PDA

View Full Version : Disney vs. Pixar vs. Miyazaki: The Inevitable Oscar Battle Royale!

Wavy_Blue
06-19-2009, 12:30 AM
Okay, so this crossed my mind earlier today, and I was wondering what you guys thought.

It has become well established that Up is one of the best films of 2009 (if not THE best) so far. It's obviously going to be nominated for best animated feature at the Oscars, and usually Pixar films are the dead giveaway winner in that category when they are nominated.

But wait! Some serious competition is coming Pixar's way this year.

First of all, Pixar's parent, Disney, will be releasing their first animated feature in seven years this Christmas: The Princess and the Frog. The trailers make it look pretty damned good and the animation looks breathtaking. And considering the team that is putting this film together, it is hard to think that this movie will be mediocre. Could it possibly be better than Up? We'll just have to wait and see.

But that's not all: Japanese animated film master Hayao Miyazaki's final picture, Ponyo, will be released in the states in August. Miyazaki has a resume that rivals Pixar's in quality, and his films are very highly regarded by film critics. There is a chance that Ponyo will be in the Foreign Film category, but if memory serves correctly, Miyazaki's Spirited Away was nominated in the Best Animated Feature category, and won (though it was not up against any Pixar films). But this is his last feature, and reviews of Ponyo are very positive.

The question is: who will come out on top? Pixar, Disney, or Miyazaki?

childeroland
06-19-2009, 01:02 AM
The last two times Pixar went up against a separate Disney film (2008 against Bolt and 2003 against Brother Bear), they won. Miyazaki's only been up against Disney once, in 2002 with Spirited Away, which of course won against Lilo & Stitch and Treasure Planet. He's never been up against Pixar, but Finding Nemo did beat out Chomet's Triplets of Bellville in 2003. Based on that history alone, it looks like Pixar, even though Ponyo's receiving the usual Miyazaki accolades (sweeping the Tokyo Anime Awards, special mention at Venice Future Film, etc.).

maestrowork
06-19-2009, 01:35 AM
Actually, it's not quite correct. Princess and the Frog is Disney's first HANDDRAWN animated feature in several years. Their last feature was Bolt.

Miyazaki has been around for a very long time. He won once for Spirited Away. Howl's Moving Castle lost to Wallace and Grommit... so as far as the Oscars go, Miyazaki doesn't have the pedigree as Pixar does.

I haven't seen Ponyo yet, and I'm sure it's wonderful. But Miyazaki's animation tends not to be as mainstream as Disney or Pixar, thus they don't have the kind of universal appeal the Academy likes.

Judging from the universal praise of UP (even better rated than WALL-E), I think Pixar has a UPper hand in this.

James81
06-19-2009, 02:13 AM
No Dreamworks, no care. ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing a handrawn cartoon again. Me and the kids were watching Aladdin on the Disney channel the other night and I was struck by how much I missed their old cartoon formula. Computer animated cartoons are almost TOO real. It's nice to see a cartoon that doesn't try to be real for a change.

I also forgot how cartoons used to have characters singing in them. Something you never see in cartoons anymore.

Leah_Michelle
06-19-2009, 04:47 AM
But wait! Some serious competition is coming Pixar's way this year.

First of all, Pixar's parent, Disney, will be releasing their first animated feature in seven years this Christmas: The Princess and the Frog. The trailers make it look pretty damned good and the animation looks breathtaking. And considering the team that is putting this film together, it is hard to think that this movie will be mediocre. Could it possibly be better than Up? We'll just have to wait and see.

God, this sent me to such flashbacks when I was watching the trailer. Just like the older ones.
I'm fully expecting all characters to break out into dance and love songs.!

Zoombie
06-19-2009, 05:13 AM
You know what was an awesome movie? Treasure Planet.

I liked that movie. Almost as much as I liked Titan A.E

/tangential musings

Personally, I don't think anything can pop Up's balloons.

...unless the Princess and the Frog somehow manages to both cure cancer and AIDS.

Team 2012
06-19-2009, 05:53 AM
Miyazaki's FINAL PICTURE????? Oh NOOOO!!!!!!

Yeah, Treasure Planet was pretty cool and got very little buzz or love.

maestrowork
06-19-2009, 06:09 AM
I really liked Titan A.E. Not too crazy about Treasure Planet but it wasn't as bad as some people said.

Zoombie
06-19-2009, 07:32 AM
Titan A.E pretty much inspired my novel, E.L.F.

At least, the whole...the Earth explodes bit.

Nothing else is the same.

willietheshakes
06-19-2009, 08:46 AM
Not having seen any of the three, I'm pulling for Miyazaki.

RW
(whose wife just got a Totoro tattoo)