PDA

View Full Version : How many people do you have daily human contact with?

Sophia
06-22-2009, 12:01 AM
That's as opposed to communicating with people online. :) By "human contact", I mean saying hello to a postie, or saying hi in the mornings to an office mate, or buying a train ticket at a counter. How many people do you typically exchange words with, face to face, in your daily life?

There's a poll to come. I'm asking for a number averaged over a 'typical' seven-day week for you. I'm guessing there's a range here, from isolated writers, to people who are near-constantly surrounded by others, and within that range, we sometimes like it that way, and sometimes don't.

Edit: That should be "21 +" in the poll.

Millicent M'Lady
06-22-2009, 12:09 AM
It depends on the day to be honest. If I'm working, I see loads (and sometimes far too many people, to be honest) but if I have time off, I could quite easily go for weeks before I had to see anyone. At other times, I am a social butterfly and I could talk to the country.

Is that a bit mental?!:D

Ol' Fashioned Girl
06-22-2009, 12:14 AM
If no clients show up, if I don't go to Buy-4-Less or Lowes or Home Depot or Barnes and Noble or go out to eat at noon or in the evening... 6-7, average, a day.

If I go to WalMart: 30,000.

brainstorm77
Most days I interact with at least 50 or more people. I'm a nurse at a large hospital so my job forces me to be social :) Plus my friends outside of work :)

BigWords
I meet way too many idiots every day.

Seaclusion
06-22-2009, 12:16 AM
None, I'm anti-social.

Richard

Cranky
06-22-2009, 12:18 AM
Five. Some days more, but mostly, yeah. Five. My husband and kids. :)

scarletpeaches
06-22-2009, 12:20 AM
I'm assuming it's not "How many people do you see daily?" but simply a matter of number-crunching?

And human contact? How intimate are we talking? Passing people in the street? Folks we talk to? How about talking to people we haven't met?

The only person I'm guaranteed to talk to every day is thethinker42. I also email Adzmodeus - we would talk on MSN but I limit my contacts to Lori and my aunt in Sydney, so I still have time to get writing done. I can talk to Lori for hours and she aids my writing, rather than hindering it.

I speak to my dad roughly every two or three days, see him maybe once a week.

I have places to go, things to do each week and while I might be in a room with upwards of one hundred other people, how many do I touch, interact with, talk to?

If we're discussing people you go out of your way to speak to, I'd guess fewer than five a week. And that's including Lori, who's not real as she's only online.

robeiae
06-22-2009, 12:20 AM
About 24 too many. So...28.

Rachel
06-22-2009, 12:21 AM
My mom and my two brothers.

*counts*

*counts*

3!

Button
06-22-2009, 12:26 AM
I moved here near my family to help out, so I see them on the weekends. The Cajun I see during the week and calls usually once a day when I'm seeing family. (He's usually seeing family at the same time.)

I'm not social when I go out at all. I'm not unfriendly, although I'm comfortable with a silence as long as everyone is doing their job. I work at a computer so to satisfy my 'mole person' like personality.

Online I'm flighty. When I get busy with things, my friends won't hear from me for weeks at a time in some cases. Bad friend am I.

Button
06-22-2009, 12:28 AM
So that makes about five people throughout the week on a regular basis that I see in person. Outside of bookstore and library people, grocery store people, or others I do business things with but don't always interact with unless provoked.

Mr Flibble
06-22-2009, 12:31 AM
If I'm at work, loads. 50+.

At the weekend though it's my Old Man and my kids and that's about it.

wannawrite
06-22-2009, 12:31 AM
Three. Oops. I counted myself. Two.

Button
06-22-2009, 12:40 AM
I know it takes all sorts to create a writing community, but do you all think that being a writer lends to being less social than what appears to be 'normal'? We do tend to spend a lot of time alone. I find myself sacrificing in some cases times when I could be online and social with friends (and if I were popular in person, I'd assume it would be hanging out with friends instead of chatting) in exchange for working on some writing work.

scarletpeaches
06-22-2009, 12:45 AM
I like to write more than I like to be with people.

spamwarrior
06-22-2009, 12:48 AM
5-20. I have a big family. And I'm a student.

