Of course my face is obscured, match.com...

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
So, I've been trying on-line dating, and haven't had much luck.

I'm up on Match.com, but I hadn't paid any cash, yet - thank god - because they deny all my pictures for my profile on account of my face being obscured. By my hair. Which is *always* obscuring my face, if you kind of think about it.

Annoying....

All my searches there land me marketing professionals and lawyers. Maybe, fantasy writer-types aren't their thing.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My 'internet dating' got as far as talking with a guy on a real actual phone. No sparks tho, so neither called back.

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
Match.com sucked. Having to pay to talk to people online? PlentyOfFish.com is where I met the Cajun. I think the online dating experience is way better. You get to know about the guy and what he is looking for before the date.

I've talked to a number of wonderful people online, not all were for me, and I'm happy with my results.

And why would you hide your beautiful face with your hair?

Brutal Mustang

Loves interplanetary chaos.
Registered
Reaction score
I second ButtonTheCat. I've met a few good people from POF. And what's great about it? It's free!

badducky

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
I sent the same picture over and over at Match.com, until finally it was approved.

I didn't bother paying. Investigating the women there led me to lots of insurance people and MBAs.

I have nothing against such folks, in general, but in dating I really get on better with people whose interests involve eating cheese, not in learning who moved the cheese.

I'm up at Plenty of fish, now. I can't say I like their website layout, but you gotta love the volume.

The reason I considered Match.com was my experience at OKCupid was one where everyone likes getting e-mail, but few seem eager to actually talk on the phone and meet. Seems like free dating sites don't attract people who actually want to date. It attracts people who put up an ad on a whim and figure they'll date if Mr Wonderful shows up.

But, if Match.com wants to introduce me to a vast field of marketing and insurance professionals who all confess to no love of books, or of books strictly professionally oriented, they probably wouldn't be interested in a game writer/novelist.

Hmph. It's still faster and easier than trying to meet people around town, when you're new in town.

badducky

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
The shitty layout of Plenty of Fish actually seems to encourage you to click on more profiles because you can barely make out the picture.

That's kind of... interesting.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Hit the library, badducky. Lots of bookish chicks there. I'm right up the street from you (Cumming) (the town, not the, uh...never mind), wish I had someone to throw in your lap.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Usually most dating sites do require a clear face picture.

Marcus

sept 5th and I'm Out
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
WOW, I've been internet attached at the hip since, hmmm 2000, and I've Never had the compulsion to do online dating.

seriously, no offence to anyone that likes it or does it, but nothing replaces real social interaction, and that comes from someone that just doesn't like people in general.

being a loner married to a loner makes for an interesting relationship. :) or at least can if your in my shoes...

Marcus

sept 5th and I'm Out
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
on the subject of social interaction with the opposite sex that is worthy of maintenance.

One piece of advice I'm still in awe of is to "Go down to your local hospital and Volunteer somehow." Your guaranteed to meet plenty of the opposite sex (if that is what your looking for) that is available, and Guess what, they have a good job and social skills because they work around sick people all day!

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
seriously, no offence to anyone that likes it or does it, but nothing replaces real social interaction, and that comes from someone that just doesn't like people in general.

The whole point of "online dating" is not to conduct the RELATIONSHIP online, it's to initiate based on some common interests and then move into the real world. It's just way to meet people that's easier than waiting for a friend to say "Hey I know this guy/girl..."

Although, that said, there's actually nothing wrong with getting to know someone online first. I did. I met my hubby once in person, briefly, before I started chatting with him online. And then we spent several months chatting, every day, before we decided to meet up again. And we lived in the same town. Then even after we started officially dating, I left the country for a year and most of our relationship was conducted online. Then I came home and 2 days later he asked me to marry him - we'd spent 6 months "in person" and 1 year "online."

For us, it worked. We're both highly intellectual people, excellent with written communication, more interested in ideas and beliefs than appearances. Now that we're married, we're also very physical... but we still spend a lot of time communicating in gchat simply because it works well for us.

Button

Resident in Question
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.calissaleigh.com
I'm not really the sort to go clamoring into bars or night clubs. Since I work from my own home, there's a very slim chance that I'd run into anyone on my own. I get to know friends and have dated from online places like PlentyofFish a number of times.

I've some other friends who have done the same thing. It's not for everyone, but it certainly is nice for people like me, or people who are shy. As a 'loner', I wasn't about to start going up to people and talking to them. It's the key of being a loner, isn't it?

My parents and some other people always roll their eyes and ask me, "How are you sure you know them? They could be an axe murder?" Seriously, like the guy at the bar or other places couldn't be an axe murder too? ;)

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All my searches there land me marketing professionals and lawyers. Maybe, fantasy writer-types aren't their thing.
Maybe the fantasy writer-types just get snapped up right away, hence they don't show up in the searches? ;)

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
My parents and some other people always roll their eyes and ask me, "How are you sure you know them? They could be an axe murder?" Seriously, like the guy at the bar or other places couldn't be an axe murder too? ;)

Exactly. I mean I don't even own an axe. So a guy with his own could be useful.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, but have you ever watched a guy swing an axe?