A question for you Coffee Drinkers!

Sydewinder

Banned
Reaction score
Look up. you see that bright star in the sky? I li
Hi everyone,

You all came through on my last question so I hope you can come through for me again. I’m not a coffee drinker. Honestly I’ve never bought a single thing from starbucks in my whole life. But in my WIP I need a really long, really pretentious drink that someone would order that might make a barista groan.

Oh, and if it could be a hot drink that would be great...I need it to burn the person.

Thanks for all your help guys!

dnic

Resident Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
four-lettered-words.blogspot.com
Last edited:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I never saw the film L.A. Story, but I remember seeing an ad for it wherein Steve Martin orders a laughably complex, pompous concoction: a "double-soy half-decaf-half-caf-latte" type thing. I'll check IMDB.com.

ETA: http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0016097/quotes

"I'll have a half double decaffeinated half-caf, with a twist of lemon."

Last edited:

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I ask if they have a bean that's not been over roasted. In ONG I used to by my beans from the village (about 20c per kilo then). I'd cook them in a dry heavy-based frypan. I'd never over cook them. So I ask for a lighter roast bean in a soy late.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I ask if they have a bean that's not been over roasted. In ONG I used to by my beans from the village (about 20c per kilo then). I'd cook them in a dry heavy-based frypan. I'd never over cook them. So I ask for a lighter roast bean in a soy late.
How many umbrellas with that, sir? ;)

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I'll have a quarter caff double foamed espresso served by twelve virgins on a bed of white roses.

barnicus

I can't do nothin for you
Registered
Reaction score
Well, have the MC order a hot mocha frappuccino. When the barista says they can't make it that way make your MC be insistent about it.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
When I was nursing my daughter, she was allergic to milk protien, so I couldn't have any dairy. I was also trying to avoid caffeine. But I craved Starbucks. So I ordered a tall, decaff, soy latte. The guy behind the counter turned to the woman who was making the drinks and said, "She wants a why-bother."

TrickyFiction

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
I worked as a barista in many different cafés for way too many years. Once, a girl ordered a drink I'll never forget. She wanted a "half-decaf, two percent, extra caramel, not too hot, light foam, caramel macchiato." The groaner on this one was when she said, "And I want the decaf shot on the bottom and the other on top." Behind her, her boyfriend pantomimed a sincere and embarrassed apology.

For those who don't understand why this was a ridiculous order, the way you pull a double, half-decaf pair of shots is by mixing decaf and regular grounds into the same group and pulling it (the old machines had no way of pulling single shots). You'd have to pull four shots and throw two of them away in order to segregate the shots. Not to mention the fact that by the time the drink was in the orderers hands, both shots would be all cozy and intermingled anyway. So we just nodded and smiled and made her a normal half-decaf caramel macchiato and she never knew the difference.

The other trick to this order, though (which you might want to keep in mind) is that the "caramel macchiato" is a signature Star$ drink, which is made like a vanilla latte with caramel on top. A true macchiato is more of a shooter, if you know what I mean -- esspresso plus a little milk or foam to give it color. So this particular order would vary depending on what kind of café you're imagining.

Regardless, ordering any hot, half-decaf beverage and demanding the decaf be poured first and the regular second, is going to make any barista groan because it doesn't make any difference whatsoever by the time the drink is passed out. It's as silly as ordering a cup of two different kinds of hot tea, and then demanding that one be poured before the other. By the time you drink it, it won't matter. Heat does that to liquids.

TrickyFiction

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
When I was nursing my daughter, she was allergic to milk protien, so I couldn't have any dairy. I was also trying to avoid caffeine. But I craved Starbucks. So I ordered a tall, decaff, soy latte. The guy behind the counter turned to the woman who was making the drinks and said, "She wants a why-bother."

:D At one café, we had a lady who ordered a decaf, nonfat, sugar-free vanilla latte, and her husband would always come in and say, "My wife wants her why-bother latte." Made me laugh every time.

Ms Hollands

Cow lover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lefrancophoney.com
I worked as a barista in many different cafés for way too many years. Once, a girl ordered a drink I'll never forget. She wanted a "half-decaf, two percent, extra caramel, not too hot, light foam, caramel macchiato."

