Agent/Editor Revision Notes...

myrmidon

i AM batman (not really)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
1979semifinalist.com
How long did you guys wait?

I'm barely a week into waiting for mine...I suppose that's only the tip of the iceberg...but anyone want to share how long they waited for their revisions - first pass or otherwise?

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
My first revision letter took 3 months. It's been longer or about that ever since. Some authors I know got them in a few weeks, but expect a few months. I know the waiting is hard (BELIEVE ME, I know!) Have some sugar and some starch and then wander out to watch the grass grow.

I hear it's soothing... ;)

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
My first two were just a couple of weeks but the last two were a couple of months.

Danthia

I don't remember specifically, but a month or two feels about right. And then they just keep coming :) Copy edits, then more copy edits, then another round of "Just a few more I caught on the last read through," more after that. (Though I imagine this varies with editors. Mine's a perfectionist, and I love her for it).

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
My first agent revision notes came with the offer of representation, so no waiting there. We did a second round, which came a few weeks after he got the revised draft.

My editorial letter on book one arrived in about a month. So far, book two's been in for 3.5 months and nary a peep. But my editor is swamped, so it's going to be a while.

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I asked the same question when I was waiting, 4-6 weeks seemed to be the average time. Good luck and try to be patient (easier said than done, right?!).

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
My contract was signed in March and I just started edits this week- so three months- But my original editor resigned and I got reassigned.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
4-6 weeks for agent revision notes. Don't ask me about my editorial letter. My book got pushed out and I think I had the longest wait of anyone...

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
A month for my agent's feedback and for my publisher (Putnam):
Bought Dec 6 2006
first editorial letter Dec 24
submitted editorial changes January 6 2007
second editorial letter end of January (minor changes)
There may have been another short one but I know my copyedited pages were sent February 20 and I had to have them back in four days.
My contract for putnam was signed mid February and I got my first check April 1 2007
My ARC came out April 15 in time for BEA and I had my first pass pages (proofs) in April as well. I had no idea the ARC was not really going to be the final published book lol! The hardback came out August 2007.
My book was called a crash because it came out less than a year after it was bought. This is really unusual and not at all necessarily good for the author.
So my time line basically tells you the fastest it can go...

wandergirl

~kirsten hubbard
Registered
Reaction score
under a week for agent revision notes.

had no idea editor notes take so long! eek

Crinklish

Registered
Reaction score
The Waiting is the Hardest Part

had no idea editor notes take so long! eek

They can take a really long time, it's true. For what it's worth, the reason is almost never "OMG my book is such a disaster that it took the editor three months just to explain what's wrong with it" :). It's often related to the proposed pub date--that is, if I acquire a book that I plan to publish next September, I know that I will submit the book to production around six months prior to that...so in this case, March 2010. I generally like to leave myself about a month for line-editing, so working backward, I need the revised manuscript by February 2010. But given that it's currently only June 2009, that's eight months in which to generate a revision letter and let the author have at it...when six months would still give the author plenty of time. (If I happen to know that a book will need multiple revisions, I adjust this timeline, of course.) But because I have that breathing room, and because I'm currently working on my Spring 2010 books, I'm not going to even start the Sept. 2010 letter yet. Basically, it's in the queue.

None of this addresses the author's building frustration, of course...that mostly needs to be treated with chocolate, home repair, and other distractions!

myrmidon

i AM batman (not really)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
1979semifinalist.com
Wow. Thanks for all the great feedback everyone.

Seems like there's a lot of room here for interpretation and depends on everything from you, your agent/editor, and even when the book is expected to release. <SIGH>

I'll go back to staring out the window listlessly now (I've been trying to work on my next project(s) but it's just not happening yet - so frustrating).

wandergirl

~kirsten hubbard
Registered
Reaction score
Crinklish, thanks for addressing my comment! When I think about it, as long as there's a pub date set, it doesn't matter in the slightest when the revisions are made in that time period. It doesn't hurry anything up.

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
I had revision notes over the phone on my first call ('the call') from my agent, and asked for an email as well to make sure I had everything down. That came two or three days later. I do have the impression that she's at the quicker end of the response range.
-Barbara

myrmidon

i AM batman (not really)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
1979semifinalist.com
My biggest frustration is that I have the summer (maybe through September) off before I have to start looking for work - and so I have this kind of perfect opportunity to really focus on the revisions for a couple months - but after that my attention and focus is going to be pretty split in getting/having a new full time job. I've expressed this to my agent and he seems in agreement that it's better for all of us and for the book the faster they can get me the notes, but at the end of the day, it's just going to happen when it happens...

Boy I hate not being in control :)