Though lately these days I've been content to sit at home with the laptop and a bunch of reading material.

Sophia
06-22-2009, 01:18 AM
Thank you for the replies, everyone! ButtonTheCat's question is really interesting, but I couldn't phrase it as well as she did.

scarletpeaches: Yes, I did mean number crunching. Anyone you say a word to would count, but not, say, someone you passed on the street without speaking to, or people you stood next to on a train station platform but didn't exchange a word with. I'm in the 0 - 1 camp; saying "Hi" or "Morning!" would count as memorable human contact to me, which is why my question includes anything from one word as communication. But, 'real life' only! MSN doesn't count just for this poll.

Death Wizard
06-22-2009, 01:19 AM
M-F, 50-plus. S-Sun, 10-plus.

scarletpeaches
06-22-2009, 01:22 AM
Thank you for the replies, everyone! ButtonTheCat's question is really interesting, but I couldn't phrase it as well as she did.

scarletpeaches: Yes, I did mean number crunching. Anyone you say a word to would count, but not, say, someone you passed on the street without speaking to, or people you stood next to on a train station platform but didn't exchange a word with. I'm in the 0 - 1 camp; saying "Hi" or "Morning!" would count as memorable human contact to me, which is why my question includes anything from one word as communication. But, 'real life' only! MSN doesn't count just for this poll.

Hmm. Well there's no-one I speak to every day.

I guess...in a week I speak to fewer than ten different people. My dad, my friend B, a few others like shop staff or librarians.

Ambrosia
06-22-2009, 01:22 AM
Elara...

The poll in my opinion should be multiple choice. My weeks are never the same. If I have my choice, I stay home. But, I rarely have my choice as there are chiro appts, dr appts, groceries to buy, animal food to buy, vets to visit, etc. Although you allowed for that as 'interaction', unless I know the person I wouldn't count it as such. Rare are the times I actually engage a stranger. Though it has been known to happen.

Of course I skew most test results, so I guess it doesn't matter. :tongue

scarletpeaches
06-22-2009, 01:25 AM
And I was thinking...if MSN doesn't count, but exchanging a few words with someone does, then I can count the guy who served me when I bought a magazine and a chocolate bar this afternoon, but not tt42 who knows more about me than people I've even met. Seems a bit off to me.

I'd trust Lori with my manuscripts, but wouldn't trust someone I exchange a couple of words with a couple of times a week to give me the correct change half the time.

Williebee
06-22-2009, 01:26 AM
And that's just in the 10 items or less line.

During the week -- 25-30+
Weekends -- 5-10 a day, plus pets.

Sophia
06-22-2009, 01:26 AM
Of course I skew most test results, so I guess it doesn't matter. :tongue

Troublemaker. :D

Marcus
06-22-2009, 01:35 AM
If talking on the phone directly work related counts then when i Work its like 50+....

days i don't work its like... ho hum... 3-5 lol.

Sure i'll take that monkey off your back and fix that problem for you because your not smart enough to do it yourself Sgt. So and SO! /grumbles

bettielee
06-22-2009, 01:41 AM
hmm...where did weekly come into it? I might be confused.... I must work for a living... so I see 10 people a day right there... weekends... I see the guy at the coffee place. And sparklepeaches would like him... he looks like a Latin Colin Farrell - the clean shaven Colin, he of the sharp jaw line. Yeah.

scarletpeaches
06-22-2009, 01:42 AM
Have him washed and sent to my tent!

DL Hegel
06-22-2009, 01:46 AM
Monday---Sat...70 to 90 people a day. Sundays depends on what I do...my favorite is cat snuggling...are cats people?

Mr Flibble
06-22-2009, 01:49 AM
Have him washed and sent to my tent!

Colin Farrell came in my shop the other day

Ok, not the Colin Farrell. But a Colin Farrell. Quite fit, but not half as sexy as Mr Devito ( yeah really) who has a gravelly voice to die for and also looks like this: ( ok, without the eyepatch)

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n83/spinynorman_2006/5r9ca.jpg

scarletpeaches
06-22-2009, 01:51 AM
Don't make me put a stop to our new arrangement.