Hah! Was going to say that a macchiato has to be part of the most pretentious drink ever. Preferebly with skim milk.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shifting this off to the "Research & Experts" forum.

Or whatever the heck it's called.

ETA: oh. "Story Research". I knew it was something like that.

auntybug

teh other evil broad
Registered
Reaction score
I am destined for greatness. I'm just pacing mysel
Website
www.junekramin.com
I made myself a t-shirt at our cyber cafe:

"I'll have a half-calf-non-fat-no-foam-grande breve-1 pump sugar free vanilla - extra whip & no cap & I'll need a cat 5 patch to utilize your T-1." (something like that...)

We did have ridiculous orders for sure - Starbucks people being the biggest pains in the butts. People not knowing what a real cappuccino was or a macchiato as mentioned. It sucked trying to do stuff right.

We made signs to help - our "why bother" was a decaf-no fat-no foam - no flavor.

We had a guy order french roast & add 6 shots of espresso to it - we called it "the defibrillator".

White-Tean

Illustration Student
Registered
Reaction score
Website
white-tean.livejournal.com
It doesn't necessarily need to be a long drink order to be ultra wanky and pretentious if that's what you're going for, for me it's mainly the beans, the best coffee beans I've ever had were lovely Ethiopian ones, I vastly prefer them to the Brazilian beans which seem to be more common and are in my experience more bitter. I generally order what’s on the menu and the only thing I specify is if they ask me if I want cream, marshmallows or I think one time I mentioned how I love the caramel flavouring and got an extra generous dob of it without needing to ask. But when it comes to the coffee beans for the machine at home I’ll be more picky because I don't make any fancy flavoured coffee at home so I can actually taste the beans.

My normal coffee orders are very vanilla lattes (which creates a lovely and smooth fusion flavour and isn’t overbearingly slanted in the vanilla direction) and caramelattes from Gloria Jean's, or if I’m in the right country for a Starbucks I’ve drank things like Mocha Frappuccinos.

I'm probably a plebe though as coffee drinking goes.

Last edited:

TrickyFiction

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
People not knowing what a real cappuccino was or a macchiato as mentioned.

For sure. And the cappuccino is probably one of my favorite drinks, but I don't dare order it from any café other than those I am already sure can make one well.

Another pretentious* order is the "iced cappuccino." A cappuccino is foamed milk and espresso. FOAM is vital. And a good cappuccino is free-poured. There's just no way to make that iced. Dumping ice into the foam would destroy the foam (which should stick if you turn a spoonful of it upside-down, btw). When people order an iced cappuccino, it usually means they want an iced latte, but they just like the sound of "cappuccino" better. And I don't blame them, really. It's a delicious word.

*By pretentious, I mean an order that is intended to sound fancy, but is actually flagging the person who orders it as someone who has no idea what they're saying.

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't necessarily need to be a long drink order to be ultra wanky and pretentious if that's what you're going for, for me it's mainly the beans, the best coffee beans I've ever had were lovely Ethiopian ones, I vastly prefer them to the Brazilian beans which seem to be more common and are in my experience more bitter.

Ahh...an addict after my own heart.
Although I'd say Latin American beans are more sour, and African beans are more bitter.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I worked as a barista in many different cafés for way too many years. Once, a girl ordered a drink I'll never forget. She wanted a "half-decaf, two percent, extra caramel, not too hot, light foam, caramel macchiato." The groaner on this one was when she said, "And I want the decaf shot on the bottom and the other on top." Behind her, her boyfriend pantomimed a sincere and embarrassed apology.

For those who don't understand why this was a ridiculous order

I don't think you need to work in a cafe to know why that was a ridiculous order. :D

ChristineR

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the Universi
My sister orders by temperature. Also you can get extra foam, or light foam, whip, light whip, extra whip, any of various syrups, and of course extra shots. And some places offer a choice of soy milk, rice milk, low fat soy milk, and almond milk, as well as the various cow milks.

StandJustSo

Registered
Reaction score
Oooooh (rubbing hands together) hoo and rah!

I can get a grande sugar free vanilla latte (extra vanilla) made with almond milk? Unsweetened almond milk? Better have 3 shots of the sugar free vanilla then, and a little extra cinnamon sprinkled on top.

I guess that's what some would call a 'snickety, half whybother,' but at least I want the caffeine, lol.