

Oh, and then there's those outsiders... the ones what ain't from here....

You want to move here? We'll make room. Stay as long as you like. You'll never be FROM here, you understand, but, hey, if you're bringing new genes to the pool? Accomodations can be made.

Last edited:

kdnxdr

One of the most important people in the world
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
My new home is in the woods, down a dirt path, midst the poison ivy. I have wild edible plants all over the place. We have morel mushrooms, blackberries, wild concord grapes, herbs, persimmons, paw paws, and strawberries that I know of so far. I'm going to get an extention agent to come to our place and help me identify some more plants. We also have hicory and black walnuts.

We see deer, wild turkey, racoons, possums and a great variety of other animals frequently. There are several small lakes and rivers in the area to fish.

All that said, when the bottom falls out of the economy and the stores have been depleted of food, we got vittels! I won't really care that we ain't got a wally or a mally or a pollydoodle when the fan gets hit.

Kris

like motherf&cking Tolstoy
VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
These developments with their big houses and yards suck. The houses are an island unto themselves. Neighbors are all too busy playing soccer mom or some other thing and that leaves no time for real socializing, the kind I envisioned when I bought a house. You know, hanging out with a buddy in the garage, drinking beer while the wives bitch about their husbands upstairs, out of earshot.

Lived in the burbs recently and had a similar experience. I felt very out of sync. The streets were always deserted, but any time I'd leave the house in a hurry, suddenly the chattiest neighbor in the universe would materialize and want to spend an hour telling me neighborhood gossip. I guess Im just an introvert.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
And you hope that by this point you've worn them out without revealing your true location,

I prefer the history replies

You're from?

The last place anyone was pressed to death in England ( they put very big stones on people until they squished. Fun, huh?)

What?

Where they tried the acid bath murderer

Er....

Where a memeber of the Shadow Cabinet is MP ( so no fricking chance of getting the little cheater out)

*they run away screaming*

Yeah, but at least it ain't ( Creepy) Crawley

:D

vrabinec

Dipwad
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vrabinec-fred.blogspot.com
Lived in the burbs recently and had a similar experience. I felt very out of sync. The streets were always deserted, but any time I'd leave the house in a hurry, suddenly the chattiest neighbor in the universe would materialize and want to spend an hour telling me neighborhood gossip. I guess Im just an introvert.

I get what you're saying, and I cherish my solitude...right up until I want to get the hell out of the house and go have a beer with someone. Then my nearest friend is 300 miles away. I want it all. I want people around when I feel like socializing, and I want them to disappear when I want privacy. Prolly why I dig the internet. It's my true neighborhood.