how do get you romance story ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

writersliving

Registered
Reaction score
:idea: well me personaily I get lots of my ideas from realonships I know personailty and some from tv, some of them I make up myself. that's how I think of a love story. moslty from other people I know, I just make the story in my own version. how about you?:idea:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
LOL! My co-author and I write paranormal romance. It sure would be nice to have those sorts of relationships to watch to get ideas... uhm, or maybe not.:ROFL:

Don't know where we get the ideas. They just sort of happen.

Nicholas S.H.J.M Woodhouse

swooping after you
Registered
Reaction score
Ask parents, neighbours and people from the local residential home to tell me what love felt/feels like (for them).

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
I collect ideas from my reading, especially reading fanfiction. I find a character that really appeals to me and analyze why this is so. Fanfiction is great for this because you can look at lots of writers' subtly-different versions of the same character. I find relationship development patterns and think about which would be the most fun to write about. I have several notebook pages that are just a list of fun plot devices, like: truth serum, lost bet, taken prisoner, soulmate-identifying spell, heat cycle, gift of an origami flower, language barrier, mistaken identity, mind in wrong body, character initially perceived as animal/dangerous, etc.

writerjenn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferlynn.ca
Ideas come from all over. Watching the news, reading the paper, a conversation overheard on the escalator at a shopping mall, dreams. Heck, sometimes it can come from a single word!

As a writer, you never turn off your senses, so story ideas can pop up at any time. The trick is not to squash them when they do.

Jenn

RosettaStone

My Surroundings

writerjenn said:
Ideas come from all over. Watching the news, reading the paper, a conversation overheard on the escalator at a shopping mall, dreams. Heck, sometimes it can come from a single word!
writerjenn said:

As a writer, you never turn off your senses, so story ideas can pop up at any time. The trick is not to squash them when they do.

Jenn

Exactly.

Silly (or not so silly) things my family and friends do can be a basis.

Prompts from writing groups can be helpful.

A few days ago, I flipped on the TV to a channel where women were defending plastic surgery, primping, etc in order to land themselves a rich husband (‘if a man doesn’t have at least 10 million dollars in the bank, I want nothing to do with him’ is more or less what one woman said). Now, maybe a romantic comedy, plot is forming in my head where the MC tries to land herself a 25k engagement ring (and maybe a yacht to seal the deal).:idea:

My co-author and I write paranormal romance. It sure would be nice to have those sorts of relationships to watch to get ideas... uhm, or maybe not

LOL!

Femotica

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.femotica.com
anywhere and everywhere? :) dreams...... tv..... just sitting here thinking of odd combinations. and asking the question what if. that usually works wonders. i've usually got more ideas than i know what to do with.

Sonarbabe

Working In A Coal Mine...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
Femotica said:
i've usually got more ideas than i know what to do with.

I certainly know how that is. And when those ideas strike, it takes an act of congress to keep me from trying to delve right into that story. My muse has ADD, so when I can concentrate on one particular story idea, I do and pray that all of those other nifty ideas didn't slip through the cracks and into the abyss that is known as my memory. ;)

SLake

Banned
Reaction score
I have to agree with Sonarbabe because my method seems similar.

I think of a place and a time -- an environment. Then I'll be observing it through someone else's eyes -- someone who knows that environment. Not really a process of thought, but observation, I guess. I write down what I see and feel and that's the story.

Hey that's sounds a bit stupid, but that's what I do, honest!

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
As for me...I just think of something interesting and go with it....at times it doesn't work but that's par for the course.

Sonarbabe

Working In A Coal Mine...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
aspiringwriter said:
As for me...I just think of something interesting and go with it....at times it doesn't work but that's par for the course.

That happens a lot for me too. I wanted to write something that I hadn't seen done before. I wanted it to be romance. Let's face it, there aren't too many new ideas in our genre. So, when I got the idea for the hero to be a prisoner at a private correctional facility, I figured I had something there. I didn't think it would pan out, but luckily, I finished the first and am almost done with the sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.