Manuscript Requests After a Revision

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Well. nuts.

When I query a manuscript, I usually start with a smaller number (35 or so) to see if anyone is identifying amy problems with the manuscript. That way, I can make revisions before I exhaust all my querying options. So, the manuscript that I'm revising now went through an initial querying process this winter--35 queries and 17 requests. The other 18 were about 50/50 no response and flat out rejections. Based off that, I revised the first three chapters and made my MC more likable.

Now, out of the blue, I got a full manuscript request off a query and first three chapters I sent in March. The first three chapters have since been revised. So, do I send the revised manuscript knowing that it's different from the manuscript they originally requested from or do I send the original manuscript?

Only to me. This crap only happens to me. Just as an FYI, the new batch of queries I sent out last week (15) has already garnered four requests. I am totally confused as to what the proper etiquette is here.

Vermilion

Sleepless in Asia
Registered
Reaction score
I've not been in this situation, but maybe when you send out the full to the agent that requested it off the unrevised 3 chapters, you could include a note saying you've since revised the 3 chapters and ask if he/she prefers the revised version, and say that you're willing to switch back to the original unrevised one if he/she prefers that. At least that's what I would do.

I don't think there's any harm in trying to better the manuscript and also, the views are highly subjective.

myrmidon

i AM batman (not really)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
1979semifinalist.com
A very similar thing happened to me.

An agent requested a full in February 2008, I sent it and heard nothing for months. In April of 2008 based on some good feedback I started reworking the entire manuscript (a major, major rewrite - leaving almost nothing except the concept the same). I emailed them once a month every month starting in June 2008 just to find out what happened to the full I'd sent.

Out of the blue in October 2008 I get an email telling me that they must have lost it and can I please resend. Well now the ms. is laying at my feet in pieces, partially rewritten, partially an incomplete mess and me with no idea when the thing will be completed. So I was just really honest with them. I told them that I was in the middle of a major revisions based on some insightful feedback and that I could send the a revised partial (I think I offered the first 100 pages - which were finished) or I could send the full when it was complete. They very nicely told me to just send the full when it was complete.

I even told them I thought I could finish before the end of the year (what a rookie)...and didn't end up finishing until the end of April 2009. But I kept our email conversation thread and when the book was done I just emailed it, saying 'here's the full you requested'.

About six weeks later that resulted in a request for representation.

I didn't actually go with that agent but another that had become interested, but it was a huge success...considering it started with a crappy lost manuscript :)

I guess in all of this my advice is that agents are human, just be super honest and forthright and it will all work out. They obviously saw something in your work, and will likely appreciate the opportunity to look at the revised work, whenever you're ready.

Good luck!

myrmidon

i AM batman (not really)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
1979semifinalist.com
I think if it's already ready than you just explain the situation. Is the communication via email or snail mail? If email it's super easy. Just email your contact and let them know you have an updated draft and do they want to see that draft, which you think is improved, or the draft they've been reading.

This also happened to me in that I implemented some pretty significant changes between the April 2009 draft the agent was reading and when they came to me and said they were interested but hadn't finished yet, and so at that time (when they hadn't finished yet) I offered to send them the new draft - and they wanted it.

If you're dealing with snail mail...that's more difficult. Maybe as Vermilion said, you just send a letter with the new draft explaining the situation. Or you could send a letter with the old draft and say you've sent the old full since that's what they have been reading, but you're happy to send the new version if they'd like to see that as well...?

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
I'd say send the version you feel is strongest. I would mention that you've revised it since querying -- since it's been three months they shouldn't be surprised.

Good luck. :)

Rexwriter

Registered
Reaction score
I had a similar situation. One of the first agents I queried requested and read my full and then offered some really good suggestions and asked that a resubmit if I decided to revise. Just after I started working on the revision I got a request for a full from a query I'd sent weeks before and chalked up to no response means no.

He'd already read the first three chapters and I wasn't done with the revision. I had finished a new ending (which was the weakest part in the manuscript I sent the first agent). So, I put the new ending on the old manuscript, made sure it flowed alright, and sent it like that.

I'm still working on the revision for the first agent and I haven't heard back from the second yet. (There is also a third agent who requested the full at the very beginning and I still haven't heard back from). In retrospect I think it may have been better to explain things to the second agent and ask him if he'd wait a few months for the fully revised manuscript.

It sounds like most agents are pretty understanding. But when I was stressing about this I read several agent blogs about being annoyed at getting requests to send revised manuscripts if they've already put time into (and liked) the partial the way it was.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Well. nuts.

When I query a manuscript, I usually start with a smaller number (35 or so) to see if anyone is identifying amy problems with the manuscript. That way, I can make revisions before I exhaust all my querying options. So, the manuscript that I'm revising now went through an initial querying process this winter--35 queries and 17 requests. The other 18 were about 50/50 no response and flat out rejections. Based off that, I revised the first three chapters and made my MC more likable.

Did you send out the 35 queries at the same time? If not, over how many months? I usually send out 6-10 queries every 6-8 weeks. Your 17 requests (almost 50%) is fantastic. Based on those results, why did you revise?

Now, out of the blue, I got a full manuscript request off a query and first three chapters I sent in March. The first three chapters have since been revised. So, do I send the revised manuscript knowing that it's different from the manuscript they originally requested from or do I send the original manuscript?

I wouldn't confuse the issue. I'd send the full manuscript in accordance with your first query. In the cover letter you could mention that since submitting you have made some revisions to the first three chapters and offer to send them.

Only to me. This crap only happens to me.

May you always have such "crappy" problems.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
I sent out 35 queries over the course of a month or so. Maybe six weeks from late January to early March. I revised because out of the 17 requests, I got no offers and had a very detailed, very personal rejection from one agent who indicated as the reason for the rejection a problem I was kind of iffy about but had already identified. So, working with a few new betas who hadn't reviewed the manuscript before the initial queries, I reworked the first three chapters to address the issue--which consisted of a reorganization of the events in the first chapter and moving some events up to make my main character more relatable. So the revisions had little to do with the story itself, just how I told it.

In the end, the query letter itself does a fabulous job. I LURVE my query letter. Now I just need the manuscript to follow suit--if that makes sense. Sure, the stats are great but the pain is ultimately more intense as a result. I figure I must be doing something right with the story concept and idea, but I wasn't hooking an agent beyond that initial request.

As an update to my OP, I emailed the agency that requested the full. I informed her that I'd since revised the manuscript due to feedback I'd received and that I was sending her the new version. If she would prefer the original manuscript, I would send it on promptly. She responded within a matter of minutes, acknowledging the backlog of submissions at the agency and informing me that she preferred the newest version of the story even if it meant a little re-reading. So, we shall see.

Danthia

Always send your best work as agents want to see your best work. Revisions happen up until you print the dang thing anyway, so they know stuff changes. :)

And remember, odds are the idea and the story haven't changed, just some text within that story. And the story, and your voice, are what hooked them in the first place.