PDA

View Full Version : Major Problem - Dealing with the C.V.

KTC
06-19-2009, 10:16 PM
Just me having another mini-breakdown. This time about my lack of a CV.

Medievalist
06-19-2009, 10:24 PM
KTC if you've got high school, list the date of graduation. List the half-day workshops, too.

If you've got work experience, list that in Employment.

List your publications, and do include the samples. The education thing is only important in terms of specific writing assignments, really. Don't sweat it.

If you want me to look at it, PM me and I will.

KTC
06-19-2009, 10:28 PM
Thanks so much, Medi. I came to writing in about 2001-ish. I am lucky in that I have a stable of editors who know me and offer me articles...and who I can go to and query with quick emails giving them the gist of the article idea. I've really been spoiled in that respect. I have turned down so many exciting opportunities sweating about how the C.V. would look to someone who doesn't know my work. I'm going to write something up. Thanks for the generous offer.

K

WendyNYC
06-19-2009, 10:33 PM
I can PM you mine, KTC, if you think it will help. I included my educational background, but it's not the main focus.

KTC
06-19-2009, 10:33 PM
I can PM you mine, KTC, if you think it will help. I included my educational background, but it's not the main focus.

That would be great, Wendy. Thank you.

KTC
06-19-2009, 10:37 PM
That was fast. Thank you very much. That actually relieves some of the stress I'm feeling about tackling this. Thank you.

WendyNYC
06-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Am I hired?

CaroGirl
06-19-2009, 10:41 PM
I'm not a freelancer so I don't think I can help you too much, but, as "mature" writers, I should think our experience counts more than our education. Put the emphasis on what you've done and who you've worked with. Just don't let the fact that you're light on education deter you from submitted for stuff your qualified to do. If you're the best writer for the job, you're the best writer for the job. Period.

KTC
06-19-2009, 10:47 PM
Yes, you're hired Wendy. Thank you. You also reminded me to include volunteer work...which I have done a lot of in the field.

Caro...thank you for that.

Kevin, the panic merchant!

KTC
06-19-2009, 11:58 PM
Thanks, everybody. I think I've cooled off a bit. I just hate passing on these opportunities like this. Rough copy sent to Medievalist, with thanks to her and to Wendy for giving me a template to work from...and of course, to Caro...for the moral support. (-;

ccv707
06-20-2009, 01:20 AM
You deal with the CV by being nice to me, and giving me plenty of money because my transmission still isn't fixed, and perhaps gift cards to Borders and/or Barnes & Noble. And if I get upset, just tell me to turn the Giants game off because they're starting to frustrate me again.