Marcus
06-22-2009, 01:51 AM
Monday---..my favorite is cat snuggling...are cats people?

If your cat is named Onyx and lives in my house he is a person. Seriously, i have a cat that is as smart as a 3-4 year old person. He opens sliding doors and knows how to open doors that have the lever knobs, the ones the raptors opened in Jurassic park. His favorite place to hide is on top of the fridge in the cabinets that no one ever puts anything in... He talks to you when you meow at him. sigh, now i miss my cat too.... :cry:

DL Hegel
06-22-2009, 01:56 AM
If your cat is named Onyx and lives in my house he is a person. Seriously, i have a cat that is as smart as a 3-4 year old person. He opens sliding doors and knows how to open doors that have the lever knobs, the ones the raptors opened in Jurassic park. His favorite place to hide is on top of the fridge in the cabinets that no one ever puts anything in... He talks to you when you meow at him. sigh, now i miss my cat too.... :cry:

my indoor cat is aleister, he talks all the time, opens cabinets and doors, likes to stand on my kitchen table and howl.

He's 17 and deaf as a door nail and my best buddy:)

Marcus
06-22-2009, 02:02 AM
my indoor cat is aleister, he talks all the time, opens cabinets and doors, likes to stand on my kitchen table and howl.

He's 17 and deaf as a door nail and my best buddy:)

you have a CAT that is 17 years old in human years!!!! WOW you really do love your cat. It takes a LOT of work to keep a cat healthy enough to live that long! Mad props!

Marcus
06-22-2009, 02:04 AM
The Oldest Living Cat
According to the Guinness World Record (of 2002 - no longer available online), the oldest living cat was then a cat from Victoria, Australia, named Kataleena Lady. She was born in 1977, making her 25, a mere youngster, compared to other claims.
One source says the longest-lived cat was in Devon, England; a tabby named Puss, who passed on shortly after his 36th birthday, in 1939
In 2007, a black cat named Baby in Duluth, MN was claimed to be 37[/link] by his owners.
Manx and Siamese have been mentioned as being among the longest-lived pedigreed cats.
The Jaguar is said to be the longest-lived species of cat, sometimes reaching 30 years.

bettielee
06-22-2009, 02:07 AM
My cat is not a person, she is a demon beast from hell and as soon as I discover the right enchantment to send her back, I'm going to need a virgin to sacrifice...

scarletpeaches
06-22-2009, 02:07 AM
Well you won't find one round here that's for sure.

DWSTXS
06-22-2009, 02:26 AM
If no clients show up, if I don't go to Buy-4-Less or Lowes or Home Depot or Barnes and Noble or go out to eat at noon or in the evening... 6-7, average, a day.

I say Wow! because I wish I could find a Wal-Mart like yours that wasn't crowded.
Ours is 1,000,000,000 + (of course, that's early mornings, the best time to go, when it's not busy and you can get something done.) LOL

at work, 5-20 because every time I look up, someone is walking into my office wanting something, or telling me to come to a meeting.

Last week, the owner called a meeting, and when we assembled into the large conference room, he informed us that the reason for the meeting, was to let us know about a meeting we were going to have that afternoon. THAT"s why I wish my daily numbers were a LOT lower. I could get along fine with only seeing/talking/interacting with 3-5 people per day.

am I anti-social? No, it's just that to me, so many people's stories have become tiresome.

WendyNYC
06-22-2009, 02:32 AM
I don't even know. A lot. My neighborhood is crowded and I walk outside quite a bit.

scarletpeaches
06-22-2009, 02:42 AM
Out...? Outs...?

What is that?

aadams73
06-22-2009, 03:03 AM
Some days, four or five max. Other days, bunches of them.

Button
06-22-2009, 03:08 AM
Out...? Outs...?

What is that?

It's those places you send your unwitting characters to, and ends up being (usually) an all-too unflattering and freaky (conflict) so we as writers don't like to do it ourselves much. ;)

DL Hegel
06-22-2009, 03:21 AM
you have a CAT that is 17 years old in human years!!!! WOW you really do love your cat. It takes a LOT of work to keep a cat healthy enough to live that long! Mad props!

he runs around the house like he's a kitten, he's my favorite little old man:)
He has just been lucky:) and so have I.

