How many people do you have daily human contact with?

How many people do you have daily human contact with?

• 0 - 1

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • 2 - 4

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • 5 - 20

Votes: 22 36.7%
  • 21 +

Votes: 19 31.7%
  • Orlando and an eggplant are all I need

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
That's as opposed to communicating with people online. :) By "human contact", I mean saying hello to a postie, or saying hi in the mornings to an office mate, or buying a train ticket at a counter. How many people do you typically exchange words with, face to face, in your daily life?

There's a poll to come. I'm asking for a number averaged over a 'typical' seven-day week for you. I'm guessing there's a range here, from isolated writers, to people who are near-constantly surrounded by others, and within that range, we sometimes like it that way, and sometimes don't.

Edit: That should be "21 +" in the poll.

Last edited:

Millicent M'Lady

Exploring the infinite abyss
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on the day to be honest. If I'm working, I see loads (and sometimes far too many people, to be honest) but if I have time off, I could quite easily go for weeks before I had to see anyone. At other times, I am a social butterfly and I could talk to the country.

Is that a bit mental?!:D

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
If no clients show up, if I don't go to Buy-4-Less or Lowes or Home Depot or Barnes and Noble or go out to eat at noon or in the evening... 6-7, average, a day.

If I go to WalMart: 30,000.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Most days I interact with at least 50 or more people. I'm a nurse at a large hospital so my job forces me to be social :) Plus my friends outside of work :)

Last edited:

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Five. Some days more, but mostly, yeah. Five. My husband and kids. :)

Reaction score
I'm assuming it's not "How many people do you see daily?" but simply a matter of number-crunching?

And human contact? How intimate are we talking? Passing people in the street? Folks we talk to? How about talking to people we haven't met?

The only person I'm guaranteed to talk to every day is thethinker42. I also email Adzmodeus - we would talk on MSN but I limit my contacts to Lori and my aunt in Sydney, so I still have time to get writing done. I can talk to Lori for hours and she aids my writing, rather than hindering it.

I speak to my dad roughly every two or three days, see him maybe once a week.

I have places to go, things to do each week and while I might be in a room with upwards of one hundred other people, how many do I touch, interact with, talk to?

If we're discussing people you go out of your way to speak to, I'd guess fewer than five a week. And that's including Lori, who's not real as she's only online.

Rachel

Stuff and nonsense.
Registered
Reaction score
My mom and my two brothers.

*counts*

*counts*

3!

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
I moved here near my family to help out, so I see them on the weekends. The Cajun I see during the week and calls usually once a day when I'm seeing family. (He's usually seeing family at the same time.)

I'm not social when I go out at all. I'm not unfriendly, although I'm comfortable with a silence as long as everyone is doing their job. I work at a computer so to satisfy my 'mole person' like personality.

Online I'm flighty. When I get busy with things, my friends won't hear from me for weeks at a time in some cases. Bad friend am I.

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
So that makes about five people throughout the week on a regular basis that I see in person. Outside of bookstore and library people, grocery store people, or others I do business things with but don't always interact with unless provoked.

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
I know it takes all sorts to create a writing community, but do you all think that being a writer lends to being less social than what appears to be 'normal'? We do tend to spend a lot of time alone. I find myself sacrificing in some cases times when I could be online and social with friends (and if I were popular in person, I'd assume it would be hanging out with friends instead of chatting) in exchange for working on some writing work.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies, everyone! ButtonTheCat's question is really interesting, but I couldn't phrase it as well as she did.

scarletpeaches: Yes, I did mean number crunching. Anyone you say a word to would count, but not, say, someone you passed on the street without speaking to, or people you stood next to on a train station platform but didn't exchange a word with. I'm in the 0 - 1 camp; saying "Hi" or "Morning!" would count as memorable human contact to me, which is why my question includes anything from one word as communication. But, 'real life' only! MSN doesn't count just for this poll.

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies, everyone! ButtonTheCat's question is really interesting, but I couldn't phrase it as well as she did.

scarletpeaches: Yes, I did mean number crunching. Anyone you say a word to would count, but not, say, someone you passed on the street without speaking to, or people you stood next to on a train station platform but didn't exchange a word with. I'm in the 0 - 1 camp; saying "Hi" or "Morning!" would count as memorable human contact to me, which is why my question includes anything from one word as communication. But, 'real life' only! MSN doesn't count just for this poll.

Hmm. Well there's no-one I speak to every day.

I guess...in a week I speak to fewer than ten different people. My dad, my friend B, a few others like shop staff or librarians.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Elara...

The poll in my opinion should be multiple choice. My weeks are never the same. If I have my choice, I stay home. But, I rarely have my choice as there are chiro appts, dr appts, groceries to buy, animal food to buy, vets to visit, etc. Although you allowed for that as 'interaction', unless I know the person I wouldn't count it as such. Rare are the times I actually engage a stranger. Though it has been known to happen.

Of course I skew most test results, so I guess it doesn't matter. :tongue

Reaction score
And I was thinking...if MSN doesn't count, but exchanging a few words with someone does, then I can count the guy who served me when I bought a magazine and a chocolate bar this afternoon, but not tt42 who knows more about me than people I've even met. Seems a bit off to me.

I'd trust Lori with my manuscripts, but wouldn't trust someone I exchange a couple of words with a couple of times a week to give me the correct change half the time.

Marcus

sept 5th and I'm Out
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If talking on the phone directly work related counts then when i Work its like 50+....

days i don't work its like... ho hum... 3-5 lol.

Sure i'll take that monkey off your back and fix that problem for you because your not smart enough to do it yourself Sgt. So and SO! /grumbles