I've asked before but sometime must come an answer

rlfulgham

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lulu.com
[size=+0]Norman Mailer sent this endorsement to the publisher of my Civil War novel "The Hogs of Cold Harbor":[/size]

[size=+0]"This book is a discovery. It gave me so close a sense of what it was like to be a Confederate soldier in the Civil War that I began to think of my own army experience. Old fears, old excitements, even memories of my old equipment, and with it all, vivid as the sound of gunfire, came the smell of battle in the air of the book. I loved reading 'The Hogs of Cold Harbor". I was in the Civil War on the Southern side. This is no small education for a Northerner like me."[/size]
[size=+0](signed) Norman Mailer[/size]

[size=+0]The book was published by Whitmore Publishing, a POD outfit. Whitmore books are not returnable so my book is not in the bookstores. Nor is it listed by the online bookstores. When I told Mr. Mailer, he said, "Get the best mass market and hardback rights you can". I am lost with broken legs. Whitmore's email is [/size][size=+0][email protected][/size][size=+0] . The book is also endorsed by Ron Casteel, Chief of Staff, "Sons of Confederate Veterans".[/size]

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Not sure what you are trying to say. Did you self-publish? do you still have the rights Mailer mentions? Are you thinking of sumbitting it to a mainstream publisher?

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Richard, no matter how many times you post this information, you are not going to get a different answer. Whitmore is not a real publisher. Assuming your contract actually leaves you hardcover and mass market rights (which is not a safe assumption with a company like this--rotten contracts are typical), you are not going to be able to sell them on the strength of your book's performance with Whitmore. Nor on the strength of Mr. Mailer's quote. Author blurbs sell books to readers (maybe)--not to publishers.

I'm sorry to be so blunt. It's not that I'm unsympathetic--I know so many authors who've had devastating experiences like yours, and I feel terrible for all of them. But there's just no way around the truth: Whitmore is a waste. The best thing you could do would be to try and break your contract, and attempt to market the book again, to a legitimate publisher this time.

- Victoria

IWrite

Registered
Reaction score
The thing that makes it difficult to be too sympathetic toward Richard is that he is the perfect of example of someone who does the research, asks for advice - is given the facts - then ignores them.

He asked about Whitmore over at writers.net prior to signing and was told that they were not what he thought - yet he signed with them anyway.

This was after he "published" another book with PA. I believe he was advised to steer clear of them also, but ignored that advice as well.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
IWrite said:
The thing that makes it difficult to be too sympathetic toward Richard is that he is the perfect of example of someone who does the research, asks for advice - is given the facts - then ignores them.

He asked about Whitmore over at writers.net prior to signing and was told that they were not what he thought - yet he signed with them anyway.

This was after he "published" another book with PA. I believe he was advised to steer clear of them also, but ignored that advice as well.

a good point - and a warning to those who think that they might be able to break through the sandtraps that are set by vanity presses to ensnare authors.

*shrug*

live and learn, unfortunately... take notes, newbies - the scammers are out there waiting for you and will use any excuse to grab you and your money and your book.

*sighs*

Andrew Zack

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.zackcompany.com
rlfulgham said:
Norman Mailer sent this endorsement to the publisher of my Civil War novel "The Hogs of Cold Harbor":

"This book is a discovery. It gave me so close a sense of what it was like to be a Confederate soldier in the Civil War that I began to think of my own army experience. Old fears, old excitements, even memories of my old equipment, and with it all, vivid as the sound of gunfire, came the smell of battle in the air of the book. I loved reading 'The Hogs of Cold Harbor". I was in the Civil War on the Southern side. This is no small education for a Northerner like me."
(signed) Norman Mailer

The book was published by Whitmore Publishing, a POD outfit. Whitmore books are not returnable so my book is not in the bookstores. Nor is it listed by the online bookstores. When I told Mr. Mailer, he said, "Get the best mass market and hardback rights you can". I am lost with broken legs. Whitmore's email is [email protected] . The book is also endorsed by Ron Casteel, Chief of Staff, "Sons of Confederate Veterans".
Mr. Fulgham, it sounds like you need an attorney to review your agreement and see if you can get out of it, if that's truly your goal.