DL Hegel
06-22-2009, 03:23 AM
The Oldest Living Cat
According to the Guinness World Record (of 2002 - no longer available online), the oldest living cat was then a cat from Victoria, Australia, named Kataleena Lady. She was born in 1977, making her 25, a mere youngster, compared to other claims.
One source says the longest-lived cat was in Devon, England; a tabby named Puss, who passed on shortly after his 36th birthday, in 1939
In 2007, a black cat named Baby in Duluth, MN was claimed to be 37[/link] by his owners.
Manx and Siamese have been mentioned as being among the longest-lived pedigreed cats.
The Jaguar is said to be the longest-lived species of cat, sometimes reaching 30 years.

Wow those are some old cats:)

Neurotic
06-22-2009, 03:25 AM
During the semester, heaps. That's the problem with languages. They make you interact with people as part of the learning experience or something. Now, on a good day, none. If I have to go out, it depends on how many people do stuff like hold elevators or open doors. Because I'm one of those people who always makes eye contact, smiles and says thank you. Which I think should count if 'Hi!' does. :)

I'm not really sure what that averages out to though. Probably pretty low.

aadams73
06-22-2009, 03:25 AM
I want to make the dirtiest comment, but I'm being good, I swear.

DL Hegel
06-22-2009, 03:28 AM
During the semester, heaps. That's the problem with languages. They make you interact with people as part of the learning experience or something. Now, on a good day, none. If I have to go out, it depends on how many people do stuff like hold elevators or open doors. Because I'm one of those people who always makes eye contact, smiles and says thank you. Which I think should count if 'Hi!' does. :)

I'm not really sure what that averages out to though. Probably pretty low.

Are there any clowns or sheep on the list?

jennontheisland
06-22-2009, 03:34 AM
Um, do people on webcams count?

Neurotic
06-22-2009, 03:35 AM
Are there any clowns or sheep on the list?

Which list are we talking about?

JoNightshade
06-22-2009, 03:55 AM

My Kitty (who lives with my folks since he can roam around in the country there) is going to be 18 in a month or two! He now spends most of his time curled up in the sun, but occasionally he'll get all spunky and go racing around, sprinting up and down trees.

As for me, I'm going to say I have contact with an average of 2-3 people per day. During the week I am alone except for my hubby and I always talk to whoever rings me up at the grocery store. But on Fridays I go to lunch with about 4 people, and Sundays at church I might talk to 10 people.

aadams73
06-22-2009, 04:13 AM
Wait, does my parole officer count?

Pagey's_Girl
06-22-2009, 04:14 AM
I'm a receptionist at a mid-sized company, so I see pretty much everyone when they come in to work in the AM as well as all their visitors and the people who come in to ask directions or whatnot - so even not taking friends and family into account, it's easily 70-100 per weekday. Weekends, it depends on what I'm doing. Sometimes I just need time to myself...

Button
06-22-2009, 06:34 AM
Wait, does my parole officer count?

Good question.

What about the invisible people that only I can see?

Or the voices in my head?

spamwarrior
06-22-2009, 06:40 AM
Oh, whoops. I actually go see a lot more than 20 people a week. I am pretty active in my church so I get to see a lot of people who are nice and a lot of people who I don't really want to see.

DL Hegel
06-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Which list are we talking about?

;)

Roger J Carlson
06-22-2009, 04:55 PM
Edit: That should be "21 +" in the poll.Just a note: Supermods can edit polls, you know.

Summonere
06-22-2009, 06:58 PM
How many people do you have daily human contact with?

I'm asking for a number averaged over a 'typical' seven-day week for you.

Daily human contact? Hmm. Back when I had my long-time regular job, it was about 200 people a day, or about 1,000 per week.

My other job, let's see, coupla classes, fifteen to thirty students per, so that's about 90 to 180 per week (not including office visits or tutorials).

Add those two together (back when I had two jobs not including the third one, which was on weekends, and pretty much just me shuffling papers), it was anywhere from 200 to 380 per day, or anywhere from 1,000 to 1,900 per week.

