The Eight/The Fire - Katherine Neville

Caramia

Alliteration Afflicted
Registered
Reaction score
This is my subtle cheering for my favorite author and lucky you! You don't have to wait ages to get the whole story ;)

I read The Eight by Katherine Neville when I was 18 (36 now!) and have had many repeat reads since. It is the only book I've ever read more than once. To say I fell in love with it just doesn't do it justice. Obsessed might be the better choice. At least ten friends over the years have buckled to my subtle pressure to read it and have all enjoyed it too.

Finally, in October of last year, the excruciating wait for the sequel was rewarded with The Fire.

I honestly cannot recommend these stories nearly enough. She puts in so much time and effort into research that her words ring true. It is all very plausible the way she tells it, when the subject is incredible and hard to accept, or believe - I find myself falling for it every time.

Not sure if I should post the synopsis, but will give links. http://www.katherineneville.com/neville-eight-synopsis.htm
http://www.katherineneville.com/neville-fire-synopsis.htm

bobothebee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bobo-the-bee.livejournal.com
Re: The Eight

My taste is generally deep within the fantasy / sci-fi genre, but I picked up a copy of Katherine Neville's The Eight off of a recommendation of a friend and it has climbed it's way up to one of my top 5 books of my library, and it can hold it's own in a conversation between any book I've read for the best book I've ever read.

It reminds me a lot about the DaVinci Code, in that the protagonist is given cryptic clues from a secret society that she has to unravel in order to solve the riddle of The Eight, but where DaVinci Code pounds a more common conspiracy theory into the dirt, Neville has created a unique (so far as I know!) storyline that kept me on the edge of my, erm, pillow until I finished it.

I made a somewhat bad attempt at recording my thoughts of a chapter upon reading it for the first time, but that went downhill very, very fast once the book picked up even more and I was unable to tear myself away from it long enough to write down those thoughts. I haven't had an opportunity$ to read the Fire yet, but I give my recommendation to Neville's The Eight with 5 stars!

Here's the link to the posts of the first 10 or so chapters of the book, if anyone is interested (but there are spoilers, so no peeking if you're wanting to read the book yourself!): livejournal.com

gypsyscarlett

Ma fin est mon commencement
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome novel. Years ago, I borrowed it from the bookstore that I worked at. Afterwards, it became one of my most highly recommended books to customers.

I wish I had a copy of it on hand.

Have you read, " The Magic Circle" or "A Calculated Risk"? I haven't yet, but they sound pretty cool.

Caramia

Alliteration Afflicted
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I am signed up for her newsletter...apparently. (It's her first, she and I exchanged emails before so guess I get enrolled automatically lol..so sad..I feel pathetic!)

BUT! The great news I had to pass on is this lil snippet!:

THE FIRE receives the SILVER NAUTILUS AWARD!

THE FIRE-- my long-awaited sequel to The Eight-- is a recipient of the Silver Nautilus Award for Visionary Fiction! These beautiful prizes (see right) are very special, and are awarded each year to those who “Think Outside the Box”--with very few fiction awards being given. Some past recipients of the Nautilus have included Deepak Chopra, Barbara Kingsolver, and the Dalai Lama!

I am so very proud of her :)

Caramia

Alliteration Afflicted
Registered
Reaction score
I am trying to avoid over excitement, but exchanged emails with her and I touched on the topic of films, thinking there's no way to possibly fit so much story into films and got this response:

"Yes, we are going to do a film--of both books, The Eight and The Fire. We are working on it right now!"

Let the celebrations begin!

gypsyscarlett

Ma fin est mon commencement
Registered
Reaction score
The Eight (and I'm sure, "The Fire", also) has the elements to translate very well onto the screen. Let's hope Hollywood does the books justice.

Did she give any more details? Are the movies just in the beginning stages or has there been any actual work laid out?

Caramia

Alliteration Afflicted
Registered
Reaction score
I believe it's in the baby stages. There was nothing more to go on and I did try googling, sometimes there's loads of info on projects yet to go into production, but not this time.

*twiddles her thumbs and chants* I must be patient, I must be patient...

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I loved The Eight. I keep meaning to pick The Fire. But first I must reread The Eight simply because I love to read it regularly.

Caramia

Alliteration Afflicted
Registered
Reaction score
There has rarely been a year pass since I first read it that I haven't read at least some of it. Often it gets set aside in favor of a new story to broaden my reading a bit.

The Fire was really, really wonderful. There were a few small things that I could've done without. I think Katherine developed a love of cooking, recipes and such things between her writing The Eight and The Fire and she spends alot of time examining food. This is also very logical due to the career of her MC. Luckily, I've also developed an appreciation for cooking in recent years, so it wasn't nearly as much of a hindering aspect as it would have been years ago.

I do plan to read it again though. Just like The Eight, I think there will be something new to click in my mind each time I read the words :)