Many repeats, though, day to day.

jodiodi
06-22-2009, 07:09 PM
My husband is the only daily contact I have. Hence, I picked 0-1. I'm totally isolated, alone in my basement bunker with 3 dogs. And I like it like that. My husband and I are both anti-social. When we go to church, that whole "sign of peace" deal drives us crazy. Neither of us can stand to 'greet' the people around us so we try to sit far away from others and in the last row so no one's behind us.

Sometimes I wish we were more social, but we have no outside friends and don't go to other peoples' homes or have them come to ours. When in AK, we had tons of people around, but have had no one except his mom, brother and sister (once) and my best friend from home (once) in the 4 years we've lived here.

quickWit
06-22-2009, 07:27 PM
I don't see "Entirely too many" as a poll option.

Must be an oversight.

Namatu
06-22-2009, 07:35 PM
I always end up being more social than I anticipate. Even during the week. It is surprising and, at times, aggravating because I don't see myself as a terribly social person. I like being at home, with my imaginary people and my books and the magic box o' TV with its pretend stories.

aadams73
06-22-2009, 07:41 PM
Good question.

What about the invisible people that only I can see?

Or the voices in my head?

Invisible people and the voices in your head totally count.

Right?

Right?

RIGHT??????

Aeroud
06-22-2009, 08:09 PM
I work at a major retailer. I am a cashier. I encounter, face to face, more people than I want to encounter. I also talk to them. When I go home at night, I don't talk to anyone, except the animals that meet me at the door. Hubby has learned over 20 plus years to back off and let me relax a couple minutes, get a cup of coffee and park my carcass before approaching me. I have a tendency to turn into my humanoid cat characters and bite otherwise.

dpaterso
06-22-2009, 08:14 PM
Hey, it's a different number today! Why can't I vote again?!

-Derek

Sophia
06-22-2009, 11:08 PM
Why can't I vote again?!

I know, it's outrageous! I blame the Mods!

My number's different today, too, as I went to the cinema to see Star Trek and said hi to the usher.

It could have been higher if I'd exploded at the three other people there who were nattering the whole way through! But I kept my cool, and limited my communication to a finger gesture as they left*. Which doesn't count for the purposes of this poll.

*I shocked myself. But it was Trek, dammit!

DWSTXS
06-23-2009, 04:46 AM
I know, it's outrageous! I blame the Mods!

My number's different today, too, as I went to the cinema to see Star Trek and said hi to the usher.

It could have been higher if I'd exploded at the three other people there who were nattering the whole way through! But I kept my cool, and limited my communication to a finger gesture as they left*. Which doesn't count for the purposes of this poll.

*I shocked myself. But it was Trek, dammit!

Were you letting them know that you thought the movie was no. 1 ?

Devil Ledbetter
06-23-2009, 05:44 AM
I probably interact with about half the people in my company over the course of any given workday, so I chose "21 +."

Matera the Mad
06-23-2009, 06:11 AM
1-6, based on average workdays plus totally asocial weekends, in normal weeks. Then there's the rare biggies. But I'm happy if I'm locked up in a room with a computer and something nice to eat.

White-Tean
06-23-2009, 11:01 PM
If I don't go out to the store or university, I still see my mom, dad, sister and if it's a weekday (and I'm awake) my grandfather when he comes over to walk our dogs (yes, we do take advantage of our elderly in my family) and we have horses part-boarded so I go up almost everyday and interact (and gossip) with everyone at the stable.

Pat~
06-24-2009, 11:44 PM
5-21 (or more):

1 husband (who really equals 2 or more, as he always has his best neighbor buddy(s) around)

1 daughter who is just like her dad and really equals 2 or more, b/c she always has her best neighbor buddy(s) around--(daughter of dad's buddy)

1 son who is more like me, and less predictable; content to go for hours (days?) alone and immersed in stuff, and other times has up to a dozen friends over for a pool party

1 lab/blue-heeler mongrel who thinks she's human (so I'm assuming she counts?)

Leukman
06-24-2009, 11:54 PM
I choose eggplant. I owe it one.

Ambrosia
06-25-2009, 12:04 AM
I choose eggplant. I owe it one.:ROFL: